Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can anything be done about vomit? Tired of it.  (Read 1945 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can anything be done about vomit? Tired of it.
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:44:52 am »

I'm tired of the vomit soaked surface that inevitably results. Is there any way to mod it out? I looked through the templates that included various liquids, but didn't see vomit specifically. It could be using one of the others, like slime or something I suppose. I would be happy if I could just change its freezing temp so that it freezes in the colder winters the way blood does. Anyways, anyone know, have thoughts, etc?

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can anything be done about vomit? Tired of it.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:45 am »

Removing [CAVE_ADAPT] from the Dwarf RAW will make them stop puking whenever they see the sun. That'll make the dwarves less effective underground buuuut.. it'll rid you of most of the vomit.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:54:08 am »

Vomit is one of those extremely fixed substances, like water or magma or glass. You could try throwing [NONAUSEA] into the dwarf definition, maybe it still works.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:30:41 am »

[NONAUSEA] might help (as suggested by scamtank) but I think [CAVE_ADAPT]s might have a fixed puke if an adapted creature sees the sun. And with the inclusion of LOW_LIGHT_VISION it makes CAVE_ADAPTs moot? (or does a creature still get boosts while underground with it?)

You can also mod out the [GUTS] tag on guts, so getting hit there doesn't make them (that being everything with guts) nauseous and feel the need to puke

EDIT:
VOMIT is a base game material like AMBER, CORAL, COAL(COKE:CHARCOAL), SALT, MUD, WATER, etc.
so it's not something that will be removable from a modding standpoint
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 10:32:54 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:08:10 am »

[NONAUSEA] should deal both with vomiting and gut hits, so no need to mod guts out.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:07:56 pm »

Removing [CAVE_ADAPT] from the Dwarf RAW will make them stop puking whenever they see the sun. That'll make the dwarves less effective underground buuuut.. it'll rid you of most of the vomit.

Cave adaptation is irrelevant to underground effectiveness (effectiveness of what?). The only thing it does is cause nausea and vomiting when aboveground after being belowground for too long.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 06:34:39 am »

Effectiveness of projectile vomiting when encountered a sun, duh.

rothen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 11:03:49 am »

I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned the dfhack command "clean all". It'll take care of your vomit, blood, and evil goo raining from the sky.

C4st1gator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 06:31:39 pm »

Well, I like the clean command for its simplicity, but the annoying habit of vomiting dwarfes still got on my nerves.

On one day, a group of lion men visited my fort and this was the moment, where I decided to switch my preferred species. As lion men do not cave adapt they were as good as any other sentient race, I thought, and created a new civilization.
Basically I took these felines and told them: Learn from the dwarves, take the good (Technology, ethics, crops), avoid the bad (Vomit) and become a civilization in your own right.
And they did, with some tweaks.
I then created  a new world and embarked with the lionpeople instead.
Then I realized: Plant matter doesn't feed them. Quickly, build a meat industry! Fish, hunt, anything that provides healthy meat!
The need for meat got me to finally recruit a militia and order squads of crossbow(lion)men to hunt.

That was a fun excercise and you could use any animalperson to form a new civilization. Some are easier, though. elephant men, for instance would be interesting to test.
Not for the challenge, but I do wonder what happens, when an elephant man Hammerlord uses his ☼Silver Maul☼ on an invading Goblin*. Also, I heard armor thickness scales with size. Are Elephant man mercenaries the answer to enemy archers?

*Or rather, their effectiveness in an actual fortress.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:35:11 pm by C4st1gator »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 08:57:11 pm »

IIRC there is no such thing as 'armor thickness'. it's just that smaller body parts and naturally smaller creatures are more vulnerable to attacks due to how contact area and volocity are calculated against armor's material density.

That said, I wish I could define armor thickness of shaped plates in raw, but that is simply not possible in the current state. If anything, your republican hammerman will fare better against weapons because they need more penetration depth to do serious injury compared to, say, a dwarf.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:42:41 pm by DoomOnion »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 09:21:48 pm »

IIRC there is no such thing as 'armor thickness'. it's just that smaller body parts and naturally smaller creatures are more vulnerable to attackes due to how contact area and volocity are calculated against armor's material density.

i'm reasonably sure this is wrong

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 09:29:48 pm »

i'm reasonably sure this is wrong

and I'm resaonably sure this is right. You can go have a look yourself. Combat formula does not include target creature's size when determining if it's a hit or not. Target(bodypart)'s size only comes to consideration when the hit goes through and the game has to check for penetration depth. The problem is that armor is only there to 'resist', and is only calculated when determining if the attack goes through or not. When it does get considered, it's material density(for iron and steel, that would be 7850 fixed, regardless of how many bars were used to make an armor) is used, not the item's size.

Coincidentally this is why arm/leg/hand/foot wounds are the most prevalent when you pit two fully steel clad, longsword armed fighters against each other in arena mode. It's because those parts are smaller than the torso, and are particularly vulnerable to force distribution that occurs when a weapon hits something. In fact, in this current version combat between two equally armed fighters using same materials and an edged weapon largely is resolved when one guy's wrist, ankle, or neck gets fucked up.

This is what frustrates me the most since I'm working on a total conversion mod right now. There is no way to accurately fine tune armor strength using the raw since armor thickness is not a thing. DF is a good simulation game, but the current combat system only enables almost 8th to 9th century combat, maybe up to 14th century at most where everyone is either unarmored or armed with maille. If a material's density is 7850, then it's 7850, regardless of the target's size. The attack will either not go through, or a miniscule amount of momentum will get transferred if it's wearing shaped armor. That said, what happens from this point depends entirely on the creature size. If the target is a size 200 rat or something, even the miniscule amount might kill or severely wound it. If it's an elephant man? probably not.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 09:35:47 pm by DoomOnion »