Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarfsday Winter Holiday Mod  (Read 8320 times)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
Dwarfsday Winter Holiday Mod
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:16:22 pm »

Dwarfsday Winter Holiday Mod

Spruce up your fortress with this festive holiday mod! Make Dwarfsday decorations at the Holiday Workshop and put them up around your fortress, trade with the cheerful Toymaker civilizations (totally not elves), open Dwarfsday presents (some of which contain booze!), and throw snowballs at those tree-hugging hippies when they show up in the spring! DWHM is not responsible for any wars started with the elves due to misuse of snowballs.

Download the mod here.

Spoiler: The First Dwarfsday (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Features (click to show/hide)

Enjoy the mod, and have a very happy Dwarfsday![/list]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:37:52 am by Jazz Cat »
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfsday Winter Holiday Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:21:41 pm »

This is version 1.0 of the mod, so it's fairly minimal right now. Feel free to comment or contact me with bug reports, suggestions for more holiday stuff, or assistance with some of the weirdness I had to work around (like the decorations being filed as "workshops" or reactions with multiple possible outcomes being strange about barrels).
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 04:46:00 pm »

I assume the "knitted" animal came from making knitted things that would normally only be able to be made out of leather? So you can make "knitted leather quivers" or something like that?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:12:02 pm »

I assume the "knitted" animal came from making knitted things that would normally only be able to be made out of leather? So you can make "knitted leather quivers" or something like that?

Sort of. The new holiday clothing is made of knitted wool for flavor, instead of sheep wool or alpaca wool. I wanted it to be randomly made of all three types of wool, but couldn't figure out how to get that out of a reaction.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:14:29 pm by Jazz Cat »
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 05:21:30 pm »

Sort of. The new holiday clothing is made of knitted wool for flavor, instead of sheep wool or alpaca wool. I wanted it to be randomly made of all three types of wool, but couldn't figure out how to get that out of a reaction.

Well, couldn't you make a custom material called "knitted wool" and just add all the "Knit sweater" etc. reactions that use that material to the respective workshops? It won't be considered wool and thus won't be stored in wool stockpiles, but it is otherwise equivalent.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 05:26:12 pm »

It won't be considered wool and thus won't be stored in wool stockpiles

Yeah, that's what I did first, but the dwarves weren't storing it even after I gave it the [YARN] tag. I figure it's nicer to have an extra entry buried in the pages and pages of animals you scroll through in the stockpile menus than to have the dwarves ignore their nice new sweaters and leave the lying around in the workshop.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 06:27:59 pm »

First of all, that was a 10/10 story. And like all good stories it had an important life lesson, "we do it because we can". I have a few possible suggestions, do with them what you want. I feel like some iconic dwarfsday hats would make things a lot more festive. Some brewable hot chocolate and eggnog (alcoholic of course) would definitely get everyone ready for the season. And possibly some growable missle toe that can be used to brew "holiday cheer" as well as use for decorations. Perhaps some candy cane clubs? Some iconic food could be added to the kitchen so there could be some tasty sides to the dwarfsday *Plump Helmet Roast* to make sure that all the young Urists get a balanced meal. I'm going to come back with more ideas as they come to me, but definitely a good start.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »

I'm glad you liked my story! I find the way the dwarves went out and murdered an entire forest quite heartwarming myself.

As for your suggestions - if you open a few gifts, you'll find some iconic hats (they're called "stocking caps" because I didn't want to say "Santa hat"), eggnog, and a few iconic treats including candy canes and latkes. Hot chocolate is a good idea, but all the food comes out of the same type of gift, and adding a second type of drink would require Urist McHoliday to drag a second barrel to to workshop on the off-chance that the present would have both drinks in it since barrels and multiple products in a reaction are kind of weird.

I like the growable mistletoe, though. Right now I'm shying away from adding in holiday stuff the dwarves can make themselves, but I might have to toss that in.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 07:48:15 pm »

Version 1.1 now has mistletoe, used to make wreathes and brew into mistletoe cider. It grows underground in winter.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 08:50:14 pm »

I downloaded your mod and have genned a world with it. I haven't tried actually playing the world and trying out the items in it, but my look at the error log has revealed this, in case this helps you fix problems:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 01:21:08 am »

Hmmm... Most of those are tokens that don't do anything that I guess I haven't gotten around to removing yet. I'm not sure what all the "undefinied plant material set to default" stuff is about, though.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 08:32:42 pm »

As of right now, the mod is mostly broken due to a diplomacy bug. Hopefully it'll be working again soon.

EDIT: Actually, never mind, the toymaker merchants showed up despite the fact that their diplomat left unhappy. They traded and everything.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:57:28 pm by Jazz Cat »
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 02:08:20 am »

This mod is absolutely hilarious. Now my dwarves have something to look forward to this Winter!

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 02:14:52 am »

I'm so glad you like it! :D Throw some snowballs at an elf for me.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 04:41:13 pm »

sorry for the necro, but mind if I reboot this mod for the holiday season?
Pages: [1] 2