Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, gnomes...  (Read 1744 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So, gnomes...
« on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:49 pm »

I'll admit that I have never seen one, but I still have some questions about gnomes.

a) while the wiki says that they are not tameable, can I still breed them, make tiny gnome armor, arm them with daggers and either put them on a chain to guard an entrance or let them loose in the arena?

b) wiki says that gnomeblight is useless, but what's stopping me from sealing my entrance with a line of gnomeblight?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: So, gnomes...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:00:07 am »

a)no

b)From the wiki:
1. Build your gnome cage in a sealable room, then link it to a lever.
2. Using a garbage dump activity zone, place one or more barrels of gnomeblight on top of the cage.
3. Forbid all of the gnomeblight, but not the barrel(s) themselves.
4. Wait until a caravan arrives.
5. Order the gnomeblight barrel(s) to be taken to the depot. Since the gnomeblight itself is forbidden, it will be dumped onto the floor.
6. Seal the room and pull the lever.
7. Watch the gnomes walk around in the pool of gnomeblight and slowly dissolve.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:10:33 am »

Could you be a bit more specific about a?

And yeah, I read the wiki, but that doesn't exactly qualify as useful.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:03 am »

Could you be a bit more specific about a?
gnomes can't equip anything (they are too small to use anything), you can breed them but there is no point since you can't butcher them, if you let gnomes loose in your fort they will (try to) drink all your booze (weather they are successful or not is up to the dwarves)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:35:25 am »

Well the wiki says following about dark gnomes:

"They're able to equip weapons and armor that are appropriately sized for them, but this is rarely seen."

now I know that they added an option to make human-sized armor, so i just figuered there was one for gnomes as well.

really good to know that I can breed them though, that *might* work. just imagine the awesomeness of a tiny gnome arena! (although, as you mentioned, they will not seek a fight , so that might be a bit tricky.)

Thx!

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:54:18 am »

the gnomes are 15,000 cm3 they can wear small clothes (kobold clothes) and I think they can only use large daggers, that is all they can use as far as I'm aware.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:22:23 pm »

the gnomes are 15,000 cm3 they can wear small clothes (kobold clothes) and I think they can only use large daggers, that is all they can use as far as I'm aware.
Can you make clothes sized for kobolds?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:06:05 pm »

Can you make clothes sized for kobolds?
yes, small size

Fearless Son

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 07:30:28 pm »

And large daggers are not craftable in fortress mode, so the most likely place to find them is off dead kobold thieves, usually made of copper (or maybe an iron dagger from a goblin snatcher.)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:26 pm »

Can't they be bought from human caravans as well? I thought I saw that once...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 03:15:29 am »

gnomeblight is said to be "useless" because it is an on-contact contaminant syndrome, and it is difficult to get it from a barrel into a condition where it will get onto said gnomes.

That does not mean it is impossible however.

A "reverse bathtub" works well.

Before filling the bathtub with water, set up a storage stockpile that only accepts gnomeblight barrels, then when the gnomeblight barrels are in place, you dump the contents. The dwarves cannot hold onto a liquid, so it falls onto the floor in a puddle. From there, one can add a little water if they wish, but the puddle of gnomeblight can often be enough on its own, as it acts like forgotten beast ichor, just on gnomes, and not on dwarves.

If the ONLY path through the fortress requires the gnomes to walk over the puddle, it will get on them, they will get the contact syndrome, and melt horribly.