Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bloodtemple- Human Hive Fort in the Jungle  (Read 125 times)

Trench Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voice Acting Samples and other things, check out my soundcloud too!
Bloodtemple- Human Hive Fort in the Jungle
« on: December 07, 2017, 03:26:44 pm »

With version 44 and its patches being released, I have made a new world.

Some music to accompany your reading of this post.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Welcome to the Mint Continents. A young realm with very little recorded history, monsters still stalk the lands and civilizations are fledgling. It is a small world, with sparse mineral scarcity, meaning metal is in a select few places.

This is Bloodtemple in year 8. It was founded in year 5- the world is young, recorded history had only begun 5 years ago and prior that was the neolithic times of barbarity and savagery, where sentient life was much at the whim of dangerous creatures that stalked the land. There is still many of those monstrosities roaming about, but the gods have seen fit to bless the denizens of Blood Temple with courage enough to face it.

The previous image is the ground level of the fortress. The interesting thing about Blood Temple is that it is built to reach the heavens... for both practical and spiritual reasons. A wooden hive, it avoids cutting down all the jungle around it, a vital resource and the main source of food for the population of roughly 60 inhabitants- for a 3 year fort in this game, that's pretty decent for a population.

This is the 2nd level right here. The museum, displaying artifacts we have pillaged from enemy civilizations or made ourselves. (Yes, you can attack other places now in DF as of update 44.01-44.02)

The bottom left corner is the museum and below it on the ground level is the library, the Liberation of Knowledge as its called. The Tavern is in the north bit, the Tongue of Arches. The third level depicted here is where the main habitation for many of the residents of Blood Temple is, and the common temple, the Temple of Flaying. In there lays a slab stolen from a demon.
Above is unfinished areas, but I have great plans at the very top to be a devoted spiritual center, a chamber devoted to each god, as high into the sky as we can get. We still got a ways to go.

This is some fortress statistics. Our warband of warriors is appropriate to our population size, about 2 squads, but they are made up of very skilled warriors. Swordmasters and a hammer master, all 3 of them grandmasters at that- with the rest of the force being varying in skill level but overall very well trained and honed in the art of war, equipped with imported bronze gear.

Our militia commander, Nitho, and his wife Emtha are head the military. Between the whole squad they have killed several goblins in raids, a meandering minotaur and a wandering ettin, Nitho claiming the minotaur kill and the soldier Ahdo, a lasher, killing the ettin.

While not part of the military, we also have a Jaguar man by the name of Epxa, who is a very strong and agile bonecarver who once adventured about having killed a cave dragon and a few great beasts like giant cave toads, giant hyenas and scores of other beasts that he encountered as a lonesome dart (read: crossbow bolt) and spear throwing hunter. He has shown no interest in joining the military as of yet and is content enjoying the luxury of civilization for now.

(P.S, if Toady or his good brother reads this, please note that there is a bug with adventurers claiming responsibility and fame for their kills. As for now while people do make figurines and other stuff commemorating Epxa for his feats, when he discusses it himself they always claim it is an unknown creature!)

The unfortunate thing about the site is that there is aquifers and the water table in this jungle site, the very reason it is so well nourished, is also a double edged sword when it comes to mining. Any attempts to dig down more than 3 levels past the layer of soot and soil is met with flooded caverns and water. Until there is some means to import mechanisms for possible pumps to drain the water out the gods have decreed that we reach for the skies and just trade for what we need... of which the jungle provides lots of resources to do just that. Bloodtemple is wealthy and can make up for its lack of mining more than enough with its other resources, as due to the stream and lush jungle surroundings Bloodtemple doesn't even need to farm, it can just gather nearby fruits, hunt nearby animals and eat the bounty of the river stream it sits on. Food is not an issue in this place.

Farms are therefore, mostly devoted to growing crops we can use to brew alcohol with or sew cloth with.

In our common temple area- The Temple of Flaying, there is a slab we stole from a demon. We place it in our temple to mock it, as it cannot defy the power of the gods. Outsiders say we are brazen for such an action, we say the demon is weak; otherwise it wouldn't have been as easy as us to rip it from them.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:32:02 pm by Trench Dog »

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodtemple- Human Hive Fort in the Jungle
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:01:47 pm »

I like it so far, is this going to be an ongoing story?
Got any spare, broken (or actually working) RAWs? Come drop them off at Modded Hell and we'll try to patch them in poorly with all the other eclectic mods we have. After all, confliction is what we do best.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=167813.0

Trench Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voice Acting Samples and other things, check out my soundcloud too!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 06:48:32 pm »

Yup. I'll go into more detail when I have the time, and I'll detail events as they come. I may draw a few scenes or people too if people are interested in that sorta thing. Won't be as grand in detail as Mong Kima (of which I highly recommend you to read, the dude's a good artist. Chatted with him a few times in the past.) but I intend to explore this lil world I created here and do this fort, and others in the same world. Adventurers as well.

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 08:14:16 pm »

Glad to hear it, I enjoy your writing style and would like to hear more from Bloodtemple. I would enjoy some art, but you don't have to worry about quality as long as I can, you know, recognize it.
Got any spare, broken (or actually working) RAWs? Come drop them off at Modded Hell and we'll try to patch them in poorly with all the other eclectic mods we have. After all, confliction is what we do best.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=167813.0

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:31:57 pm »

PTW

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:38:36 am »

Yup. I'll go into more detail when I have the time, and I'll detail events as they come. I may draw a few scenes or people too if people are interested in that sorta thing. Won't be as grand in detail as Mong Kima (of which I highly recommend you to read, the dude's a good artist. Chatted with him a few times in the past.) but I intend to explore this lil world I created here and do this fort, and others in the same world. Adventurers as well.

O: Wow thanks for the aknowledgement ! Really appreciated. And yeah you should draw a bit, it takes time but it's rewarding. Bloodtemple certainly has the support of the Nation of Pearls in its endeavors ! Go forth, for humanity !
Mong Kima, the illustrated and participative story of the world of Minbazkar