Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphics/Tileset Choice Help?  (Read 4755 times)

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graphics/Tileset Choice Help?
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:30:15 pm »

Hi all,

I just recently picked up Dwarf Fortress again and I'm hooked, as usual. Unfortunately, I have a small problem in that I find it difficult to play without a tileset/graphics. Mayday used to be my go to for this, but it appears it's no longer being updated. The closest similar tileset I could find is several versions behind, and I'm told that I'm missing out on a lot of cool features by sticking with it.

Can anyone suggest a Mayday-esque tile/graphics set for Dwarf Fortress' current version (v0.44.02), please?

EDIT: I see there's a thread here of community users trying to maintain Mayday's set, and what appears to be the primary retainer posted today. Not quite sure of how to install manually or whether the two files posted in that thread today are all I need. I always used Mayday's auto-installer. Spoiled, I know. :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:45:19 pm by Akoto »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics/Tileset Choice Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:41:13 pm »

Habbadax had been maintaining a version of Mayday pre-installed into Dwarf Fortress for Windows, but it's still on Dwarf Fortress v0.43.04.
The DFGraphics releases of Mayday are more up-to-date, but you have to install them into Dwarf Fortress for yourself.

The best solution, imo, is to use a Lazy Newb Pack. They all include an updated Mayday, and they make it much less tedious to switch between graphics packs.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 07:30:03 pm »

I gave your idea for using the Lazy Newb Pack a try, but upon loading the game, the version is 0.43.05. That's still behind. It does offer Mayday, on the bright side.

Did I do something wrong here? The link says the download is for the latest version available.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 08:35:16 pm »

Sorry about that. I forgot that you need to download the experimental version for Windows. You can get it here: dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13201

Note that this does not have Text Will Be Text or DFHack yet, but I don't think Mayday traditionally included those in his pack anyway. It includes a working Dwarf Therapist, though, if you use that.

Akoto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 09:37:36 pm »

Appears that works fine. I can't seem to import my old save file from the outdated DF version, but that's okay. I'll just have to start a new surface city!

Thanks for the help, jecowa!