Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: A long, regretful year has passed.  (Read 22245 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
A long, regretful year has passed.
« on: December 08, 2017, 06:28:12 pm »

Hey.

I'm not dead. Amostubal has written me a message, one among several that I've got about this... disaster. I've often tried writing this post but every time I deleted what I wrote and said to myself that I might do this later, at a better time. Obviously that worked well.

This post will probably be stupendously long, since I have to go through an entire year worth of time and explain what happened and why. For those that are not that interested in what will mostly by my private life, I'll add a TL;DR up here once I'm done.

TL;DR:
 - A mix up bad luck, too much work and RL stress led to the first time I missed an update.
 - I then spend time camping in the African bush, unable to do updates, too much a chicken shit to come clean about it.
 - I developed a depression over the last 1.5-2 years which brought me to wonderful new lows. (A lot better now)
 - Money donated on Patreon is all still there. Didn't touch it. You want yours back, simply write me a PM.
 - I'm sorry for being an idiot.

For those that want to know more, here we go. Strap on your best adamantine socks, grab your torches and pitchforks, and strap in.

I've always travelled. When I was 19 I started with it, and spend a year going round the world on a minimal budget. I added cycling to it after that, it's both cheaper and made me more independent of public transport. I cycled literally everywhere. Europe to South Africa? No problem. Southern Argentina to Canada? Yep. To China? Sure.

I've always been on the move, challenging myself. 50° c in Central Asia in the desert? Cycling across the Sahara? At -45° c across Siberia? All of that and more, I loved it. Appart from the physical challenges I also took up chess, lots and lots of reading and... Dwarf Fortress modding. Training my mind and creativity. For 5 years I've done mods and created Masterwork DF. It was destroyed several times by large DF updates, but hey, I loved it too. Not only the coding, but the ideas come to life and the community. Aka you.

I started DF in Buenos Aires, released Accelerated DF from Cartagena, the first Kobold Mode in Mexico... Combining programming with travelling was never a problem.

Then I turned 30 and decided that change my life. After all, 10 YEARS! had passed and maybe it was time to settle down. Build up a social circle, add some routine, live a life of comfort and luxury in the western world, without tropical diseases, wild animals and armed robbers.

Turns out, I'm shit at that. Huh. Who would have guessed?

I got a flat, a new girlfriend, weekly meetups for cinema and gaming nights, set apart Fridays for DF modding on a schedule and set up the Patreon since I now need to pay rent, planned a few smaller tours that I might or might not do, and tried to be normal.

The result: I got a depression. For over a year now, about one and a half. No idea when exactly it started, but looking back it's quite clear how and why. Despite that, I was still slogging along, doing reduced versions of what I loved. Instead of sitting down 10h a day till it's done, I programmed only 8h max on Fridays. Instead of an open-ended tour, I planned short trips.

I lost the parts of my life that brought my satisfaction and positive input from others. The rather unique skills I build up over my adult life where suddenly useless. Instead of the great adventurer braving the desert or mountains alone, I was just a jobless bloke at the local gaming night. My greatest achievements now where bringing out the trash or taking a shower on time. Yeah me. I thought about writing books, thought about more blogging, interviews, public talks... but I was slowly being dragged down by the milieu I surrounded myself with, people that hated their jobs, worked 9/5 and watched Netflix after that, I ended up way too long in front of my laptop, doing nothing useful at all.

The release schedule for Masterwork DF was actually fine for the first half year, when I ported from the old version to the new DF version, adding small parts here and there. But it got harder once I made larger updates. I ended up obsessing about that 64x tileset I made, which I hope is still used in some way, conflicting with the release on Fridays. THEN I made the mistake of adding unfinished parts of it (because stress!, I have to do a release on time!), which essentially broke the game when you used it. That was around Christmas last year. I simply couldn't get it done in time, but I thought it would be ok if I take 1 week off, due to the holidays and all.

Then I had a stroke of horrendously bad luck.

For half a year I had planned an expedition around West Africa. Mali, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Niger and Burkina Faso. Just before my flight to Ghana, the German post lost my passport. Now usually I have a second passport (legal in Germany), so that's not a big deal, but my backup passport just happened to run out 4 months from then, and they have to be valid for another 6 months if you want to travel. Much more importantly, the original passport had 5 visas in them. Let me tell you, visas for remote African states are sometimes a bit tricky to get and take forever. The one for Ghana cost me 200$, I had to go to Berlin (700km), and took 3 weeks to make. That was the Express(!) version. Should take 2-3 days, but they fucked up.

What happened in the end was this: Burkina Faso embassy sends me the passport, the postman arrived when I wasn't there, but didn't leave a note. It ended up 7 days at the local post office, then was send back to the Embassy. Never arrived at the embassy, instead went to a letter collection center. It's there, but it takes 2-6 weeks to get it back. It also took 3 weeks till it anyone was able to tell me that it was in said center.

All in all I had to get 2 new passports, do 1 trip to Munich, 3 trips to Berlin, I straight up lost one flight (didn't get my money back), had to book a new flight, change the flight date of my return flight, and cut off 5 weeks from the trip. I ended up spending over 1000€ because the postman couldn't be bother to hand in a slip of paper.

Since the tour was in limbo, and I didn't knew at the time when or if the passport would show up, and when I'll leave, I did not write here on Bay12. What I planned to do was to suspend the Patreon as soon as I knew when I'll leave, let you guys know that I'll be in Africa for 3 months, and continue afterwards.

What actually happened is that I got the passport back by complete surprise and sat in an airplane to Africa 2 days later. In those 48h I had so much to do, I simply forgot. At some point on tour I remembered, checked online, no torches and pitchforks were raised, so I hurried back into the African bush and told myself that it will be fine, I'll explain it after the tour. When I finally came back, I was so ashamed that I didn't dare look.

So, that's how that whole "I didn't update for a week, it will be fine" started.

Combined with a depression that took more and more over and sucked the joy out of so many things, that somehow turned into an entire year.

So back to my year in Germany and my great idea of routine and stability.

The past year I've done pretty much nothing. I've not just ignored you, Bay12 and MasterworkDF, but also my friends and family. I've disappeared from my social media (career suicide, if there is such a thing in my circles, since I get my equipment sponsored from outdoor brands in exchange for publicity), there are good friends that I haven't talked to for many months, and my mother got so worried she ended up writing emails and letters to all kinds of people, trying to figure out my where-abouts and if I'm dead or not. Several people assumed I was in prison in some third-world country.

Mh. Sounds rather bad now that I write it out like this.

I haven't trained in a year, I've barely done anything useful, been an asshole by ignoring everyone and everything online, hiding away spending my days wasting time on the first online multiplayer game I ever touched (Gwent), and pressing F5 a lot on Reddit and Imgur. It got quite bad. Sometimes I made an effort, felt super energetic and took up 10 projects at once and surely I'll get a grip now, but those soon collapsed on themselves.

Worry not, I'm better now. Steady progress over the past few months. What I was missing was goals. Comfort and complacency do not suit me. I'm right now in the process of learning a new skill and preparing a big tour for next year. I get up on time, I eat better, and among other things, I'm writing you this.

I wish I could have just been as straight forward as Phoebus, when he said that he stops his tileset for personal and mental health reasons, but at the time I did not know how bad it was and how bad it would get. A simple message at the start would have prevented this disappearing act, telling you guys that I'll take a break and pausing or re-writing the Patreon to fit this.

Which brings me to the topic of the Patreon and money. I did many things wrong, but I did not touch that money at all. Just to be abundently clear: All the money that has been donated for the Patreon in my off-time is still on Patreon. (For those that don't know how the website works: You pay money to Patreon, the company. The content creators can get a monthly payout or manual payout. I opted for manual.) Just like Bay12, I stayed away from their site and all your money is still there. Anyone who wants to be paid back the money he donated for a product that wasn't been created, please write me a PM and I'll send it back.

I logged in just now. I have 2 messages, 18 notifications and 29 patrons/83$ per month. Which are way less messages and a lot more people that forgot to cancel their pledges than I thought.

All in all I've gotten far fewer messages than I expected. No emails, maybe 1-2 PMs a month on Reddit, and a grand total of 12 messages here on Bay12. None from Patreon themselves about me not doing anything for a year.

Now, to the future: Will I continue modding DF, will there be a Patreon, etc? I have no idea. I'd love to, in some form. I've always been a very active and respected member of this community, but that is something that I probably can't ever get back. I let you down so bad.

I'm truly sorry. I know that everyone in the text above is not an excuse, but maybe you can accept it as an explanation.

PS: I haven't read anything on bay12 yet, so I'll start reading now.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:32:38 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A long, regretful year has passed.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:38:05 pm »

I don't check the Masterwork forums that often, but I know enough to understand this is a tremendous moment. Welcome back!
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 06:52:21 pm »

Thank you.

It's rather sad seeing the forum to inactive, but I have no one but myself to blame for that.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 07:05:57 pm »

It's just one of those things, I guess.

Really brave to post this, though. I think I'd've just disappeared off the edge of the world instead.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 07:09:33 pm »

Welcome back, Meph.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 07:10:19 pm »

welcome back meph.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 07:17:50 pm »

It's just one of those things, I guess.

Really brave to post this, though. I think I'd've just disappeared off the edge of the world instead.
Out of personal experience I can tell you that sadly, there is no such edge. I looked.

Thank you guys. I am being curious (terrified?) what I'll find in this thread when more people realize that I'm back.

Blazebase

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 07:22:41 pm »

Welcome back Meph; it's good to know that you are doing alright and the fact that you pulled through that low point.

I'm surprised, all things considered. I think most people would have turned away and forged a new path, burying the past. Means a lot to know that you were willing to come back and pick up were you left off - takes a lot of dedication and heart to do that.

Hope things continue to go well for you as they are now - if not better.
Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure.  ~Author Unknown

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 07:39:48 pm »

Hm. Surprised you decided to come back, or atleast leave an explanation as to what happened.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 07:44:04 pm »

I still support you, Meph. I know what a bitch depression is and how it sucks the will to do anything out of you. At the end of the day, your life and matters associated with it comes before any game.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 07:51:17 pm »

Hi Meph. I've never really used Masterwork, but a friend linked this thread to me. Have you been seeing a therapist? If not, I'd strongly recommend it. They can help you work through issues, help you with depression, help you unlearn bad coping mechanisms (like where you hid from everyone because you felt like you couldn't face them) and learn good ones to replace them, and more.

If you already are seeing a therapist, congrats on being willing to seek help. If not, you shouldn't feel like you have to do it on your own. It's also far better to see a professional therapist than to expect untrained friends or relatives or SOs to essentially provide therapy on their own free time.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 08:41:45 pm »

Hey man, welcome back. For myself I do not want any money back from the patreon. Just glad you are okay and happy to see you have returned.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 10:14:29 pm »

Even though I never really cared much for Masterwork, I warmly welcome your return to the community regardless. I know exactly how much depression can drag you down in your day-to-day life, and I'm glad to see that you're managing.

And on a side note, what luck that you're back just in time for the newest release cycle! :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 02:10:54 am »

whooo, welcome back... good to hear you are doing a bit better again after "last year was so bad" as you said...

will be interesting to hear what you will work on for masterwork once you read through all the updates.

dont forget to post a new patreon update too for them peoples... seems the last was 9th dec.2016 (exactly one year ago :D)

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 06:25:11 am »

For what it's worth, I'm glad you're back and feeling better.

I'll admit that I was quite upset about the whole "disappearing act" thing... but honestly, I can see a lot of myself in the way you describe being ashamed to look at Bay12 and hiding away from everyone and everything. Getting out of that rut is a bitch, so good on you for facing it and writing this post, even if it took a while.

I still check this forum every couple of days, so I hope to see an official update sometime in the future :)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5