Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: A long, regretful year has passed.  (Read 22143 times)

Metaltooth

• Bay Watcher
  • Icon of Sin
    • View Profile
Re: A long, regretful year has passed.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2017, 08:21:55 am »

Water under the bridge, theres nothing we can do to change the fact it happened. Maning up and telling the truth is a step in the right direction. Im sure all of us are looking forward to the next release of masterwork

Its good to have you back
o̗͕̘̯͈̺r̬e̶̻̗̲̹m͎̘̹͓̦̼̟͝o͕̮̦R͇̥̻̭͟ ̕ņ̗h̪̰̱o̢J͚̬̲ ̧͍̫̜̲͔̺é̤̩̫m̗͍̘̟͖͠ l͇̫̪͖͓̰͝l̕i̮k̻͈̺̱̗ ͙̱̠̥̳̱̘t҉̪s̢͈u͙͉̘̮͘m̳̜̞̳̞̝ ̴͖̠̖̤͕̱u̱̬͚̗͍͞o̢y̴ ̶͚̝̳͇̞e̢̠m̥̤̳̙̣̙̭͢a͚̳̞͉̭g ̛͙e̤̫͉̜͉͘h̗̘̱̤͚͘t̜̺͕ ̴͙͍͉̮̯ņ̘͉̼͓̲ͅi̜̻̰̫̘̠͕w̧̲̘ ̧͔̯o̱̳̘T̗͖

UristMcChladni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 11:02:42 am »

Glad you're back, and healthy. It sounds like things just sort of spiraled away from you, and it became harder and harder to reenter this place. I hope that the other thread about your patreon doesn't give you the impression that you have irrevocably lost the trust of this community. All the time that you put in is greatly appreciated, even if it's punctuated by absences.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2017, 11:15:37 am »

I really don't know how to respond to this, but...Good to have you back, man.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2017, 11:28:45 am »

Welcome back Meph; it's good to know that you are doing alright and the fact that you pulled through that low point.

I'm surprised, all things considered. I think most people would have turned away and forged a new path, burying the past. Means a lot to know that you were willing to come back and pick up were you left off - takes a lot of dedication and heart to do that.

Hope things continue to go well for you as they are now - if not better.
Thank you. :)

Hm. Surprised you decided to come back, or atleast leave an explanation as to what happened.
Not only you, I'd guess.

I still support you, Meph. I know what a bitch depression is and how it sucks the will to do anything out of you. At the end of the day, your life and matters associated with it comes before any game.
Thanks. :)

Hi Meph. I've never really used Masterwork, but a friend linked this thread to me. Have you been seeing a therapist? If not, I'd strongly recommend it. They can help you work through issues, help you with depression, help you unlearn bad coping mechanisms (like where you hid from everyone because you felt like you couldn't face them) and learn good ones to replace them, and more.

If you already are seeing a therapist, congrats on being willing to seek help. If not, you shouldn't feel like you have to do it on your own. It's also far better to see a professional therapist than to expect untrained friends or relatives or SOs to essentially provide therapy on their own free time.
I have not. As I've said, once I realized what was going on, I managed to slowly get better. Small things, which spiraled upwards. Last 2-3 months I've started planning the next big thing, and the mix of a friendly message, Toadys DF update and the 1-year anniversary of my absence brought me back here too.

Hey man, welcome back. For myself I do not want any money back from the patreon. Just glad you are okay and happy to see you have returned.
Noted, thank you.

Even though I never really cared much for Masterwork, I warmly welcome your return to the community regardless. I know exactly how much depression can drag you down in your day-to-day life, and I'm glad to see that you're managing.

And on a side note, what luck that you're back just in time for the newest release cycle! :)
:D Luck. I'm not sure many modders would agree on that. :P

whooo, welcome back... good to hear you are doing a bit better again after "last year was so bad" as you said...

will be interesting to hear what you will work on for masterwork once you read through all the updates.

dont forget to post a new patreon update too for them peoples... seems the last was 9th dec.2016 (exactly one year ago :D)
I'm not sure what to do with MDF right now... I can't really port it to the newest DF now, without Twbt and Dfhack. Maybe I start another small mod, to get used to it again.

For what it's worth, I'm glad you're back and feeling better.

I'll admit that I was quite upset about the whole "disappearing act" thing... but honestly, I can see a lot of myself in the way you describe being ashamed to look at Bay12 and hiding away from everyone and everything. Getting out of that rut is a bitch, so good on you for facing it and writing this post, even if it took a while.

I still check this forum every couple of days, so I hope to see an official update sometime in the future :)
Thank you. And this... is the official update?  ??? I mean, how much more official could it get?

Water under the bridge, theres nothing we can do to change the fact it happened. Maning up and telling the truth is a step in the right direction. Im sure all of us are looking forward to the next release of masterwork

Its good to have you back
And thank you too. :)

Glad you're back, and healthy. It sounds like things just sort of spiraled away from you, and it became harder and harder to reenter this place. I hope that the other thread about your patreon doesn't give you the impression that you have irrevocably lost the trust of this community. All the time that you put in is greatly appreciated, even if it's punctuated by absences.
Thanks. And no, not at all. In comparison to what I expected, people are surprisingly nice and friendly to me. A bit suspicious. ;)

I really don't know how to respond to this, but...Good to have you back, man.
Yeah, it's a bit rare that I post personal things here. I wasn't quite sure if it's oversharing, but at least it is an explanation.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2017, 11:58:34 am »

Welcome back! If you need any volunteer help with any potential modding projects or updates I'm sure I'm not the only one who is ready and willing.

misiekm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »

For what it's worth, I'm glad you're back and feeling better.

I'll admit that I was quite upset about the whole "disappearing act" thing... but honestly, I can see a lot of myself in the way you describe being ashamed to look at Bay12 and hiding away from everyone and everything. Getting out of that rut is a bitch, so good on you for facing it and writing this post, even if it took a while.

I still check this forum every couple of days, so I hope to see an official update sometime in the future :)
Thank you. And this... is the official update?  ??? I mean, how much more official could it get?

I guess I worded that poorly. I was referring to an update to Masterwork at some point in the future :P official, as in made by you.

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2017, 02:32:11 pm »

Welcome back Meph  :)

Thank you for sharing, we're all in this with you
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

Szarrukin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 02:53:12 pm »

Wow, welcome back! Masterwork was always "Dwarf Fortress 2" for me, and I was really sad seeing there is no Masterwork for 0.44... but now I see why.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 11:14:23 am »

I'm not sure what to do with MDF right now... I can't really port it to the newest DF now, without Twbt and Dfhack. Maybe I start another small mod, to get used to it again.

newest TwbT and DFH are 44.02alpha-r1 heheh you can do that port.

I'm glad to see you are back; maybe the begging me to step back into the fray will slow down or stop.  Anyways If you need any help with the code I did produce go ahead and ask me.  There was a method to the madness, and I tried to leave good notes in there.  I did several file changes, mainly to speed up the load times and reduce the fps lag, along with much needed fixes.  Its a better start then 1.23, but its up to you.  I would suggest keeping individual file sizes down, as after some testing I found DF runs a lot faster with more stuff spread out across separate files then it did with more stuff in large files.  Additionally I moved a lot of reactions out from under individual races if they were used by more than one race... this allowed me to group up reactions by style (such as human shops based on guild, Pottery system, etc).  And meant the file naming makes sense.   Other than that, I moved some stuff around, reducing file save size; and I fixed several tags that were causing end of file changes when activated from the launcher.  realigned all the tags in the launcher too, there was some that weren't functioning at all, and others that had mismatched length causing the mentioned EoF issue. 

I'll return to working on my other little projects.

Again, glad to see you are back.

p.s. don't resurrect the language mod... it was too big for x32 and still too big for x64.  It was the source of many memory bugs.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

tranquilham

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANSLATION:OWO]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 11:40:15 am »

great to have such a great modder back. ive been through depression, it isn't any fun. i know how it feels. hope Masterwork can become a thing again. if you ever need volunteers to help, i can try my best to contribute.

also, was thinking of making a community fort/succession fort to celebrate Meph's return, as well as get experienced with these things.
anyone interested?

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2017, 06:04:18 pm »

Thanks for the heads up, Meph. Depression can be an incomprehensible disaster - I had a six month bout year, myself. I hope you continue to feel better as time goes on.

On to business - could you give a direct answer as to whether or not you'll allow others taking over MDF?

There are a few folks around here who want to run with the development, but will not unless you give permission. If you aren't going to get back to it, then someone should, IMO.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 06:32:22 pm »

I've always considered MDF to be open-source. All parts written by me are free to use.

That being said, I wouldn't wish it upon anyone to work his or her way through the mess of files that it is. It's always hard working with other peoples code, especially if it has no comments and is an amalgamation of several years work.

I'll make a proper release soon, based on the work that Amostubal has already done. Then I finish the tileset. Then lets see.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

wags

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 10:02:23 pm »

Hey. I'm a new player of Masterwork DF, but I stopped after the 44.02 update to harvest more content. I must tell you that there is nothing more important than your own personal life. All I ask for any future leave/breaks is that you inform us and possibly appoint a regent in your stead (if possible). With that out of the way, thank you for coming back. That is all.
Have a nice day!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 12:47:21 am »

Welcome back, Meph
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2017, 12:51:42 am »

Welcome back, despite the fact that I joined only this year. ;)
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5