Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make caravans less scared  (Read 676 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Make caravans less scared
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:22:34 am »

So another human caravan ran and fled off the map when they bumped into a raven that was scared and getting away from them.
This time they didn't leave any trade goods on the map.

If they do, some people might think it's nice free trade goods, but to me it's just an OHNO NOT ANOTHER HEAP OF FPS-ENDANGERING CLUTTER.

Could caravans be made less scared, so they only run away when they are actually being attacked by large predators or sentient enemies?

EDIT: shit, they did leave two heaps of clutter

EDIT2: crap, it left invisible ghost items at map edge too
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:29:57 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Make caravans less scared
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 12:23:06 pm »

This seems like another bug that's probably in the plans to be fixed eventually.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Make caravans less scared
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:18:48 pm »

It's been broken like that for so many years that I now assume it's not a bug, but rather a game mechanic that requires posting about in the suggestions thread.

EDIT: to be fair, it used to be broken in even worse ways, with 'friendly' caravan guards never leaving, and similarily bugged caged merchant animals. Toady did do some work at it at some point, but the core issue, caravans spooking way too easy, remains.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:21:39 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479