Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Archery range only training when no orders assigned  (Read 1501 times)

BashoThumdodok

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Winni..LOSING. Yeah.. I love losing .....
    • View Profile
Archery range only training when no orders assigned
« on: December 09, 2017, 02:06:26 pm »

Hey it's me again .. yeah my first fortress and having a hard time set up everything and working everything out :/ goodbye little dwarf crushed under the bridge..
As said in the title i've assigned archery ranges to a squad but if i set active/training they will just do nothing and drink booze and if i put no order some times on will go and train and then go away do you know why it's like this and how to make them train more consistently ?
thanks in advance !
I love Winni..LOSING. Yeah.. I love losing .....

Paralyzoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery range only training when no orders assigned
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 04:15:12 pm »

Are the archery ranges assigned to that squad? Squads only mass train in barracks and ranges assigned to them.
He felt aroused after seeing the goblin Ramkal Drunkensiege's dead body.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 04:27:32 pm »

- Archery training is a low priority job. So even on full training schedule, a marksdwarf will not train at an archery range full time.

- To maximise time spent at the archery range though, make sure to have a training bolt stockpile nearby, that DOES NOT USE BINS.

- Also, when there's no enemies to shoot, and you want them to train, remove any bolts other than training bolts from their military >> ammunition screen.
It should only have either bone bolts, or wood bolts, and these should be set to be used for both training and combat. Sounds weird, but it's wonky like that.
If enemies arrive and you need live ammo, reverse the process. Remove all training bolts from that list, and put metal bolts in there set to both training and combat use.

- Also make sure that your archery targets are set to be shot at from the right direction. If you <q> over them, there's an option to change shooting direction

- lastly, make sure that your ranged squad does not have a barracks for sparring, but really, only an archery range, or they will go individual combat drill / spar in the barracks rather than practice shooting.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 04:30:25 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:32:45 pm »

Disagree with the last point. My archers are happily spending time at both the range and learning essential survival skills like dodging, biting and crosbbow recognition in the barracks.

BashoThumdodok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 05:46:28 am »

for the moment i've only wooden bolts anyway
the archery target are set in the right direction as they train when they have no order assigned it's just when i put them on active training schedule they stop training

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 06:10:43 am »

Disagree with the last point. My archers are happily spending time at both the range and learning essential survival skills like dodging, biting and crosbbow recognition in the barracks.
They do, but archery training slows down because of time spent in the barracks. That being said, it can't hurt to train marksdwarevs in melee combat. I just usually don't do it simultaneously. I get their marksdwarf skills up first, and after that, start the wrestling and armor user training, followed by the shield user training.
(Don't train your dwarves in shield use before they're good at armor user. Sparring dwarves that use shields will almost never land a sparring blow that can train armor user anymore, they block it all with the shield. Same for wrestler skill and equipping a weapon.)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 07:54:48 pm »

You... ATOMSMASHED... a dwarf? :D :D :D

on the note of training marksdwarves: Since live targets train the skill a lot faster then shooting at archery targets, I usually just have a barracks for them, chain something to the effect of a blind cave ogre to a wall where the archery target usually would be. then I order 1 dwarf to kill said ogre. they will do it immediately, and it trains the skill pretty fast. and kills the cave ogres...

you may want to give the dwarf wooden or bone bolts, to lengthen the training, and you may want to keep a fortification or vertical bars between dwarf and ogre, so that he wont run and bash him with his crossbow instead... unless thats what you want.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

BashoThumdodok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 09:15:11 am »

Another dwarf smashed another dwarf O:)
i don't really found any ennemies .. just a few ambushes that got destroyed pretty easily and i haven't found any caves yet :/ so i'm asking myself how to one day get legendaries axe dwarves and marksdwarves but they don't really get up in skill ..
And how do you capture caves ogres and things likes that ? just putting up cage traps ?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:46:20 pm »

You know, I see this issue a lot, and I seem to recall having it when I started, but I haven't had any issues with archers using the range in a long time.  Here's my typical setup:

Put archers in squad with archer uniform
Have bolts (Ideally in a binless stockpile, but since yours have bolts this isn't your main problem)
Put a bed in the room with the targets.  Make a room out of it, assign the archery squad to train on this bed (This is a barracks)
Make a room of each of the targets, assign each target to allow the squad to train on it.
(Now you have a barracks room from your bed, with archery targets in it, with each of those targets also having a room. So you have a bunch of overlapping rooms)
Have the squad scheduled to train. Default training orders are fine.(Active/Training)

This is all I do, and so long as they have access to xbows, bolts, and the training room, they will go and use the archery range while set to train.  They will also do so when they aren't set to train, albeit at random when they feel like it.  But they definitely use the range more when set to train.

Another thing that might be contributing, is that from what I've read, very low skill archers are less likely to use the training range.  Now, I use my archers to hunt the various wildlife on my map, so that activity could be helping me get over that initial low skill hump that most people notice.

Finally, remember these dwarves are lazy and live to disappoint you.  No matter what, they're not going to stick to archery training as much as you might want them to.  But they certainly should be training at least sometimes when set to train.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 10:41:27 am »

On a sidenote, since you asked about legendary axedwarves, 2 years in active/training does the trick, if they have a room to train in.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 01:46:27 pm »

My current squad trains in hammer and are hammer lords fairly quick. 

Then I add crossbows in their uniform. 

They shoot a few shot, then proceeds to bash enemies with their steel crossbows. 

I have plenty of bolts and use no bins. 

I also have plenty of archery targets assign to the squads. 

At the time they are set to train in in both a barracks and at all archery targets, only a couple will actually use the archery target. 

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 01:04:03 pm »

Well, if they are hammerlords with crossbows, that might indicate that they actually have a level of self-awareness, in that they will use the type of attack they are best in. At any rate, there is some interesting !!since!! that could be done here.

BashoThumdodok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 02:54:35 pm »

haha they have everything they need that's the problem if i set them off duty they'll train sometimes and if i put active/training they just stop going ..
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:00:39 am by BashoThumdodok »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 09:09:42 am »

haha they have everything they need that's the problem if i set them off duty they'll train sometimes and if i put active/training they just stop going ..
If you set them Active, they should use the available targets. I would go through the list on the wiki here. Also, check their ammunition to see if it is marked for both C and T. There was an issue with assigning different ammo types for training and combat but am not sure if that problem still exists. The issue was something along the lines of, once they put combat ammo in their quiver, they had no training ammo to train with and wouldn't switch ammo to train. If they still do not train, try to set up a new archery target (following the wiki list) and see if they try out that one.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

BashoThumdodok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 09:36:23 am »

The flag for active/inactive seems to get mixed up, so marksdwarves will only use archery targets when they're inactive.Bug:6070

this is from the wiki
seems like its a know bug ^^
Pages: [1] 2