Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Education is pretty much the worst  (Read 913 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Education is pretty much the worst
« on: December 16, 2017, 01:38:20 pm »

Almost all of my 200 dwarves are reading books rather than working. There is a huge cleanup after the last siege and they all stopped dumping to read.

They won't stop.

EDIT:
I turned off the library and taverns and now they are just listening to poetry.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 01:46:05 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Education is pretty much the worst
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 01:55:13 pm »

Send in an adventurer to convince them all of the worthlessness of knowledge.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 02:04:40 pm »

I just want them to dump some stuff! Then they can go read about pulleys. How do I make them go dump things ;-;.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:26:16 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:25:07 pm »

Garbage hauling is a very low priority activity. However, you may very well have forgotten to change the setting for collecting garbage outdoors, as it defaults to false. Doors/drawbridges may still be locked/raised as well. It's not burrows, as garbage collection + path + collect from outside => constant spamming.

Edit:
Also, check that the stuff isn't forbidden, as I think the default is to forbid items on death (which is a good thing: see spamming & burrows above, or civilians rushing out onto the battle field to grab used blood soaked underwear if burrows are not used).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:28:06 pm by PatrikLundell »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 04:47:30 pm »

Yeah no those are all good ideas, but I unforbid everything and they went out to collect a few pieces of it before taking a collective unending break ;-;

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 04:56:53 pm »

This is why you have to manage your influx of new books carefully. If you buy 10 new books from the caravan, all your dwarves will want to read all 10 of them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 05:16:37 pm »

No I have folks writing books. Lots of books.

So will dwarves only read a book once? If I just let them alone, will they read all the books in the library and be done?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 02:51:57 am »

Suggestion: Book Burning

Nuhaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 03:31:33 am »

Suggestion: Book Burning

Yup. Time to wrestle the books away from your dwarves, burn almost all of them, and sequester a few privileged scholars inside a small room for a few years with your finest Dwarven erotica and lots of booze. And lots of tallow roasts.
Before this mod, I never pitied the bad guys in any of the fantasy novels I'd read. The undead lich king always seemed like such an uber-menace, but now I know his secret pain of having morons for minions, a vampire doctor just waiting for him to go to sleep, and a constant feeling of anger and depression because he's one armor stand short in his bedroom suite.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 10:11:07 am »

Note that the worst manifestation of reading addiction can be seen with dwarves that just grew up into adulthood. They'll want to read every last book in your fort.
Allowing dwarven children to read woould fix that, and open up possibilities for advanced childcare and education.
"Ok Urist junior, here's books on the worthlessness of peace, and the value of cunning. Have fun."

Best way to manage it for now, is to restrict the number of tables in your library to how many dwarves you think you can spare at any time. My library has 3 tables and chairs, I'm contemplaing removing one (since I only have 19 population)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:14:30 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 03:25:25 pm »

oh, good to know.  I have four tables in my library and was planning on adding but not now.   :o
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 01:39:23 pm »

Hmm. I'll have to look further into this today. I could swear I had more dwarves reading than I had tables and chairs in the library. I have a pop of 200 and maybe..... 20 tables/chairs?

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 01:46:40 pm »

oh, good to know.  I have four tables in my library and was planning on adding but not now.   :o
Hmm. I'll have to look further into this today. I could swear I had more dwarves reading than I had tables and chairs in the library. I have a pop of 200 and maybe..... 20 tables/chairs?
I think they don't need tables and chairs to read (more than likely just boosts happiness) so they are just standing around reading books.

I think reading is caused by something in the raws, so copy and paste the reading raws onto children. that should make it so new adults won't spend all their time reading.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?