Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Let's Rule in King of Dragon Pass  (Read 12527 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Let's Rule in King of Dragon Pass
« on: December 09, 2017, 02:17:11 pm »

"King of Dragon Pass is a 1999 strategy/simulation computer game published by A Sharp. Set in the fictional world of Glorantha, it depicts the lives and fortunes of one of several barbarian clans, settling the untamed lands of Dragon Pass over the course of several decades. The clans bear some similarities, such as fyrds and lawspeakers, to the Iron Age Nordic peoples."-Wikipedia

In other words, it's a choose your own adventure game with sim elements where you control a tribe of Germanic-style colonists. The setting of Glorantha, also mentioned above, is very expansive and can be read about more here.

I'm going to be playing the Steam version, which is a port of the mobile version of the game. There are some new events, but the main differences are in the UI, which is a lot less thematic in this version.

Also, yes, I'm totally doing this because the Choice of Rebels LP reminded me of it.

Let's get to it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Decide whether you want to party, learn secrets, or sit around in armor.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:10:20 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Rule in King of Dragon Pass
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 02:24:35 pm »

Full dwarf run.

WE DRANK.

EDIT: Also you might like to rescale the images.

EDIT2: I'd say less Germanic and more proto-Celtic who become more Germanic when they found the Kingdom of Sartar (which is what this game is about).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 02:29:42 pm by MachinaMandala »

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 02:35:18 pm »

Full dwarf run.

WE DRANK.

EDIT: Also you might like to rescale the images.

EDIT2: I'd say less Germanic and more proto-Celtic who become more Germanic when they found the Kingdom of Sartar (which is what this game is about).

The images better now? For whatever reason they didn't look quite right when I tried resizing them earlier.
Wasteland 1 & 2

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 03:03:18 pm »

The images better now? For whatever reason they didn't look quite right when I tried resizing them earlier.

They're still a little bit big and I'm on a pretty big monitor. I have to scroll to see the text on the right hand side.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 03:21:33 pm »

DRINK

Getting completely pissed with the gods is what mythology is all about.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »

123, 123 DRINK
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 06:14:53 pm »

Alright, it appears that there is no way to save and exit during an event. This isn't a big deal right now as there isn't any randomness in the opening, but it does mean I'm going to have to leave the game open while the votes for most events are happening . I think about 4ish-10ish (American Central Time) should be long enough for the votes to come in, but if need be I can keep my computer running through the night and update whenever I get up.

As for events that come one after the other... well I guess we'll figure those out when we get there.

Spoiler: the dance and pottery goddess' don't have the best blessings.

Vote for Best Goddess Chalana Arroy already you filthy ducklover.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 06:26:26 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

MachinaMandala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 07:04:13 pm »

We joined our drinking bro Orlanth and his bro-son Odayla in hunting a bear.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 07:16:27 pm »

Jested's Settlement, I'm imagining screwing over other civs at a trade depot but in ancient times.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 07:32:50 pm »

Calling in a medic!
Lets help patch up our god-buddy.

As for running the LP, the some events are triggered by the game state (usually, if something happens in Fire season, and you reload to the previous Sea season, the same event will trigger when you advance to Fire season).  Thus you can give the event then reload to the season prior to play out the votes, at least I think that is how I handled this problem during my LP.  I would also advise making at least some decisions yourself, as that is the crux of the game and your progress will slow to molasses if you want the readers to vote on everything (its why mine died).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2017, 11:33:15 pm »

Dwarves are primarily known for two things: drinking, and crafting. Also digging, but that isn't an option. Therefore, my vote is learning how to use the Marking Bone. We shall create the finest signs of power.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 09:05:39 am »

Calling in a medic!
Lets help patch up our god-buddy.

As for running the LP, the some events are triggered by the game state (usually, if something happens in Fire season, and you reload to the previous Sea season, the same event will trigger when you advance to Fire season).  Thus you can give the event then reload to the season prior to play out the votes, at least I think that is how I handled this problem during my LP.  I would also advise making at least some decisions yourself, as that is the crux of the game and your progress will slow to molasses if you want the readers to vote on everything (its why mine died).

The Steam version only allows me to reload to the beginning of the year, so I don't think I can do that.

Yeah, I'll definitely handle some of the more generic events myself once I get an idea of how people want the clan to act. Definitely will be handling most of the sim stuff myself as most of its pretty ehh to vote on besides raising temples and raiding.
Wasteland 1 & 2

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 05:34:05 pm »

Since the vote is tied I've taken the executive decision to pick Lhankor Mhy. Why? Because runes of power are extremely dwarfy. That, and all Lhankor Mhy priest(esses) have to wear beards, making him the de facto god of beards and therefore also very important.

While waiting for that to be voted on, let me show you the choice after that one.

Suffice it to say that this choice has also been made by executive decision.
Wasteland 1 & 2

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 06:12:38 pm »

Dwarves do not keep slaves. Unless they're duergar, I guess, but screw those guys. Real dwarves do all their work with their own hands, so they may be proud of what they accomplish.

As for our ancient foes...I mean, elves vs dwarves is a popular favorite. However, I think that the true enemies of the dwarves are goblins. Unless Tada the Green is a goblin or other orcish creature, I vote that our traditional enemies are the trolls!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 06:23:48 pm »

Dwarves do not keep slaves. Unless they're duergar, I guess, but screw those guys. Real dwarves do all their work with their own hands, so they may be proud of what they accomplish.

As for our ancient foes...I mean, elves vs dwarves is a popular favorite. However, I think that the true enemies of the dwarves are goblins. Unless Tada the Green is a goblin or other orcish creature, I vote that our traditional enemies are the trolls!

Hmm, you have a good point. Elves also don't really do much as the clan enemy in this game, but I'm pretty trolls can give us a game over if we don't handle them well. I take back my executive decision on clan enemy since there actually is a bit of a choice here that I didn't think about.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 06:25:53 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8