Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drowning chamber  (Read 734 times)

BashoThumdodok

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Winni..LOSING. Yeah.. I love losing .....
    • View Profile
Drowning chamber
« on: December 10, 2017, 05:11:29 am »

ayay guys it's me again ! now i'm on with a drowning chamber i've read the wiki and other posts but i've trouble understanding how to set it up and mostly for the drainage

https://imgur.com/a/8h3XA

For exemple how should i do it if i want to make a drowning chamber out of this corridor ? ( if it's even possible i guess i can flood it easily if i just make floodgates and open them but otherwise ? and how to drain it ?
Thanks in advance !
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:13:18 am by BashoThumdodok »
I love Winni..LOSING. Yeah.. I love losing .....

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning chamber
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:23:56 pm »

Add a pump drawing from a grate pumping into the corridor through a fortification to the side of a corridor wall to add water.

Draining is easy if you have infinite water source, just open a bridge to let water in and close again and smash water/on top of a minecart on track stop dumping into a wall/into map edge fortification. If not, it's bit trickier - you can use downstairs with retracting bridge to move water downwards without any 1/7s lingering on floor and then another pump to draw water from this bit larger reservoir 'till the chamber is 2/7 and the first pump's water tank is full again (and that water tank being bit larger than chamber so it will only be drained to 2/7 too.)

Also, it might be bit short -about 30 tiles from start to end. A walking dwarf crosses about 10 tiles in the time it takes a bridge to raise after a lever pull; much more if they're sprinting and agile, and you want to trap more than 1 enemy at time. Maybe move the bridges further apart and add doors at the end that you can lock when enemies are about to pass through.

BashoThumdodok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:21:30 am »

so if i want to use the water on the left i'd have to dump in downwards and than move it up with pumps again ?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 03:59:30 pm »

If you don't have an infinite water source, yes. This is because if you move it sideways 1/7 water will remain on the floor and then evaporate, which means you'd lose small fraction of the water in the tunnel with each use.

If you're clever about it, you could probably do it with 1 bridge and pump you turn and off as needed, with reservoir the water rests in beneath and reaching under the pump input tile.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:01:20 pm by Fleeting Frames »

BashoThumdodok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 11:47:42 pm »

I've no idea how to use pumps but i guess i've no other choice than to discover water mecanics by myself it''s jsut hard to know where and how to place it
but thanks for the help !

Broms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 07:28:36 am »

Sounds like you've got some FUN in your future.. Do yourself a favor and check out the wiki for water pressure, it will help mitigate your losses!

BashoThumdodok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 07:38:25 am »

haha the sad part is that it's my first fortress and has hold a view years and i don't want to see it disapear because my plumber didn't know how to put the pump !
if someone would have some screens of their drowning chambers it would be greatly appreciated !
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:40:15 am by BashoThumdodok »