Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Will bins ever be fixed?  (Read 5259 times)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will bins ever be fixed?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 10:30:38 am »

I believe joaodosgrao does not speak english as his first language, so perhaps we should just chalk up any perceived abrasiveness to an unintended issue of language, and assume good faith. 

It is a good idea to make sure we're all on the same page regarding the current status of bins and the various bugs.  Anyone else experience the bugs I listed, or know of a good workaround?  Sometimes a bunch of people ignorant of the workings of a piece of code can still have useful insights, in fact, the outside perspective lets you see things the person who designed it might not even notice.

Like I said, I just don't use bins in bolt and gem stockpiles, and I just bear the cancellation spam, and I don't seem to run into any huge issues.  But I know there's probably items in all my bin using stockpiles that are stuck in an unusable state, and it would be nice to get that bug fixed.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 10:45:44 am »

2. this happens with barrels and is equally annoying

3. I think in general this is a problem with stockpiles in general, it happens with barrels too (why seed stockpiles shouldn't have barrels) so I think the stockpile system needs to be reworked at some point (I think toady said he was going to rework stockpiles when workshops become zones)
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 02:27:00 pm »

Yeah, I would guess any issues with bins also exist with barrels and pots, it's just that you use a lot more bins than you use barrels, so you see it more with bins.

I would also guess the reason stockpiles won't do anything with items in bins is that otherwise your haulers would spend half their time moving stuff around between bins.  I think there just needs to be an exception to this when the bin containing stockpile is set to give to another stockpile, so that items in bins can be properly distributed into separate stockpiles.

(For an example of what I'm talking about, create an ammo stockpile that takes bins.  Make bolts and bins.  Once you have a bin with bolts in it in that stockpile, create a second ammo stockpile, with no bins allowed. Set the first stockpile to give to the second stockpile.  Observe as no bolts are taken from bins and moved to the second stockpile.

Now disable bolts in your first ammo stockpile.  Now you have a stockpile full of bins full of bolts, which it is not set to accept, while you have another stockpile happy to take the bolts, just no bins.  Again, observe as no bolts are moved from the stockpile that does not allow them to the stockpile that does.

Now go ahead and just delete the first stockpile entirely.  You now have bins full of bolts just sitting on the floor. You have a stockpile that wants those bolts, but not the bins.  Again, observe as the bins sit on the floor with no bolts being moved to the appropriate stockpile.)

The only way to get those bolts out is for your bolt users to take them out, or for you to dump them.

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 03:41:06 pm »

...but it seems slightly impolite to begin a conversation assuming everyone knows what you are speaking about...

So change "impolite" to "impracticable" or "inconvenient" or "ineffective". My core point was that I felt like I have walked in on the middle of an ongoing conversation that I could not discover reference to. And the worst part was it sounded like a conversation I would be interested in.

I have seen these listed flaws so infrequently that they have not affected me. This is probably due to game style.

My dwarfs hoard their gems, and so my gem stockpiles behind the leaders official chambers only receive but never give their glory.

Traps do most of the heavy lifting and arrows are in such abundance that I have never noticed an issue.

Hauling kills my forts FPS for a multitude of parallel and simultaneous reasons as my dwarfs harvest all the goblin spoils at the bottom of my weapon trap pits. If part of that is heavy bins to light items instead of vice versa then that is good to know and try to plan around.

Thanks for the list... these are things I am now aware of and will watch for in the future.

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 03:48:30 pm »

Sorry if I came by as rude.
Definitely wasn't my intention.

That said, I imagined most would be aware of it since that's a big issue with gem setting and highly active textile industry. Mea culpa.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 05:34:36 pm »

And I'm sorry that I sounded angry. I should have realized by the name that you weren't a native English speaker. It sounded like an insult to an American, but I can see now that it wasn't meant that way.

These bugs have already been acknowledged, they just haven't been dealt with yet. As others have said, no ETA has been given.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 04:34:19 am »

(For an example of what I'm talking about, create an ammo stockpile that takes bins.  Make bolts and bins.  Once you have a bin with bolts in it in that stockpile, create a second ammo stockpile, with no bins allowed. Set the first stockpile to give to the second stockpile.  Observe as no bolts are taken from bins and moved to the second stockpile.
Also observe as any bolts placed in the second stockpile are brought to the first and binned.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 07:00:25 am »

With the use of dfhack does anyone have a tip on how force stuff out of a bin?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 09:32:56 am »

With the use of dfhack does anyone have a tip on how force stuff out of a bin?
You can just designate the items for dumping, then exclude the bin. The "autodump" command can be used to skip the hauling, but beware that it moves every dump-designated item in the fort to the cursor.

Artifacts can now be forced out by putting them up for display using the appropriate furniture.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2017, 10:12:16 am »

Being called out as impolite for mentioning obvious flaws without numbering them seems weird.
That's why I assumed the possibility of people being offended.
If there was no offense, great, we can stick to the subject :)

Btw, Damiac has done a great job numbering them. And I pretty much agree with all his points, couldn't have done better myself.
You didn't even name the flaws at all, you just stated that there were flaws. but i was not angry, but maybe baffled or intrigued what the problem would be, awaiting you to explain it. as
and someone explaining why it was strange behaviour is not an assault, but a way to improve the overall communication here on the forums.
I saw problems with stockpiles, but couldn't actually find out what caused them and that they had to do with bins malfunctioning. So they aren't as obvious as you think. i always used feeder stockpiles and lots of bins and never read anything at all about bins malfuntioning in the forums.
So thanks for bringing up this topic, as i was absolutely unaware.

and thanks damian, i now see what i have to change for a successful fort.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2017, 06:03:30 am »

I assumed one would have to wear rose tinted glasses to feel offended by my obvious non-offenseful statement.
Unless the shoe serves, I also assume no one will feel targeted by the rose-tinted glass addendum.
Thus, the point is moot.

Either way, let's stay on topic.

Dude, chill. You were rightly called out for providing no elaboration on a vague complaint.
You're passive aggresive defensive posts after that don't help to see you as more polite.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 08:33:32 am »

Dude, chill. You were rightly called out for providing no elaboration on a vague complaint.
You're passive aggresive defensive posts after that don't help to see you as more polite.
::)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 03:54:54 pm »

Are you kidding me? We JUST resolved this misunderstanding.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 04:05:20 pm »

IDRC if you think I'm polite or not.
Stop derailing

The topic was on the rails again only to have a nobody show up lecturing. Figures.
Let's stick to the subject?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 01:37:54 pm »

IDRC if you think I'm polite or not.
Stop derailing

The topic was on the rails again only to have a nobody show up lecturing. Figures.
Let's stick to the subject?
Calling someone a "nobody" isn't polite either. You'd be well advised to read this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27009
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 [2] 3