Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would it be possible to have torches or sources of light in future builds?  (Read 2945 times)

BionicMeatloaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I realized this when I played Adventure mode for the first time and spawned in a dwarven fort. I couldn't see more than 4 or 5 tiles ahead of me (which became extremely annoying when I was trying to get out of it, especially since the mapped area kept disappearing) and it got to me thinking, "Is this because there's practically no light in here?"

Then I got to thinking "What if you could place torches on the walls in fort mode? How would it affect the dwarves in the fort?"

Then again, knowing how Toady is with his baby, he probably wants light to behave in the most physically accurate way possible as to add to the simulation, so that might be way off in the future.

Still, it does kinda make me wonder how it would affect gameplay or what bugs could come from its inclusion (Like if a Dwarf walks in front of a mirror outside in the sunlight, would the Urist be reduced o ashes because the mirror created a laser?)

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would it be possible to have torches or sources of light in future builds?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 06:41:09 pm »

Still, it does kinda make me wonder how it would affect gameplay or what bugs could come from its inclusion (Like if a Dwarf walks in front of a mirror outside in the sunlight, would the Urist be reduced o ashes because the mirror created a laser?)
"Well, you're certainly doing your job today Mr. Sun!"
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 07:03:54 pm »

Torches, candles, lanterns etc. are on the road map according to the site's dev plan. Not sure exactly how far in the future they're planned for though.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

BionicMeatloaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 07:46:45 pm »

I'm wondering what kind of function they could for the fortress. Like would it just make things more efficient by speeding up dwarves in "dark" places? or maybe in help stuff like baby snatchers and thieves sneak in more easily. Also should the process be automated by the dwarves, should the player have to place them themselves, or should it be a mix of both?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:18:36 pm »

Dwarves have [LOWLIGHTVISION], so they can see perfectly even when deep underground. However, humans and elves don't have the same effect, so if you spawn as one of them in a dwarven fortress you would have trouble navigating.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:10:56 pm »

^This. Torches and lanterns will probably be more important for human civs than anything else (and possibly elven, though I imagine they'd prefer to make use of more tree-friendly light sources, e.g. fireflies).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

saberbom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 07:43:32 am »

It has already been implemented... inside every dorfs eye. They can see clearly without any light source since they mainly live underground. Although the humans and elves do need them badly.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 09:49:04 am »

There's Rendermax, although it's quite a beefy plugin to run.