Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starting a civ from scartch  (Read 720 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
starting a civ from scartch
« on: December 10, 2017, 11:28:29 pm »

as the title says, on the embark screen, it would be cool if among the listed civs, one option would be "start dwarven civilization" where you would be the creator of a whole new civilization of dwarves, with the ability to choose your civ name and image. of course you would still receive migrants and trade caravans, but the migrants would be from other civs and dwarf caravans from other civs too (no outpost liaison either, have to wait for diplomat) what do you guys think?
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: starting a civ from scartch
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:26:29 am »

The only migrants you'd be likely to get, at least at first, would be outcasts (possibly even literally banished) from other nations, and traders would have no logical reason to visit you at all until you'd built up enough of an economy to be worth the expense of sending you a caravan. Some random no-name dwarf is unlikely to have the clout to attract even a decent Starting 7, let alone migrants who aren't more trouble than they're worth.

These problems would be mitigated, however, if the "you" who started a brand-new civilization was a successful adventurer. With enough loyal followers and personal wealth, you might just be able to make your neighbors take you seriously when you declare sovereignty. The civilization that you used to belong to might get miffed, but if you've already traveled well beyond their local sphere of influence, they'd probably be unlikely to see that as a betrayal.

Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: starting a civ from scartch
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:41:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hahaha but seriously, this is only a natural step on both adventure and fortress mode. I envision even starting a new "evil" civ with vampires, necromancers, zombies and whatnot.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:43:11 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!