Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventurer titles - DFhack  (Read 5820 times)

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventurer titles - DFhack
« on: December 11, 2017, 12:48:14 am »

Is there any way to change or erase the adventurer title (Blue balls of failure) using DFhack? names.lua nd GM-tools do not have any effect...

DF 43.05

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer titles - DFhack
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:18:02 am »

I think this might work. First enter "lua" into DFHack command line, and then type this:

Code: [Select]
df.global.world.units.active[0].name.words[5] = -1
df.global.world.units.active[0].name.parts_of_speech[5] = -1
df.global.world.units.active[0].name.words[6] = -1
df.global.world.units.active[0].name.parts_of_speech[6] = -1

It could also just corrupt your save, so make sure to back it up.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 03:42:56 am »

thanks for the advice, but it didn't help either. Isn't it the same as using GM-tools and setting the name and parts of speech? That doesn't have any effect.

Apparently, toady would rather model the tracking of booze splatters on cat paws than give an easy to implement option of changing some strings in a game where even engravings can be customized...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:06:39 am by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 03:57:19 am »

Blue balls of failure
You actually got this, and not something like "The Imperious Lobster of Cake?"
That's something to be treasured, if you ask me.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:00:32 am »

Blue balls of failure
You actually got this, and not something like "The Imperious Lobster of Cake?"
That's something to be treasured, if you ask me.

I agree. However, I tend to get the latter (Lobster of cake, mirrors of cavorting, saturnine truss of dreams) much more often.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 05:45:26 am »

They've got a weird older buggy version of names in there for some reason but I've got the various repaired ones waiting on a merge.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/maxthyme/scripts/master/names.lua

Use the look cursor to pic your target though, I still need to get the status/inventory hook back in.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:02:00 am »

They've got a weird older buggy version of names in there for some reason but I've got the various repaired ones waiting on a merge.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/maxthyme/scripts/master/names.lua

Use the look cursor to pic your target though, I still need to get the status/inventory hook back in.

Did as you've told. New names.lua doesn't generate red-colour spam in DFhack console, but still fails to change the name of the adventurer.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:54:05 pm »

Did you exit the screen and pull up your status screen to check the name again after using it?

I know it did need to refresh the display before and I thought I fixed it so it wasn't like using gm-editor to change a name where you gotta set/unset a nickname, but I just tested the name changing and it didn't work until then apparently?

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 11:12:06 pm »

Did you exit the screen and pull up your status screen to check the name again after using it?

I know it did need to refresh the display before and I thought I fixed it so it wasn't like using gm-editor to change a name where you gotta set/unset a nickname, but I just tested the name changing and it didn't work until then apparently?

Yes, I did that. Also tried fast-travelling, waiting, saving-reloading and retiring/unretiring. Still, to no avail. Though when bringing names screen again, it DOES reflect the changed name. But apparently it is the only time the changed name is actually seen.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:13:50 pm by Urist Sonuvagimli »

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 12:37:09 pm »

Ok, found a univarsal solution. Apparently, if you want an apt adventurer title, you can pick it at the character creation screen. When choosing the name, use "The" to define additional parts of the name (E.g. Urist McAdventurer the Ace-Bronze Beard). Anything that you define after "the" will not get overwritten after 5 significant kills, and will serve as de-facto epithet for your adventurer.