Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76

Author Topic: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 81128 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: Vigilo Confido : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 08:44:25 pm »

COUNT ME IN!
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 09:39:57 pm »

Getting in on this!

Voting for an aircraft carrier base, I think an underwater base is a bit too ambitious at the moment. Also, ebbor, what's the time period this is set in? I assume we have all the guns and other equipment that would be available to any other spec ops team, but what does that include? In 2017 we have recon drones that can fit in a backpack and battlefield AR HUDs, which would certainly be beyond a 1990s force.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 01:44:28 am »

2017+

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Mood: Cautiously Optomistic
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 05:23:29 am »

To be clear. I will bail if discord is added. My apologies to those that make great use of it, but for someone who doesn't, that was the appeal of this AR.
Awesome With Autism
Currently listening to: Goldeneye Menu

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 09:17:33 am »

What do you have against Discord?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 09:23:15 am »

Honestly I don't like discord that much myself, but when I see an ultimatum feeling thingy like that I suddenly start feeling a lot more supportive of it. Weird how people's minds work, isn't it?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 09:27:31 am »

What do you have against Discord?
The problem is simple. You either join discord or you don't and then you may as well not play the game because all important decisions are made in discord. You don't even know why people vote that way or another and just see one snowball voting after another.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 09:33:42 am »

The problem is simple. You either join discord or you don't and then you may as well not play the game because all important decisions are made in discord. You don't even know why people vote that way or another and just see one snowball voting after another.
That's not really my experience at all. I put off joining the discords for the arms races I've been participating in for weeks and I can confidently state that it did not make any difference.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 09:41:07 am »

Creates a potential communication gap where not everyone knows what has been said, a forum game's primary communication method should be the forum.

Anyway, HQ and its initial location and form:
Although a sailing command (such as an aircraft carrier) does allow us to move our forces almost everywhere, we cannot use the Suez or Panama Canals (too easy to catch us where we cannot defend ourselves) and the Mediterranean is a dangerous place for such a task force because they could just park a dreadnought over Gibraltar and pin us down.
An undersea command would make us hard to attack but we would need amphibious aircraft and make sure all our weapons can be used underwater and on land, plus we would need to redesign RADAR to work under deep water or rely entirely on local forces providing RADAR coverage.
A Flying base has the problem of being extremely visible but wouldn't have the issues of a sailing base, probably would have other issues too.

A conventional under-mountain base would be pretty straight forward while still being tough to crack open and hard to spot, the fixed location doesn't matter if we place it where it can cover the most funding nations (such as under the Alps or Greece's mountains).

Therefore I suggest a conventional underground base under the Greek/Macedonian mountains.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 09:48:32 am »

This isn't TFTD(yet), I say we go something above the water.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 10:06:21 am »

The thing about Discord is that it doesn't create a potential communications gap. It just increases convenience. I've played Wands Race before and after it had a Discord, and other games. People wordlessly vote regardless of Discord. I've seen plenty of wordless votes in Battle for Aljadid without that person even being on Discord.
On BFA the primary communications method is still the forum. On Wands Race the primary communications method was still the forum. Discord just allowed for the game to move faster as 1-on-1 arguments can easily be made quickly (rather than waiting over the course of days via PMs or spamming the thread), quick questions to the GM can be asked (that would never be asked if there was no Discord), and voting is quicker.

If we do an underwater base, we should still include access to the surface somehow. Like others have said, we'd have to make all our aircraft amphibious. That's a severe engineering+technological+practical challenge.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 11:01:34 am »

Just add an elevator to the base maybe? It stucks up out of the water to launch stuff/let stuff land, and then goes back under water afterwards to hide again when not in use.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 11:06:59 am »

Just add an elevator to the base maybe? It stucks up out of the water to launch stuff/let stuff land, and then goes back under water afterwards to hide again when not in use.

I think people wanted their undersea base to be under the actual sea, not just a short way offshore, and a two kilometre long telescoping elevator might be a little much even for xcom
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 11:26:20 am »

Yeah, to clarify a few things.

The guaranteed 6 on the base roll is before modifiers. Be carefull. If you propose a base on Pluto, you'll fail.

Also, you also have to propose a regular design of some sort.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 11:47:58 am »

Design:Magnetic Mass Driver "Magnos"

By using a series of conductive coils, a modified aircraft could be catapulted all the way from the bottom of the ocean into the air with surprising results.
 Aircraft are specially modified for this purpose, and given a disposable magnetic fearing to survive the trip, and a optimized system could even send satellite payloads high enough that a suborbital trajectory could be reached.

Base: TRAWLER (Tactical Re-locked Atlantian War Lexicon with Energy Reactors)If anyone has a better name/acronym Im willing to change it please)
Simply put, a massive air craft carrier sized command vehicle, designed to trawl  along the surface of the ocean,  feeding on the sea bad as it passes by to power it's reactor, and to sift out materials required for day-to-day operations. It is completely self sufficient in terms of life support, while able to support over 5,000 personnel. As it is right now, it is half built, with most of the life support systems turned disabled, as it only supports the skeleton crew of 700, along with tactical command and certain amounts of the various non essential personnel that has came aboard. It comes with liquid fuel Hydrogen powered rockets, for when it needs to leave the ground and manuver in the waters, while also equipped with special baloons so it can quickly resurface.  Specially placed Communication "Probes" along the surface of the ocean allow it to communicate with the rest of the world without revealing its position.

Sunken Atlantis(1):Urist
TRAWLER(1):Blood Librarian

Magnos(1):Blood_Librarian
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:53:37 am by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 76