Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 61188 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:12:54 pm »

Link to Main Thread

The planet Earth rotates slowly beneath you. From your stealth command vessel, you can see them clearly, squabbling in the dirt, unaware of the universe. They do not possess the gift, nor do they posses a physical prowess, like the Mutton or Chrysalid's did. Still, the scans indicate they may show promise, and so they must be investigated and added to the Ethereal empire.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 11:52:21 am by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:25:45 pm »

Design phase start

The design phase has now started. You get to choose 1 design, that will be rolled using the normal 2d4 rules. In addition, you get to design the location and style of your base. Whether you go for a pyramid on Mars or the classical temple ship or something else entirely is your choice. The roll for the base is a guaranteed 6.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 03:28:23 pm »

I'm noining the superior side of the Old Ones, and I'm going to use some of knowledge of alien progression in enemy unknown through the  Long War modification to the game. One of the earliest advancement the aliens try to create is a small flying scout drone; while this is a good idea, gives us some basic knowledge of artificial intelligence, hovering technology, machinery (maybe biomechanic technology in the future, and more)

Also I would love if we advanced the flying scout drone into a Combat Hunter-Killer Drone that had ability to cloak, have advanced A.I, had an electromagnetic pulse it emits that creates a shield around enemy fire from kinetics to energy weapons, and lock-on missiles!

So with our first design let me suggest a design to allow those innovations to take place.

Scout Drone: A small drone (about the size of a basketball) that utilizes tiny amount elerium to pulse so that it hovers over the ground, and can emit more of the elerium fuel to fly distances of 5-10m off the ground and than hover on its new flying position. Equipped with advanced photoreceptors so that it can track the location of enemies and notice movement in the visible color spectrum, and a shock taser probe Gun on the frontal head of the Scout Drone that horrifically stings when it attacks a biological unit, equipped with a heavy amount of sedatives to make the organics to pass out for future experimentation. The Drone is quite small and can fly, with some maneuverability but this isn't the priority of the design, which makes it a difficult target to hit but is very lightly armored and can't handle attacks from kinetic-based weapons. It would serve as the scout/reconnaissance role for the aliens and maybe has some ability to act as a light skirmished during combat.

Also let's be Terror From the Deep Aliens and have an underwater fortress or something, needs further elaboration from me.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:37:32 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 04:26:59 pm »

I like your idea shadow, well, other then the underwater base, but still. It will open plenty of doors and we could get closer to things like cyberdiscs with it.

EDIT: For a base though, we should make one underground on the south pole or in Mt Everest
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:31:20 pm by piratejoe »
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:44:10 pm »

I think a base underwater (probably in some deep underwater trench) has its usage and strengths, mainly that they would have to spend an entire amount of design time to make sure all of there designs work underwater; from underwater transports to weapons that can handle the deep pressure of the water, this is not even including the surprise factor that we have an Underwater Trench Base; I mean things like having base in the south pole or Mt. Everest means that it really in access of just being aerial strike on because it such access to human control. Forcing the enemy to redirect there technologies either in space, underground? (base in the molten core of the world?), or underwater would hamstring there ability to compete with us.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:14:20 pm »

Underwater base sounds like a good idea. I like the drone too.
Quote from: Vote
Scout drone(3) Shadowclaw777, piratejoe, Puppyguard.
-----------------
Aquatic Base(2) Shadowclaw777, Puppyguard.
Mountain/South pole/Underground base(1) pirateJoe.
Why do sectoids cost equipment points?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:18:02 pm by Puppyguard »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:18:56 pm »

Typo

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:56:41 pm »

PTW
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:08:34 pm »

Actually, thats not a bad idea...the base in the molten core of the world that is. They might end up suspecting a underwater base but they would never expect a base in the core of the earth!
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:50:26 pm »

PTW interest.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 11:30:00 pm »

Inner Core Base:
The aliens advanced engineering technology and ample usage of alien alloys that can handle any sources of heat has allowed us to construct a facility in the center of the human's homeworld. Advanced shielding methods with elerium has allowed the alien base to handle the heat of the magma constantly as well. The main advancement and thing that allows us to launch UFO of this facility is a massive alien elevator shaft from the molten core of Earth to a spot right above Antarctica. We have constructed this facility  secretly from the humans while the humanoids were in a Cold War!, they would have never expect an alien force to come from the very thing they live in. 

Here's my idea for a alien base in the Molten Core, sounds really interesting.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 01:06:41 am »

Couldn't have said it better myself, with this I highly doubt the Humies will be able to do anything to us or our base, at least for a while. At some point we should be able to make minor smaller bases too.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 01:22:50 am »

Scout drone(3) Shadowclaw777, piratejoe, Puppyguard.
-----------------
Inner Core Base(3) Shadowclaw777, piratejoe, Puppyguard.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 02:17:15 am »

Scout drone(4) Shadowclaw777, piratejoe, Puppyguard, Greatness942
-----------------
Inner Core Base(4) Shadowclaw777, piratejoe, Puppyguard, Greatness942

Placing my votes. Guess I'm with the aliens, then.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 04:28:33 am »

Scout drone(4) Shadowclaw777, piratejoe, Puppyguard, Greatness942
-----------------
Inner Core Base(5) Shadowclaw777, piratejoe, Puppyguard, Greatness942, Sprinkled chariot

Placing my votes. Guess I'm with the aliens, then.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 63