Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 61303 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #600 on: January 16, 2018, 06:20:36 pm »

Savage reavers are?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 16, 2018, 06:22:00 pm »

Mutons combined with reptilian DNA or insectoid DNA to survive in the biosphere

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 16, 2018, 06:22:57 pm »

Savage Reavers: (1) SC
+ DNA Token: (1) SC
Medium Harvester: (3) Kashyyk, Puppyguard, Failbird105
As much as I would like to see my old Reavers used and revamped, I think we need a good ship. Fighters are nice and all, but they take up VP without providing any sort of reward. If we can manage to cheapen them down to one point I'd be fine with sending them out all the time but at two they restrict us far too heavily to be solely combat ships with no other capacity.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:24:50 pm by Failbird105 »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 16, 2018, 07:03:47 pm »

I like the terran-augmented scout, probably as a revision rather than a full design. For that, the harvester looks good (though maybe lose the tractor beam?) That or design the lesser Muton and then revise point defence / improved ECM to buy us another turn.

Fighters are nice and all, but they take up VP without providing any sort of reward. If we can manage to cheapen them down to one point I'd be fine with sending them out all the time but at two they restrict us far too heavily to be solely combat ships with no other capacity.
I think we'd be better off trying to improve the light fighter than cheapen the medium, hence my revision proposal last turn. Though given X-Com's shift back to missiles that may need to be edited a bit.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 16, 2018, 07:19:54 pm »

It might be a better choice to equip our vessels with point defense/ground targeting systems.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 17, 2018, 09:57:12 am »

For that, the harvester looks good (though maybe lose the tractor beam?)
Hmm. Thing is, then it's just a Medium Scout. Which we could do, I suppose. I was going to say it'd be an Easy design, but both fighters were Normal difficulty, so it's possible that I'm underestimating the difficulty of designing craft.

Medium Scout: Sometimes, it is the size that matters. So it is with this design. The Medium Scout has a larger core and propulsion system, three plasma turrets (located equal distances around the circumference of the craft), and room for twice the troop loadout of the Small Scout. In addition, it has an increased capacity for storing captives and materials, with more holding cells and a small operating room where preliminary research may be conducted. It is, more or less, just an upscaled scout, capable of more intensive missions.
Naturally, we have scaled up the toughness as well as the size; by having all critical systems in the center of the ship, any incoming fire has to get through not only the outer armour, but also the outer ring of miscellaneous rooms (the dividing wall between them and the center is also armoured).
The Medium Scout has the same shape as the Small Scout, but is about twice the size.

Yeah, I think I actually prefer this. Less risk of it being too hard, and if it is Easy, well, that just means we get a better end product.

Medium Harvester: (3) Kashyyk, Puppyguard, Failbird105
Medium Scout: (1) NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 17, 2018, 10:47:49 am »

Medium Harvester: (2) Kashyyk, Puppyguard
Medium Scout: (2) NUKE9.13, Failbird105
Yeah, let's not take any risks for a relatively minor reward.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 17, 2018, 03:02:13 pm »

Medium Harvester: (3) Kashyyk, Puppyguard, Piratejoe
Medium Scout: (2) NUKE9.13, Failbird105
Tractor beam, nuff said.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 17, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »

It is somewhat dissapointing, that xcom probably got fuckton of free alloy tokens from some 360 noscope dudes shredding us with bullets and leaving them our ship.

+ 1 to medium scout

We probably need to do something about xcom getting edge in the air. Also we need bomber to burn their land installations aswell.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:49 pm »

Point. Defense.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 17, 2018, 03:39:54 pm »

Is a revision.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 17, 2018, 04:20:00 pm »

We probably should check stuff for difficulty and balance, so we dont get design failures like elder scorn because balance

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 17, 2018, 06:52:15 pm »

We need better ground game, like a lot because their max toys come from capturing our shit. I say the new trooper/gun thing.

And I am not posting any new designs. The healing factor berserkers were just not popular.

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 17, 2018, 08:52:08 pm »

It's disappointing that we're getting routed so hard on the ground. But since it's probably more important to be able to actually land, I support the Medium Scout - however I think we can get some ground ability out of this one as well if we just

Medium Scout Proposal B - Air Support

Sometimes, it is the size that matters. So it is with this design. The Medium Scout has a larger core and propulsion system, three plasma turrets (located equal distances around the circumference of the craft), and a retractable plasma turret positioned underside to allow the UFO to support ground forces in action and room for twice the troop loadout of the Small Scout. In addition, it has an increased capacity for storing captives and materials, with more holding cells and a small operating room where preliminary research may be conducted. It is, more or less, just an upscaled scout, capable of more intensive missions.
Naturally, we have scaled up the toughness as well as the size; by having all critical systems in the center of the ship, any incoming fire has to get through not only the outer armour, but also the outer ring of miscellaneous rooms (the dividing wall between them and the center is also armoured).
The Medium Scout has the same shape as the Small Scout, but is about twice the size.

Is it immoral that I just copy pasted NUKE's proposal? Also, they have railguns that can punch clean in and out of our Alien Alloy armored craft, so no amount of layers will be able to stop that methinks.

Also - I think they have some sort of base in the Aegean Sea (obvious) and ground deployment capabilities in Japan, or more places. Future things to investigate.

Medium Harvester: (3) Kashyyk, Puppyguard, Piratejoe
Medium Scout: (3) NUKE9.13, Failbird105, sprinkled chariot

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 18, 2018, 05:18:19 am »

We need better ground game, like a lot because their max toys come from capturing our shit. I say the new trooper/gun thing.
Except we're getting hammered in the air, whilst we can win on the ground.

Is it immoral that I just copy pasted NUKE's proposal?
Nah, it's fine.

Also, they have railguns that can punch clean in and out of our Alien Alloy armored craft, so no amount of layers will be able to stop that methinks.
Hmm. Their missiles, though, will detonate against the outer hull. And their missiles seem more dangerous.

Also - I think they have some sort of base in the Aegean Sea (obvious) and ground deployment capabilities in Japan, or more places. Future things to investigate.
Yeah, Aegean Sea outpost (probably not main base) is definitely a thing. The troops in Japan... seems unlikely that they are XCOM, since they had shitty weapons, and also the update mentions that a Skyranger was on its way. Nah, it's almost certainly Exalt.

Anyway, the problem with the Air Support thing is that when our troops are fighting on the ground, the Medium Scout would be on the ground also (having either landed, or been shot down). We could give our fighters air-support capacity.
Or we could put a mortar on top of the craft, rather than a turret underneath. Provide some 'artillery' support, sort of thing. Something like this:
, an Elerium Mortar (a weapon capable of launching impact-detonated Elerium Grenades for considerable distances) to provide support during ground combat,
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 63