Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 63

Author Topic: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race  (Read 61333 times)

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
Re: Ethereals : XCOM Arms Race
« Reply #690 on: February 15, 2018, 09:00:47 pm »

Main problem I’m seeing is that like our Small Scout last round, that Xcom can just over-specialize in a mission and destroy our UFO and get free tokens. If we have a Medium Scout (which also has a mortar for ground usage), and a Medium Fighter, + some support from the Small Scout. We can destroy any Xcom interference and they don’t get any tokens

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 15, 2018, 10:16:15 pm »

We had enough of gifting xcom free shit already

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 16, 2018, 08:39:56 am »

Craft: 1 Medium Scout, 1 Small Scout, 1 Medium Fighter ((6 Unit Storage))
Units: 1 ( Free) Infiltrated Skin Crawlers, 1 (Free) Sectoid, 2 Skin Crawlers, 1 Sectoid, 1 UP Scout Drone
Equipment: 1 AAA Missile on Medium Fighter, 1 AAA Missile on Medium Scout
Destination: Australia
Mission Type: “Rescue Contact’s Relative”

Missions launched. Commence revision phase. Don't forget the challenge.

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: PANIC METER (click to show/hide)

Revision

Turn 7

Challenges : The Ethereals have decided to catalogue our enemies equipment. The side which manages to make the best description/analysis of a piece of enemy equipment may win a price.

AABBCCDD

SamSpeeds

• Bay Watcher
  • ah ah ah oooh yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 16, 2018, 09:14:42 am »

Synthesization Chambers

An additional wing of production chambers on Base Luna, utilizing advanced and powerful nanomachine chambers and large multipurpose machine arms to quickly and easily create anything that might be needed, from pieces of equipment to parts of ships.

Goal: To get more EP and some VP for when we finally get armor lol

AAA 2

Our first AAA attempt was good, but failed in some aspects. We'll try again, and make sure to get the ammo capacity and cost right this time.

Lesser Mutons, Once More

Try em again!

We tried Lesser Mutons the first time, right? Or was it the other proposal?

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 16, 2018, 09:20:07 am »

Quote from: Revision
Extended AAA:
The previous generation of AAA missiles lack accuracy, ammo Capacity, range, and destructive potency in their usage. We have realized that the ammo Capacity and potency are the things that need to be altered
The new revised AAA missiles now comes in pods of four missile arrays with a new anti-armor blast to them, if Xcom thinks they can field either missiles or of aerial interceptor jets with armor of either terrestrial or alien kind, they will be in a horrible surprise of realization when they notice that our AAA missiles can penetrate armor quite handily and horribly destroying their ships, with plasma glue all over their wings and cockpits.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 09:24:34 am by Shadowclaw777 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 16, 2018, 09:25:01 am »

Decoy Drones
Utilising our high skill in automation (evidenced with our fighters, AAA and scout drones) these are space-capable drones approximately 2m3 and equipped with large ECM arrays, intended to make the drone appear much larger and more threatening on X-Com scanners. The drone is also fitted with a self-destruct mechanism, designed to make the vessel completely worthless to X-Com if somehow recovered. These drones should be buildable en-mass, and allow us to flood X-Com with false positives and provide our actual missions with defence in numbers. When deployed, the drone will follow a pre-plotted course across areas of Earth, intended to mimic an actual Alien operation.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 16, 2018, 10:14:08 am »

I think Decoy Drones are a good idea, but would work better as a design.

AAA v2: The aim of this revision is simple: to increase the ammo capacity of our missile turrets, without significantly increasing bulk or cost. To achieve this, we have made the missiles more compact, by combining elements where possible. Most notably, using experience from Elder's Scorn (not replicating it entirely, but building on the experience), we have modified the Elerium power source to double as the warhead- this does make it less effective as a power source, but it is unlikely that a missile will require more than a few minutes of flight time at the very most. The full AI core has been pared down, removing unnecessary capabilities, and miniaturising the rest. The gravity drive is no longer capable of completely arbitrary movement- should it for some reason need to make a 180° turn, it will need to actually turn, rather than simply accelerate in the opposite direction- which cuts down on the required size considerably.
Ideally, we exchange a minor drop in performance for a substantially increased ammo capacity.
Long Live United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 16, 2018, 10:44:46 am »

Quote from: Votes
[] Extended AAA :
[1] AAA v2 : Kashyyk

I've gone for Nuke's because theirs more heavily indicates that we want more ammo, whereas Shadowclaws reads as if we're trying to improve their power.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 16, 2018, 10:54:07 am »

[] Extended AAA :
[2] AAA v2 : Kashyyk, NUKE9.13

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 16, 2018, 12:26:01 pm »

I couldn't disagree more with the notion that running more than one mission equals giving X-Com free stuff, but it's a bit late to argue that point this turn.

Regarding the revision, I would much rather focus on reducing the cost of our missiles rather than increasing the magazine size - we're short of EP as it is and cheaper launchers are far more flexible. I am however wary of reducing their effectiveness too much, especially as X-Com will doubtless develop countermeasures quickly. Something like this might be doable, though the savings won't nearly be as considerable as we'd get from making the missiles less effective.

Quote from: AAA Deployment overhaul.
Our new missiles are technological marvels but too resource intensive to deploy in large numbers given that we are only really equipped to support plasma-armed craft. By expanding local manufacturing, overhauling our supply chain, and making numerous other small efficency savings, we should be able to reduce their deployment cost by a small, though still significant, amount.

Alternatively, we could finally get round to giving our infantry weapons with a long enough range that they can fight back on the ground. I consider this more important at the moment - two effectively guaranteed air kills per launcher should be enough for the next couple of turns.

Quote from: plasma rifle
Our plasma pistol is an effective sidearm but hindered at long ranges. Fortunately the improved strength of our sectoids enables the use of heavier weaponry. This model has been extended into a full-blown rifle, making it both more accurate and more powerful. As a result its effectiveness at longer ranges should be increased significantly. Slots have been included above and below the barrel for any additions such as sights or grenade launchers we may later develop.

On another note, here's my attempt at a submission for the challenge, though it got a bit long and off topic.

Spoiler: Challenge submission (click to show/hide)
[] Extended AAA :
[2] AAA v2 : Kashyyk, NUKE9.13
[1]Plasma Rifle: TopHat
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:11:18 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 16, 2018, 01:58:29 pm »

Regarding the revision, I would much rather focus on reducing the cost of our missiles rather than increasing the magazine size - we're short of EP as it is and cheaper launchers are far more flexible. I am however wary of reducing their effectiveness too much, especially as X-Com will doubtless develop countermeasures quickly. Something like this might be doable, though the savings won't nearly be as considerable as we'd get from making the missiles less effective.
So, there are several reasons I prefer expanded magazines to reduced cost:
-Reducing the cost won't do anything for us this turn, as we have already deployed. But thanks to schrodinger's revisions, increased magazine capacity can.
-I'd rather increase our available EP than constantly try to cram everything into a 2EP budget.
-Whilst it is true that cheaper missiles would be more flexible, they would also take up more turret slots. Halving the cost and doubling ammo results in the same amount of missiles, but the former results in reduced plasma weaponry.
-I think reducing the cost would be harder than reducing the size.

Alternatively, we could finally get round to giving our infantry weapons with a long enough range that they can fight back on the ground. I consider this more important at the moment - two effectively guaranteed air kills per launcher should be enough for the next couple of turns.
Actually, you're probably right that we should do something for the ground. I had this idea that we could shoot down Skyrangers if we brought enough missiles, but I'm not sure whether that's plausible. I mean, so far, there hasn't been any mention of a Skyranger ever being in the slightest danger, even when we completely controlled the airspace. It may just be that the game is set up such that the aliens have to win both fights whilst XCOM need only win one.

And a plasma rifle shouldn't cost any EP (since presumably XCOM's standard rifles don't either (not sure about their railguns)), and we will want them for future heavy units. Yeah, alright.

[] Extended AAA :
[2]Plasma Rifle: TopHat, NUKE9.13

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 16, 2018, 02:10:02 pm »

It may just be that the game is set up such that the aliens have to win both fights whilst XCOM need only win one.

If you roll well on the spot rolls, you sometimes get to evade the ground battle.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 16, 2018, 02:12:52 pm »

[] Extended AAA :
[3]Plasma Rifle: TopHat, NUKE9.13, Failbird105
Yep, I'm all for making a quality gun, surprised we put this off so long.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 02:15:27 pm by Failbird105 »

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 16, 2018, 07:25:50 pm »

[] Extended AAA :
[4]Plasma Rifle: TopHat, NUKE9.13, Failbird105, Puppyguard.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 19, 2018, 10:39:06 am »

As far as I can tell there have only been two challenge submissions form our side so far:

On another note:
r.e. AAA cost vs magazine capacity:
- Increasing Point reserves and decreasing costs are by no means mutually exclusive; indeed the one complements the other.
- The importance of flexibility vs turret slots will depend on our mission planning approach. If we continue to run a single large mission a turn, magazine size is better for the reasons you outlined. If we run more, smaller missions (which I think is our best course of action) then reduced costs will be more useful due to the ability to split the launchers among multiple missions.
- I hadn't thought about the relative difficulty of the two options; that may well be the case. I doubt the effect will be that major, though, given the significant overlap between the two goals.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 63