Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal people attraction  (Read 2358 times)

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Animal people attraction
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:38:58 pm »

If been trying to attract animal people to my fort but no luck.I have only got one animal person in my 2 years of playing DF .And they were only visiting.(though r eagerly)I miss mori the wombat woman :'(.Any way how do I get more animal ppl? 

Bobtron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Animal people attraction
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 03:43:05 pm »

Try embarking in savage biomes, I just got started on a savage desert embark and within a year, had grasshopper women and hamster men pay the tavern a visit.

From the wiki:
Wild animal people wander above the surface in savage environments or dwell underground in the caverns; these two populations form distinct groups.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:45:51 pm »

It's unknown how to achieve it. I generate worlds with a lot of savagery and DFHack every biome to contain every creature the biome supports, but I still don't get particularly large animal people populations in other civs, and those don't visit my taverns anyway.

Bobtron is incorrect, unfortunately, as animal people who visit your tavern come from other civs, not the local environment. To join other civs the animal people need to exist (presumably nearby) so savage biomes are needed there. Embarking on a savage biome can cause wild animal people to appear, but those will never visit your tavern, just act like animals visiting the surface and leaving (though kea people are as thieving as the pure animal counterparts).

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 05:47:50 pm »

one time when i tried playing adventure mode as a tiger man (as i did not see a jackal man option) i noticed that i came from an elven civilization.
perhaps try embarking near elves?
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 04:21:21 am »

Animal people come from savage biomes of the type their normal correspondents live in, so forest dwelling animal people would presumably mostly join elven civs, while plains based ones would join humans, and mountain dwelling ones ought to join dwarven civs.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 11:20:55 am »

Animal people can be also "inherited" by conquering civilisations, for example if humans conquer a forest retreat, the site will have the animal people related to elves, but they will be a part of human civ. It seems the elves have more animal men in general, but I have a human town (originally human) which has 253 grizzly bear men. And only humans have lion men in my current world, for example.

Additionally, after retiring an adventurer a couple of times (each retire advances time by 2 weeks), I've noticed that mostly animal men procreate during that window, with other species doing it only sporadically. I don't know if this is also true during normal fortress play, or only after retiring.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:26:51 am »

as animal people who visit your tavern come from other civs, not the local environment.
Yes. I recommend going in adventure mode and creating your own! Then trying to breed them in fortress mode.
Can it be done?
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:58:31 pm »

as animal people who visit your tavern come from other civs, not the local environment.
Yes. I recommend going in adventure mode and creating your own! Then trying to breed them in fortress mode.
Can it be done?
Only with DFHacking, as adventurers have an adventurer specific "Indeterminate" sexual preferences flag set (and none of the other interest flags). I don't know if "correcting" these flags are sufficient, though,
In addition to the technical stuff, you also have the normal issues with getting fortress members to breed (age difference < 10 years shouldn't be an issue I presume [I don't know much about adventure mode], but getting them to get to know each other so you can start pre nuptial treatment is).