Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Visiting" dwarven baby  (Read 1362 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Visiting" dwarven baby
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:55:44 pm »

I ran into a weird situation I haven't seen before in my current fort - I now apparently have a visiting dwarven baby for some reason. Not really sure why - dunno if another dwarf visitor brought him along, or gave birth while here, or what. But he's now just kind of wandering around my fort on the same level as my tavern, unattended. Actually, mostly wandering around my dwarven bathtubs that I set up so that any dwarf going to his/her room will have to walk through one, which is why I noticed him in the first place - he was getting in my way trying to fill them up and wandering up the channels keeping me from closing the floodgates and such. I was curious why he wasn't being carried around, went to check on him in my citizen list, and he's not there. Actually he is on the "others" list, but instead of a Guest he's listed as Friendly.

So now I'm just wondering what happens to the tyke when he gets old enough to take care of himself (if the fort makes it that far). Since he's not a Guest, he probably won't petition for citizenship I'd imagine. Not sure if he'll just wander off the map again, or just forever wander the halls of my fortress, never actually belonging.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Visiting" dwarven baby
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 05:02:03 pm »

If you use DFHack you can check his relations using gui/gm-editor. If you're not, you should be able to find him in Legends Mode to see who the parents are.

Anyway, he's probably a goblin spy...

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 05:21:06 pm »

Maybe it is a forgotten beast who tricked your dwarves into thinking it is a baby.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:32:30 pm »

I've got a bunch of visitor babies crawling around my tavern. Pretty sure they were born there. Don't recall it ever being a thing in previous versions.

saberbom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 07:45:37 am »

Maybe it is a forgotten beast who tricked your dwarves into thinking it is a baby.
yeah... I'm guessing it's a reference from a another recent post. Haha!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 02:23:17 pm »

Visitors probably don't know how to take care of babies that pop out of them while in the fort. Have you seen any visitors with properly cared for babies?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 07:10:40 pm »

I haven't, no, though I haven't been looking at my visitors all that closely either. Especially since I have approximately 908079 of them, presumably spies since I've had ONE petition to join the civ.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 04:18:26 am »

The invading visitors I had in my attempt to play the new version before giving up due to plummeting FPS seem to all be artifact seekers (there are a couple of bards as well). I think the heavily armed artifact seekers who state that they visit the fortress to relax and ask about an artifact aren't actually spies, as I believe spies are supposed to use fake identities and not reveal that they're trying to find your artifacts (of which I had none, anyway).

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 12:08:38 pm »

had something similar happen to me, elf spy gave birth but the baby was listed as friendly not visitor.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 01:35:01 pm »

One thing I noticed is that visitor babies happily leave the tavern and go wandering around the fortress. Not sure what that implies, if anything.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 01:39:15 pm »

One thing I noticed is that visitor babies happily leave the tavern and go wandering around the fortress. Not sure what that implies, if anything.
that's just how babies are in DF, if no mother is carrying them they will crawl around the fortress.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 01:51:12 pm »

that's just how babies are in DF, if no mother is carrying them they will crawl around the fortress.
Up until now babies have all been citizens so always free to wander around the fortress as they please (which they do).