Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stirring abyss: Xcom/Darkest Dungeon hybrid?  (Read 1174 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Stirring abyss: Xcom/Darkest Dungeon hybrid?
« on: November 03, 2020, 06:22:07 pm »

You might have heard of this game.  You play as the crew of a submarine that fell down a crevice and ended up in a... strange place. Lovecraft vibes galore.

Now, the obvious gaming comparison is Terror from the Deep. And indeed in some ways you could consider the gameplay newcom-styled.
I  get a strong "Darkest Dungeon" vibe from the metagame however, at least in story mode. You have different rooms in the sub which you repair using the stuff you scavenge during missions, and they give you more options. Sanity loss due to encounters and special objects very much happens. Focus is on smaller 3 or 4 sized teams. You have an "air' timer that can be renewed but can cause sanity loss in a way similar to DD's torchlight

There is a second "Endless mode" which I've not tried yet. I assume its exactly what it says kn the tin. No idea on how it works metagame-wise

All in all I like it well enough to recommend it. It's not too expensive either and it's a decent, not-resource-hogging indy
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Stirring abyss: Xcom/Darkest Dungeon hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 08:43:43 pm »

Oooh, I had not heard about this one. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 02:47:57 pm »

One kind of significant thing to note is that the main (Story) mode is designed as a finite experience (I think there was an official statement of 13 missions, but I could be mistaken), unlike X-Com or DD where progression is based on your own actions. Endless is actively designed to have you fail eventually by throwing more and more stuff at you at increasing difficulty levels. In both modes, far as I can tell, the global difficulty increases based on amount of turns spent on map, so it behooves you to move quickly and not 100% clear.

Personally, playing this kind of makes me want to go back to either XCF/X-P, which bodes poorly. I like the idea that your craft (the submarine, in this case) is an active force on the battlefield that you can call in support from, though.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 02:58:18 pm »

Looks cool!
Why you gots to be showing me good stuff when I'm outa cash!?  >:( ;D

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 12:19:41 am »

One kind of significant thing to note is that the main (Story) mode is designed as a finite experience (I think there was an official statement of 13 missions, but I could be mistaken), unlike X-Com or DD where progression is based on your own actions. Endless is actively designed to have you fail eventually by throwing more and more stuff at you at increasing difficulty levels. In both modes, far as I can tell, the global difficulty increases based on amount of turns spent on map, so it behooves you to move quickly and not 100% clear.

Personally, playing this kind of makes me want to go back to either XCF/X-P, which bodes poorly. I like the idea that your craft (the submarine, in this case) is an active force on the battlefield that you can call in support from, though.

They are procedural missions (excep the first). So in a way story mode is also as replayable as you want. But the campaign itself is more lineal than xcom, yes. At least than oldcom/openxcom. Newcom is very tabletoppy and it always felt more on rails to me.

I like some of the gameplay things a lot though... it's a nice take on newcom's AP system. A longer and more dynamic and open ended campaign would be appretiated, if provided as dlc. But as it is it's pretty sweet. Also hard, btw
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.