Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49165 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World - PC release Aug 9th!
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2018, 06:31:56 pm »

Doing duos actually makes the monster really much harder.

The way it works in this game is that monster HP in MP (all MP, doesn't matter if it's 2 people or 4) is multiplied by basically 4x. So when you do duos, fights can take eons even if you're both super good.

Like when I fight Rathalos, it takes like... 5 minutes tops. When I duo with my friend and we're both really, really good... it takes like 20 minutes. And not just HP. mounting threshold is multiplied, part breakage is multiplied. Etc. etc. In SP you can cut Rathalos's tail in like.... 1 GS combo tops. In MP it takes a long, long time.

So if you're gonna do MP, you're better off doing it solo or with 3 or 4 people.

That being said... I have randomly joined some Bay12ers assignment quests here and there. Don't remember who though, but I've helped like 3 people from Dwarf Fortress with Nergigante.

I have nothing to do while ranking up so I just randomly join people or fight tempered or whatever. There's really not a lot of content in this game and I really don't like the way they did the MP lobby system in this.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2018, 08:53:25 pm »

I failed my first Nergigante quest too, embarrassingly. I'm not sure what caused my first 2 carts, but my third was I was trying to do an advancing guard but I hit the wrong button and did a forward hope right into one of his attacks. This was when I was still using the high rank chainmail armor. After I went and got some Uragaan armor it wasn't so bad. Think I still had Guard+4 when I fought him. Afterwards I tried doing SOSes with randoms but they kept carting so I just did it myself again in less time than an SOS.

Are you going into the battle with 150 health? If not that might be why it seems you're taking all that damage. Eat for defense up L (6 fish ingredients) and then use a max potion. Start cultivating the items to make max potions at the ancient tree so you don't have to worry about gathering all those items. Putting a fertilizer on top of an active one increases its lifespan and how many items you get per harvest.

EDIT: If we figure out how I could try joining you to help, but it'll probably just make his health pool larger. I'm not very far into the game so I probably wouldn't be carrying you, but I'd give him something else to aim at.

I beat it on my 4th attempt. Yeah I ate for defense and had 150hp. Had defense as high as it could get at the time. Problem was that powerguard makes you take a whole lot more damage than a normal guard. It was relatively easy once I started being careful which guard I used.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2018, 09:25:51 pm »

Nergigante is brutal if you let him dive-attack you. If you're going to be ranging him, you really have to master the superman-dive, and get the timing down. It'll likely take a few tries.
Once you have strong enough weapons, you can actually cheese Nergi very easily. Each time his white spikes get destroyed he is briefly stunned, which should give you enough time to destroy another set of spikes, chaining him to death. Alternatively you can just bring an Insect Glaive; he is almost completely powerless against sky-dancing.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2018, 09:55:07 pm »

So I just 'beat' the game, or at least got the end credits. Really hoping that they continue MH in this direction, but with more stuff to do and with PC releases. I remember MH4U taking much longer and you had so much variety in terms of monsters (though IIRC the maps weren't as good as 3U).

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2018, 10:27:28 am »

There are credits after you beat the normal mode, but after you play through the same content on hard there are more areas to explore and story to unlock, and a lot more loot to collect. Events also occur regularly, some of which temporarily unlock new areas and monsters.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2018, 02:04:09 pm »

I took this screenshot while hunting all the endemic life in the game:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also this one, which I thought was kinda funny. (spoilers for the end game)

And this, which basically explains Monster Hunter's terrible bossfight design which they were kinda improving, then went back to maximum lameness in this version. Giant HP pools and yet extremely simple. It's not like this in MHXX (MH Generations).

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2018, 03:00:22 pm »

Is it me or where Jhen/Dahren Morhan more fun than Zorah? I mean, the idea of fighting a monster on the back of another monster is cool but it's implemented pretty poorly here. He sticks around for maybe a minute before leaving. Then after Zorah gets to the barrier it's just shooting cannons at him, you can't even get back on him.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2018, 03:37:24 pm »

I tried that and I got teleported back onto the platform even though I was walking on top of him for a split second...?

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2018, 04:49:03 pm »

Is it me or where Jhen/Dahren Morhan more fun than Zorah? I mean, the idea of fighting a monster on the back of another monster is cool but it's implemented pretty poorly here. He sticks around for maybe a minute before leaving. Then after Zorah gets to the barrier it's just shooting cannons at him, you can't even get back on him.
As already explained by others, you can get on top of Zorah again, but I agree with you that Jhen and Dahren Mohran were way more fun. I think the main thing is it felt like you actually had to try in those fights, whereas in the Zorah fight you can lackadaisically wander around doing things and it kinda just works out.

I mean, you don't even have to fight
when it appears. You can literally ignore it and there are no consequences.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2018, 09:05:39 pm »

Compare those bosses to the final bosses of MHXX: (major spoilers obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS4QN-VFOQM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQLP8omCW0

Those are some amazing bosses.

MHXX's final boss alone makes me want to buy a switch.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2018, 11:42:16 pm »

triple carted to Valstrax the Rocket Dragon for the first time \o/

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2018, 08:29:14 am »

Beat the main story yesterday. Also, despite having played a lot of hunting horn in previous games, I never tried to properly figure out the hunting horn's recital and encore attacks. I spent a good hour in the training room and I've basically got it all figured out for MHW. There are 6 possible different animations/attacks for recital and 9 for encore. Knowing exactly which one would come out under which circumstance has definitely helped, the damage output of a fully utilized HH moveset is pretty damn high. I'll probably put together a video guide going over all of the Hunting Horn's details since I didn't find any that covered everything in detail.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2018, 11:52:03 am »

Beat the main story yesterday. Also, despite having played a lot of hunting horn in previous games, I never tried to properly figure out the hunting horn's recital and encore attacks. I spent a good hour in the training room and I've basically got it all figured out for MHW. There are 6 possible different animations/attacks for recital and 9 for encore. Knowing exactly which one would come out under which circumstance has definitely helped, the damage output of a fully utilized HH moveset is pretty damn high. I'll probably put together a video guide going over all of the Hunting Horn's details since I didn't find any that covered everything in detail.
Please do, actually, and link it here if you get the chance. I've played a decent chunk of hunting horn in MHW, but never actually bothered to lab the thing despite realizing that recitals can have varied animations depending on which move you do previous and which cardinal direction you select. I mostly just stick with Forward+TopFaceButton into Recital because I like kicking the horn.

Having the knowledge compiled in one place would be super helpful, and might even encourage people to pick up the weapon. Poor hunting horn is still seriously underutilized.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2018, 03:24:13 pm »

I've seen 2 tutorials on the hunting horn and neither of them went over all of the moves. They also mentioned stocking up songs to use as 'ammo' but never fully explained that. Do they mean playing one song then dodging out of it so that you can do the recital/encore moves again to play the next song or do they mean something else?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2018, 06:18:54 pm »

I've seen 2 tutorials on the hunting horn and neither of them went over all of the moves. They also mentioned stocking up songs to use as 'ammo' but never fully explained that. Do they mean playing one song then dodging out of it so that you can do the recital/encore moves again to play the next song or do they mean something else?

If you have multiple songs queued you can play them all in a row if you want by holding the recital button. This is handy since you can then use a single encore to double them all up, this just takes a lot of time. I'll do this at the start of a quest in co-op or before an engagement if I'm fighting something I don't feel safe around, like tempered Bageljuice. Most of the time though I play my songs one at a time and pretty much always use the recitals as an attack, if you're in combat and you're doing a recital without trying to hit a monster with it, you're doing it wrong, those things hurt and can then be chained into encores which deal stupid amounts of damage. Having at least one song comprised of 3 or 4 notes readied at all times is useful though since a backwards encore of a 3+ note song is your strongest move and you want it ready if you get the opening.

Edit: When playing multiple songs at once, it's the 3rd that really makes the whole thing take so long, playing 2 songs at once is relatively quick.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:12:12 pm by Ygdrad »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 32