Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49812 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World - PC release Aug 9th!
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2018, 11:10:46 pm »

I've seen 2 tutorials on the hunting horn and neither of them went over all of the moves. They also mentioned stocking up songs to use as 'ammo' but never fully explained that. Do they mean playing one song then dodging out of it so that you can do the recital/encore moves again to play the next song or do they mean something else?
If you have multiple songs queued you can play them all in a row if you want by holding the recital button.
Quick correction: you don't have to hold the recital button. If there are multiple songs in the queue, they'll all be played in a row unless you cancel with an encore or dodge.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2018, 07:05:59 am »

The quest to hunt the Anjanath goes down as one of my recent favorites. While it was my first time actually hunting (and capturing) him, I did get some practice against him during other hunts. Ever since The MHF2 popo tongue quest where Tigrex pops in I'll accept any monster's challenge.

The Barroth was actually a tougher fight for me, in terms of how close I got to triple carting. Still, my hunts so far have been a series of successes.

Right now I've got full Vespoid armor (slinging stones during the Vespoid hunting quest for the canteen i think it was was all I needed) and a trusty Long Sword.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2018, 03:28:00 pm »

I didn't know that using the slinger kills vespoids without exploding them, so I was using poison smoke bombs. Is there any real point to the poison bombs now that the slinger can do that? Plus there's an armor skill that prevents them from exploding too.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2018, 03:41:56 pm »

I didn't know that using the slinger kills vespoids without exploding them, so I was using poison smoke bombs. Is there any real point to the poison bombs now that the slinger can do that? Plus there's an armor skill that prevents them from exploding too.
Nah, no real point to poison smoke.

They also explode kinda rarely to begin with. There's lots of ways to farm them without going out of your way.

Hell, I kinda just kill them with my kinsect. Dies in one kinsect attack.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2018, 03:18:53 pm »

A connection patch was released today. Has anyone noticed any improvements to multiplayer? Haven't gotten to try it yet.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2018, 05:27:50 pm »

having fun with the gunlance. its a solid performer; high defense shield with minimal stagger, low but consistent poke damage from behind the shield, high burst damage with spikes and wyvernblast. it used to be my solo weapon of choice back in monster hunter freedom unite, until i switched to greatswords.

the horn is a hilarious thing to bring into random sos quests. i'll wallop on the target with heal combos and then circle the fight closely when i play the healing melody and attempt to combo with the encore.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2018, 12:01:47 pm »

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate--the full, G-rank version of Generations--is releasing tomorrow on the Switch. If you played Generations on 3DS it supports savefile importing so you don't have to start over.

If you've somehow never heard of Generations, it's a crazy "spinoff" with the core Monster Hunter gameplay, plus the addition of insane weapon styles to encourage experimentation and variety. It also has 93(!!!) total large monsters to fight, including the extremely challenging Deviant monsters.

Yes, this is basically a sales pitch for a game I'm quite fond of. I suggest you give it a go if you're even slightly interested and don't mind losing some of the little quality-of-life things that Monster Hunter World brought with it. I'll be playing it for Gog-only-knows unholy amounts of time after it's out, so feel free to PM me if you want somebody to hunt with.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2018, 12:50:02 pm »

Why does it have to come out just one day after my classes start

But yeah, regarding the lack of World's QOL changes I guess I'm kinda lucky that I didn't play World and am used to not having those things

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 28, 2018, 11:52:37 am »

This game makes me feel sorry for the monsters  :'(

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 28, 2018, 09:32:04 pm »

screw those scaly bois

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 29, 2018, 06:35:31 am »

I don't care if they're working two jobs to support their wife and children, I'm still going to give them Annoyance by 1000 Cuts followed by a pair of roofies.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 29, 2018, 09:42:21 am »

I gotta say, the Monster Hunter games always had a bit of narrative dissonance going on. Especially in the more recent entries the stories present a very 'nature is great, we should respect and seek to understand it' narrative while mechanically you're just hoovering up all the resources you can and clobbering/capturing the native wildlife.

In Tri the ultimate (low rank) quest was simply diverting the great beardy sea creature... then post-story you go back and kill it for that viking-themed gear.

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2018, 09:49:19 am »

LOL. I didn't play it yet just watching a couple of gameplay videos I thought poor monsters. I felt kinda similar for some of the Dark Souls bosses. This huge gorgeous creature is just being itself and you're being an asshole.  :D

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2018, 03:25:26 pm »

I never played it but there's a spinoff game called Monster Hunter Stories(?) and you basically go around befriending monsters and they fight along with you like pets.

Anyways, there was an interesting reddit post I read about the subject a few days ago. The gist of it is that while there are a handful of 'innocent' creature there are quite a lot that are rather devastating. Creating tornadoes all over a continent, threatening to sink an entire island into the ocean, nearly making an entire continent explode, that kind of thing.

Link if you want that perspective in more detail.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 29, 2018, 09:29:46 pm »

Oh yeah, it's definitely a world where humans are not the apex predator. And several of those imminent disasters you mention aren't even malicious monsters, just the little humans getting caught in the ripple effects of all these giant monsters.

In terms of demeanor it's not at all a survival/struggle setting, though, which always makes it come off odd.

Edit: From looking at that thread a little more, there's also the mention of the canon story v. the actual gameplay, i.e. it's assumed you do each quest once (and I guess no investigations, which are sort-of-random quests in MHW). In actual gameplay, though, you do go out and kill dragon after dragon after dragon, marking off the largest and smallest slain, keeping tabs on just how many you've killed/captured, that sort of thing. It's a story/gameplay dissonance that I've always found rather silly.

Then again, pre-MHW a lot of the animations were intentionally made quite ridiculous so it was clear it wasn't taking itself too seriously (e.g. potion drinking, diving into rock-hard beds, etc. etc.). MHW is a little more straight in its style.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 09:37:31 pm by Dostoevsky »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32