Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49766 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World
« Reply #270 on: February 07, 2019, 12:42:06 am »

The duration of their stay in the locale is the issue for me, especially when they're at or above your capabilities. I swear Anjanath is programmed to just run the fuck away and waste your time. I lost track of them twice during different expeditions because we'd have one exchange, then he'd spend 4 minutes at a time running across the whole map. I don't think I was wearing anything with Intimidator on it at the time.

But I'm starting to learn a few tricks to slow them down and maybe engage them enough they choose to fight.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 07, 2019, 01:14:57 pm »

The duration of their stay in the locale is the issue for me, especially when they're at or above your capabilities. I swear Anjanath is programmed to just run the fuck away and waste your time. I lost track of them twice during different expeditions because we'd have one exchange, then he'd spend 4 minutes at a time running across the whole map. I don't think I was wearing anything with Intimidator on it at the time.

But I'm starting to learn a few tricks to slow them down and maybe engage them enough they choose to fight.
The monsters generally stay long enough for a well-equipped hunter or hunters to bring them down. In World, I think that's something between 10-15 minutes. So if you're a bit undergeared or not fighting super well that day, yeah, you're probably not going to kill something being cycled in and out during an expedition.

Keep in mind that capturing can significantly reduce the time you spend fighting a monster. In World the capture threshold seems to be a lot higher, so you effectively save yourself the effort of hacking through another large chunk of HP for the low, low price of a shock trap and a couple tranqs.

Intimidator does not affect large monsters at all, by the way. It only prevents small monster aggro (which it states in the in-game skill description) so you don't get bothered by them when you're trying to do other stuff. So don't be afraid of having it as an armor skill.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:16:33 pm by Nighthawk »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 07, 2019, 01:33:43 pm »

I've generally always waited until the monster is limping before I deploy traps and give 'em the gas. Which generally doesn't save me any real time. But with such limited quantities of traps available in a mission, it feels like it's hard to experiment to find the sweet spot. I guess in expeditions it's not a BFD, but on capture quests which I've already spent tickets on, it's something I haven't tried to gamble with.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 07, 2019, 04:10:19 pm »

You can go to the tent and refresh your items mid hunt. I'll simply put that this reason is why I started to bring far casters.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 07, 2019, 04:44:45 pm »

Ah, ok. I was wondering what if anything the tent did, and if there was a way to pull from your storage during a mission, because the supply box obviously didn't do it. Thanks.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 07, 2019, 05:44:10 pm »

Don't underestimate the slinger. Get some scatternuts (or a similar pod later on) and when a monster does a grapple attack on you use it to get them to back up and allow you to stand up. If the map turns white and the monster begins to leave you can force them to stay by hitting them with a scatternut.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 07, 2019, 10:01:40 pm »

Holy shit, I only noticed the existence of the "The Greatest Jagras" quest today, right before it disappeared.

I am mad about how much this Great Jagras kicked my endgame-gear-clad ass. I went into it being gentle because I didn't want to accidentally kill it before it coughed up the decorations for me... but quickly realized this was a listed as a 9-star quest for a reason.

Kinda wish I'd found it sooner, though. Terrible as it was, getting like 30 decorations from a single quest was pretty nice...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 08, 2019, 02:43:35 pm »

There's times when I feel like this game is easy, and then times I question if I actually know what I'm doing.

Like, I fight Rathian once, splatter her. Fight her again later, get fainted within the first 2 minutes of the fight.

It's not even like missing a dodge. More it's like....positioning. I think the monster AI is trained to understand the distance between you. So when you end up in a corner, they just go ape shit on you and the timing between their attacks is much, much lower than when you are fighting in the open and dodging a good distance away from them. Not a big issue for the first couple of monsters, but later on when they're breathing fire, using poison attacks or doing other sorts of crazy stuff, you can go from doing fine to fuckin' dead in just a few attacks. Not unlike Dark Souls I suppose. I guess the difference is, when I feel like I know a boss in Dark Souls, very little of what they can do surprises me. With MHW though even monsters I think I know well will sometimes pull out an extra large can of whoopass and it catches me off guard.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 04:13:46 pm by nenjin »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 09, 2019, 06:14:50 pm »

Kinda wish I'd found it sooner, though. Terrible as it was, getting like 30 decorations from a single quest was pretty nice...
The new lavasoith event does the same thing, but not nearly as many decorations as fast. It is a bit easier in my opinion, both in terms of damage taken and ability to avoid attacks.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 09, 2019, 06:28:29 pm »

Just got to what I assume is postgame.  Fight a behemoth.

NPCs: Maybe you should use an SOS flare.

Me: You guys ALWAYS SAY THAT and I always solo the monster like a boss, shut up.

*Shoots arrow from best bow I got, hits behemoth*

1 damage

Me:  :I Ok I think I should SOS flare now *gets explodied*

The game tricked me.  They are so panicky about SOS flares that by the time I actually need it I ignore them :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 09, 2019, 06:34:13 pm »

"postgame" occurs after you fight
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Behemoth is a crossover even from the final fantasy MMO and is designed to sort of give a similar feeling to a boss in an MMO where you have a 'tank' draw the monster's attention while other people heal and deal damage to the distracted monster. It was designed to be fought with 4 players.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2019, 06:45:37 pm »

Huh I knew he was a crossover but I didn't know they brought tanking mechanics over too until I looked hum up on youtube too.  I actually fought him in FF14 and from the looks of his video he has just about all of his mechanics too.  Including the hide behind the rock or die meteor and a DPS check.  No click the crystals or die, but that was a stupid mechanic in that fight and was more the stage than him anyway.

A lot more faithful than most crossovers I've seen in games.  I'm even still using a bow, just like I was when I first fought him in crystal tower in FF14. Nice.  I'll probably never be able to beat him, but nice.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 11, 2019, 07:24:22 pm »

They also brought Rathalos into FFXIV.

There are Monster Hunter mechanics too, such as only healing via a stack of 10 mega potions, no visual indicators for attack pattern outside of the monsters animations, and harvesting the boss for rewards.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 18, 2019, 11:23:25 am »

Well I think I've got my legs under me now. Done the story up through the Rotten Vale, and slain every monster I know about with the exception of Kirin, who I just got the quest for.

Diablos and Rathalos were by far the hardest to learn how to beat, surprising probably no one. Rathalos because I wasn't using Flash Pods pretty much the whole game up until now. Being able to flash the monster and put them on the ground for 40 seconds to a minute is the difference between winning and losing, I've found.

Diablos....just took a lot of resources and a few faints. I had to capture him because, honestly, the "I'm about to die" rage mode makes him an unbelievable pain in the ass. Even though I know capturing is ideal compared to slaying, I dunno, I prefer to slay. Capturing to avoid the end of the fight somehow feels like cheating, most other bosses once you've gotten them down that far the fight is usually in the bag. Not with him. He can two shot you pretty easily even right near the end of the fight. You also gotta time your rolls and dodges really well in conjunction with sprinting, because he's so fucking big that if you dodge from the center line of his charge, you're going to get hit more often than not. Really he's just one of those fights you have to do everything right; get a little sloppy when trying to avoid his ground pop up attack, you're going to get wrecked. Snooze a little bit when he's about to emerge from the sandfall, you're gonna get wrecked. Spend half the fight chasing him across the arena and end up doing little to no damage and taking plenty of hits? You're gonna get wrecked or run out of time.

Pretty much every other monster in the game, once the learning phase is over, I've steamrolled.

I <3 this game very much. I think I'm at like 60 hours already and haven't finished the story because I just keep nancing around doing the optional quests, or doing expeditions to find all the hidden camps and Palico tribes and what not in each region. I'm doing a lot of farming now for stuff like Whetfish Scales, Honey, Flash Bugs and all that other stuff. I figure farming now will make HR a little less tedious since I'll have most things I need to hunt and hunt and hunt without having to stop to fill up on essentials. I'm also basically making sure to craft every weapon I know the full recipe for, before I move on to the next big thing. It took me a while to learn that, unlike most games, consumables and optimization aren't REALLY optional in MHW. Sure, you CAN win without appropriately matched gear and tons of consumables, but it's like playing Dark Souls naked and doing a no-hit run: it CAN be done but it doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. Once I started using Demon Drugs, Armor Skins, the mantles, Flash Pods, traps and the best elementally matched weapon for the monster I'm hunting, the game got easy enough I could start paying attention to what the monster actually does instead of constantly just rolling and healing to barely stay in the fight. I've also progressed enough with using the Long Sword I'm starting to look in to the finesse side of the weapon, with the dodge strikes and what not.

I guess I've also learned that putting damage on vulnerable areas consistently is how you win fights. If you're not stacking multiple hits against their weak points, they won't ever get stunned. If they don't ever get stunned, you never really get the chance to go ham on them. Trading a couple hits here and there is fine for weapon resource building but you always have to be working toward that knock down and the big combo if you want to beat the tough monsters. Little else will do, at least for melee.

Tried to get a friend in to the game but right now he's hung up on the tedium of fights. He went with Dual Blades and I don't have the heart to tell him that his weapon choice probably made the game harder initially for him than it could be. Played through all of Dark Souls 3 with the guy and got him to love it, but he's still on the fence with MHW despite basically getting up to the same part of the story as I am. He gets why the game is good but can't escape the impression that monster fights are time consuming and you don't have great feedback that you're doing damage or making progress. I know this isn't actually the case with the game but for him the subtleties are too subtle, and the moments where the AI is like "I'm gonna fuck ya" really get under his skin. I can't blame him honestly, it is pretty goddamn frustrating to have spent 15 minutes fighting a monster and chasing them to three different places, only to have them turn around and break out an industrial sized can of whoopass on you with no warning. The flying monster types like Paolumu really piss him off because he has no range, and despite knowing that Flash Pods are a thing and using them, he still pretty much hates the amount of dancing around you have to do with monsters like that.

Question: I just unlocked the Melding lady. On the surface it seems like a very easy way to get what you want versus growing or harvesting it. Yet in all the tips videos I've watched, not one person has mentioned her. Is melding a bad deal resource wise or.....? Because being able to turn 40 Monster Bone S in to Flash Pods seems pretty amazing. There's a lot of garbage in game you eventually won't need anymore (I think I'v got like 40 Great Jagras manes) and the Melder seems like a great way to turn it all in to something useful. A lot of noise was made about Zenni in tips videos, how the cash requirements go way up in High Rank. So far that doesn't seem to be the case in low rank. Does it make more sense to sell everything later on, rather than meld it in to something useful?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:51:12 am by nenjin »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 18, 2019, 01:06:40 pm »

Once you progress past a certain point there are sidequests to unlock a botany center where you can grow herbs and honey and such.

Fun fact
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32