Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World  (Read 17019 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World
« Reply #315 on: February 20, 2019, 11:10:09 am »

Dual Blades are probably the only thing he'd use. He is a mobility guy, likes his weapons and stuff edgy and fast and cool.

He's been building new armor and reinforcing it so I don't think that's the issue per se.

Mostly he just lacks patience and doesn't find the process of failing a hunt to learn something all that pleasant. The way enemies telegraph isn't that obvious, the AI being trained to dick you over sometimes, the lack of obvious feedback, the fact monsters are giant bundles of HP with no HP bar so you don't know how well the fight is progressing...

And to be fair, I spent a lot of time in the early game just getting comfortable with my weapon. About 4x as much as he has. I get the goodness with my weapon but I think he's still trying to understand his.

MHW definitely requires a decent frustration threshold from the player.

FWIW he says there's a lot to like about the game. But having gotten up through Rotten Vale he still says he's reserving final judgment on it. Which, in my mind, is pretty indicative of how he actually feels already.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:50:20 am by nenjin »
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 20, 2019, 01:22:13 pm »

Yeah that's most of the way through the main story portion of the game, that is,
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 20, 2019, 04:40:07 pm »

Perhaps he should slow down his combat a bit since it sounds like he enjoys being super fast. He doesn't need to speedrun the hunts if he's just starting, I don't even speedrun hunts myself because that's not necessarily why I play. What I suggest is treat the game like a turn based game. It could just be how long I've been playing but the monster telegraphs seem pretty clear to me unless you're standing directly underneath the monster so the camera is blocked by their body. Most enemies follow a sort of pattern: first they'll target someone, and do an attack animation based on how far away the target is, sometimes they'll even walk/fly to close the distance if they're just out of range but not far enough away to do a charging attack of sorts. Once their attack is finished they will either follow up with another attack or they will target someone else. and repeat. Learning what the attack animations look like (specifically the end of them so you know when another attack is coming) is pretty useful. The exceptions are flinches on certain monsters who have counterattacks (Odogaron and Teostra come to mind) and monsters becoming exhausted (who will just stand there catching their breath instead of attacking).

I forget if I mentioned this but at first he should be eating at the canteen every quest and choosing the chef's choice platter to get the most HP possible. Later on you'll use max potions instead but that usually requires farming Mandragoras.

Sometimes just standing in the right place can be the difference between getting cheapshotted and avoiding such a fate. Does he typically target the monster's head? I bet he does, and if he's standing directly in front of its face then that's the most dangerous spot to stand. Try standing either at a diagonal or to the side while still being able to hit the head and it's slightly safer. When trying to avoid monsters move in diagonals or perpendicular, since a lot of ranged attacks don't track after they've targeted you so moving diagonally will make the attacks miss, don't even need to serpentine or anything like that. Since he's using DB it's possible that he keeps running out of stamina and doesn't have any left to dodge with. Make sure he's eating steaks/canteen meals/rations to keep his stamina at 150 throughout the hunt, and if he has access to them dash juice or wiggli liches (those slugs found on fallen tree trunks) are practically mandatory if he wants to use Demon Mode all the time.

Not all that much to say about monsters being big bundles of HP. I usually compare this game to things like Warframe and such, except in Warframe and its ilk all the enemy HP is spread across the entire mission while in Monster Hunter the entire health pool is crammed into a single enemy that hits like a 6 ton monster (for some reason, hmmm).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 20, 2019, 04:51:37 pm »

He's been consuming all the tips videos so I think he's got the fundamentals down. It may just be that it's not for him. Then again, he whined and complained and bitched and moaned and lambasted Dark Souls for weeks before something clicked and he started to enjoy himself. Now he sings the game's praises. I dunno, when it comes to "tough games", some gamers need to find their niche at their own pace, and have their freakouts in private, and they make for poor companions until they reach that point. Could be the case with him.
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 19, 2019, 05:37:34 pm »

Any Deviljho tips?

I've successfully hunted him a few times, but right now my only avenue for hunting him is finding him via Expeditions (or as an intruder on another hunt) and I don't quite have enough damage etc... to guarantee that I can capture him before he leaves the map. I have several crafting needs he's a part of, and apparently getting investigations is random so I can't really rely on those yet for longer hunt durations. If I had 30 minutes I'd be doing it no sweat, but the ~15 to 20 minute expedition timer they have is often just too short.

So other than just playing better and tighter, any tips folks have learned that make him a bit easier to put damage on? The son of a bitch rarely stands still, and even his knockdowns and roll overs and what not seem shorter than most other monsters. Going back to fight Bazelgeuse was like night and day, I kicked the shit out of him in like 7 minutes, where as I struggle to get Deviljho down to capture status within 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:47:51 pm by nenjin »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2019, 06:23:38 pm »

What weapon are you using?

Granted, it's been a while since I've last played (PC user, waiting for the expansion), but back when I played it a fair bit I pretty much had to rely on lance, gunlance, or heavy bowgun (with dedicated shielding and good ammo options) when fighting the great pickle. They're just so aggressive, so much, that being able the tanking/counter ability of those weapon options allowed me to squeeze in more hits.

Overall, though, it is a lot easier to get it as a specific target (either through the RNG quests or the rotating quests) and then getting a party. Of course, in that case you'll have to expect a certain amount of triple-carting failures.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 19, 2019, 06:31:24 pm »

It has been a long while since I last played but you should be able to just use the optional quest to fight him. Granted, investigations with gold/silver rewards will give you better stuff but that requires actually getting the investigation to begin with. When you're doing an optional quest it's a 50 minute time limit instead of the expedition timer, but you fail after 3 carts.

In case you still haven't unlocked the optional quest somehow here's a copy paste I just found:
Quote from: Reddit
[*]Go on an expedition with ??? monster Icon. Get Track or at least see DevilJho for once.
[*]Head back to base and talk to 3 researchers with blue exclamation mark on the right side of the quest board.
[*]That should unlock the special investigation quest for you.
[*]Finish the special investigation quest head back, talk to the same group of 3 researchers.
[*]You then unlock dragonproof mantle and finally Jho's Optional Quest. Today's Special: Hunter Flambe.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:33:38 pm by Ozyton »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 19, 2019, 06:47:06 pm »

Oh derr. That's right you can replay all the quests. I'm pretty sure I have his optional quest. Thanks.

Also apparently the actual answer in fact git gud. I don't hardly ever use my counter but it's literally the answer to most of my problems.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:15:11 pm by nenjin »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 20, 2019, 08:20:47 am »

recently picked this up when it went on 50%, so far it's been a blast killing things and making pants out of them

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 20, 2019, 02:33:12 pm »

There are still things I need to do in this game, but I've been pretty burned out and none of my friends feel like playing, so I'll probably pick it up once Iceborne comes out on PC

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 21, 2019, 02:57:29 pm »

I need to beat the 4 big Eldar Dragons but I've been spending inordinate amounts of time farming up all my weapons to max and making armor sets I don't use. In truth I'm just nervous to try them solo, but I will prevail!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 29, 2019, 12:21:40 pm »

So I've been trying to get into this over the past week or so, don't have much playtime in yet but I've done the first couple of quests and some side stuff. The tracking and gathering stuff is fun, the combat I'm still not quite down with. I can get the basics of it and how it should work but the controls (k+m) are kinda too clunky and not entirely intuitive when it comes to aiming. I've fiddled with the settings a bit but it seems kinda weird to be able to lock on specific parts of the body and then your attack direction still being dependant entirely on your keyboard directional inputs which are just not precise enough for that.  So you end up with a lot of flailing about and whiffed hits because of it. It might just be my choice of the gunlance not being the best but I like the idea of the weapon and it seems to be the middle ground in terms of complexity between the ranged weapons which seem to be puzzles in their own right and the more straightforward melee stuff.

Any tips regarding coming to grips with the control scheme? Wait for a controller? Fiddle with the settings? Or is it just a matter of unlearning my DS habits and adapting to this stuff (which might be easier said than done since I'm still playing a bit of DS3 on the side these days)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Nope
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 29, 2019, 12:36:50 pm »

So I've been trying to get into this over the past week or so, don't have much playtime in yet but I've done the first couple of quests and some side stuff. The tracking and gathering stuff is fun, the combat I'm still not quite down with. I can get the basics of it and how it should work but the controls (k+m) are kinda too clunky and not entirely intuitive when it comes to aiming. I've fiddled with the settings a bit but it seems kinda weird to be able to lock on specific parts of the body and then your attack direction still being dependant entirely on your keyboard directional inputs which are just not precise enough for that.  So you end up with a lot of flailing about and whiffed hits because of it. It might just be my choice of the gunlance not being the best but I like the idea of the weapon and it seems to be the middle ground in terms of complexity between the ranged weapons which seem to be puzzles in their own right and the more straightforward melee stuff.

Any tips regarding coming to grips with the control scheme? Wait for a controller? Fiddle with the settings? Or is it just a matter of unlearning my DS habits and adapting to this stuff (which might be easier said than done since I'm still playing a bit of DS3 on the side these days)
Mouse and keyboard aren't something I would ever recommend for a game series that has historically been designed with a controller in mind, but MHW's controls are pretty usable with mouse and keyboard. The biggest limitation of the keyboard is the lack of full 360 degree movement, and thus precise melee aiming, but you can get around that.

First, if you're using the permanent Zelda-esque lock-on camera that constantly keeps the monster in the center of your screen, don't. Change the settings to only move the camera to the monster when you press a key or just... don't lock on. Like you guessed, this game is not Dark Souls and lock-on is not really meant to be used all the time. With that out of the way, just keep your target body part in the center of the screen, right in front of your hunter when you're attacking. This will guarantee that an attack performed while holding forward (W) will connect as long as your spacing is right.

The concept is pretty much the same for people who use controllers, too; keep the monster on the screen with your own camera controls so you have the freedom to decide what to stare at. It might seem counter intuitive, like you said, to have a lock-on system and then not really use it, but one of the key elements of Monster Hunter is positioning and surgical precision with melee weapons, so it's something you'll just have to get used to doing yourself.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 29, 2019, 01:40:50 pm »

Pretty much what Nighthawk said, but there is one option that you should definitely enable... but I forget the name of it. I'm pretty sure when the game first launched the mouse controls felt like it was poorly imitating an analog stick, or it had ridiculous amounts of mouse acceleration, but whatever the case is there's an option now to have the mouse behave like in any third person shooter as you would expect. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to open the game up to see what the name of the option is, but with some fiddling you should find it.

The concept is pretty much the same for people who use controllers, too; keep the monster on the screen with your own camera controls so you have the freedom to decide what to stare at. It might seem counter intuitive, like you said, to have a lock-on system and then not really use it, but one of the key elements of Monster Hunter is positioning and surgical precision with melee weapons, so it's something you'll just have to get used to doing yourself.
I'm kinda weird in that I don't use lock-on, and don't always keep the monster centered. There are even times where I've timed a counter/dodge based on audio cues because I let the monster jump off outside of my view and my thumbs were busy. I just can't get used to tapping L1 to snap the view to the monster. This also means the camera tends to wind up in awkward positions but I don't think it's ever negatively impacted my play. I always play with 'orientation 2' controls so no matter which way my camera is facing my dodge and certain special attack controls are relatively to my hunter (I.E. lance's super hop is always back + dodge no matter where the camera is facing). Then again I've been playing with those orientation controls since MH3U so I've gotten quite used to them by now and would probably be terrible playing any other way.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 29, 2019, 02:10:29 pm »

Yeah I recently got into this too and the controls felt clunky at first. I did a few small changes to make them more usable, like binding defend (I use a charge blade) to shift and making sprint Q, a few other minor tweaks. It's worked out really well. Stick with it and it will start to feel better imo.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23