Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49511 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World
« Reply #330 on: October 22, 2019, 10:24:06 am »

I just put probably another 80 hours in to MHW to finish about 90% of HR quests. Definitely needed a break as I was starting to get that "what is the point other than farming decorations" feeling come over me.

Looking forward to the expac when it drops for PC.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 22, 2019, 12:54:15 pm »

It's all pretty new to me as I've not played any prior monster hunter games before, but I will say that either I am supremely unlucky or the game has really cunning timing built in. Both the Deviljho and the Bazelgeuse seem to randomly 'show up' right when I least expect or want them. I had nearly killed a HR black diablos when a Deviljho strolled in and flipped out on both of us. I managed to finish the kill but only just, and got stunlocked and fainted once when I would have been fine.

I've since started carrying dung pods.
Bazel and Jho are attracted to others monsters' roars. In other words, they come looking for trouble at every opportunity. If you're fighting a monster and it roars, be prepared for one or the other to drop in on you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #332 on: October 22, 2019, 01:31:24 pm »

Fortunately Bazel doesn't bother me too much. He telegraphs most of his moves well in advance and I can usually drive him off or hide. Jho can fuck right off though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 22, 2019, 01:44:54 pm »

Tempered Bazel is an asshole. Same shit, only his explodies and dive bomb do way, way more damage.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 22, 2019, 02:37:16 pm »

I like tempered hunts a lot.  They don't feel substantially harder, especially double-tempered since it reduces their health (I was dreading the double bazelgeuse HR30 quest but I did it without carting), but the increased damage makes it a lot more tight and intense, there's a lot less room for error even against easy monsters.  Barroth's steam charge can do like 90% of your health and even paolumu can hurt you bad.

Haven't fought a tempered deviljho yet though, wondering if maybe it's an HR50 investigation. 

One thing I've noticed is almost every investigation seems to get a bazelgeuse in it.  The worst investigation I've had was a tempered paolumu with a bazelgeuse and a deviljho, so basically each time I caught up to the paolumu I had about 15 seconds to fight it before something horrible showed up and scared it off.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 22, 2019, 03:10:43 pm »

I found Tempered Black Diablos to be a pain in my ass. If he stuns you with one hit, and follows up, your ass is going out on a piece of wood.

So Arch-Tempered Dragons get a health reduction? Or is that different than double-tempered?

I can also see Arch-Tempered Lunastra being a very painful fight.

In general though yeah, I've enjoyed Tempered Hunts. Once you're in to like Tier 6 weapons, some decent gear and decorations, even a lot of the low-tier Tempered Monster hunts don't feel challenging enough.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 22, 2019, 03:29:52 pm »

I mean double as in two tempered monsters.  I don't think there's arch-tempered normal monsters.  Double hunts always have reduced health, I dunno how much but it feels like 50% to 75% health for each monster. 

As far as I can tell the tempered levels are just a hard divide between different monsters.  The lesser monsters, up to Rathian and Anjanath, are Threat 1, then everything else is Threat 2, except elder dragons which are Threat 3
Shoes...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 23, 2019, 12:36:36 pm »

I'd rather fight Deviljho over Beetlejuice any day. I play Insect Glaive so I can easily avoid Deviljho's big angry cloud of death thing by jumping/dashing away. Bubbajoyce just flies about dropping horrible instant death all over the place and I hate him.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 23, 2019, 12:56:14 pm »

I'd rather fight Deviljho over Beetlejuice any day. I play Insect Glaive so I can easily avoid Deviljho's big angry cloud of death thing by jumping/dashing away. Bubbajoyce just flies about dropping horrible instant death all over the place and I hate him.
Seconding this. The only weapon I can fight Bazel with that doesn't feel like pulling teeth is bowgun (or bow). Any monster that can drop extremely high-damage explosives right on top of you with literally no telegraph is garbage and deserves to be pierce-shot spammed from optimal range until it falls down.

Deviljho at least gives you a chance to fight him in melee without being instantly annihilated for no real reason.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 23, 2019, 01:42:09 pm »

I'd rather fight Bazel than Deviljho with the Long Sword. Deviljho has no chill to wait on your slow ass weapon to swing, so unless you're pulling Foresight Slashes constantly out of your ass, you're always just a couple seconds away from a body slam or shoulder charge. I find it really hard to find good damage windows against Deviljho.

Bazel is like "guess I'll just stand over here until you're done flying around like a jackass."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:00:36 pm by nenjin »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #340 on: October 23, 2019, 02:18:28 pm »

I use a chargeblade so really unless I'm in axe mode I'm just a keypress away from 'lol didn't hurt' shielding. I always keep the shield charged and them hitting the shield charges my phials so I can recharge it. Yeah I'd rather use that for damage but I'd also like to not die.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 23, 2019, 02:22:32 pm »

That's my other weapon, it's pretty fantastic to just sort of not take damage anytime.

I bring the challenger mantle if I've got buddies along so I can just sort of park there and soak up aggro.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 24, 2019, 03:05:55 pm »

Got HR50 so I can fight tempered elders now.  Tempered kirin was pretty easy with a bow, took a lot of potions but I didnt cart.  Teostra whooped my ass though.  With a bow he uses his midrange wombo combo a lot, roaring and then nova blasting while youre still staggered, and tempered its a one-shot without fireproof mantle.  Gonna have to go earplugs or get really good at dodging the roar
Shoes...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 24, 2019, 03:08:43 pm »

Lunastra is the actual Satan and I never want to fight one again :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 24, 2019, 03:26:15 pm »

Lunastra has one attack that basically your only response to is to superman dive for the i-frames, regardless of where you are. It's kinda BS.

Teostra I found way easier, even the tempered version. Other than the exploding dust catching you off guard, and his rise up and explode attack, he gives you ages to deal damage to him versus a monster like Deviljho which both never stops attacking, and rarely stays in the same spot for more than a few seconds.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32