Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49176 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
« Reply #420 on: January 20, 2020, 03:56:58 pm »

Didn't 4U have the best 'story' and even then that was pretty basic? The story's never really been very good, mostly an excuse to fight these absurd monsters.

Sorry. That was a bit of a rant. I'm just... torn. I'm actually enjoying Iceborne a heck of a lot more than I enjoyed base MHW, but I can't help feeling that what they had in the old era of games was magic, and they lost a lot of that magic when they made the (frankly smart in a business sense) decision to appeal to a wider audience. I feel deep down, somewhere in the recesses of my shriveled cynical heart, that what I know as classic Monster Hunter is gone forever, and I'm going to miss it dearly.
I was going to say that there's still MHGen, but then I remember that they added even more anime abilities/moves in that game, so in a way I suppose you're right. The power will just keep creeping via new features like mounting and slingers. Hell even the little stun they added in Iceborne that gives you an opening for the clutch claw is a pretty substantial boost in power. Also it's cool that the monsters will move their heads to look at their target but more times than I can count it's caused me to miss because their head is whipping around to try to look at something behind them. There's other changes I could go into but... don't really feel like it right now and I may have already mentioned them.

E: The best part of MHW and Iceborne is that I can finally play with my friends, and on PC too.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 20, 2020, 04:01:15 pm »

Very interestingly, they've announced (on Twitter) the update schedule for the next few months, and it looks like they're fast-tracking the two title updates on the PC version in February and March to attempt to sync up both versions by April. Then new updates are going to be simultaneous moving forward.

Future updates will include:
New Arch-Tempered and Master Rank versions of existing monsters in April (yayy...)
Return of a fan favourite monster in May
New monsters and updates for June forward

I'm actually very pleased with how much new content we continue to get with this, even if some things feel like they should have been there from the start.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 20, 2020, 04:02:36 pm »

Have they mentioned anything about bugfixes? I still cant turn my camera properly when starting a quest :3
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 20, 2020, 05:03:34 pm »

Arch Tempered hunts struck me as "you're so hardcore you're willing to put up with any amount of nonsense."

Cause that's all it is. Reducing your margin for error to near zero and asking for perfect play. I suppose if you've got 3k hours in to MHW you need that kind of extremism to get off, because 2% margin for error is too much to stay interested.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 20, 2020, 05:56:17 pm »

Arch Tempered hunts struck me as "you're so hardcore you're willing to put up with any amount of nonsense."

Cause that's all it is. Reducing your margin for error to near zero and asking for perfect play. I suppose if you've got 3k hours in to MHW you need that kind of extremism to get off, because 2% margin for error is too much to stay interested.
Alternatively, you could build for massive amounts of defense and healing and reduce it to a regular (albeit painfully long) hunt compared to regular monsters.
Of course, they could pull an arch-tempered Xeno'jiiva and arbitrarily impose a short time limit to force you to use DPS meta and get oneshotted as a result. (Please don't do that, Capcom.)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 20, 2020, 08:13:47 pm »

Turns out I wasn't actually at the final boss yet, I'm actually at Some Fucking Bullshit.

The bullshit wasn't too bad actually, once I figured out where to stand.  The final boss doesn't seem too bad either, just really fucking long.  Lost once, but I think I have his number now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 09:12:04 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 21, 2020, 10:45:20 am »

Alternatively, you could build for massive amounts of defense and healing and reduce it to a regular (albeit painfully long) hunt compared to regular monsters.
Of course, they could pull an arch-tempered Xeno'jiiva and arbitrarily impose a short time limit to force you to use DPS meta and get oneshotted as a result. (Please don't do that, Capcom.)

I was thinking more AT Kirin where, even with tons of Lightning Def and Mantles and what not, the first stun you take is probably your last.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 24, 2020, 05:24:52 am »

Switching to hammer, decided to try something new.  Greatsword in Iceborne kind of feels like a crutch.  It was already really strong in vanilla, but the new moves on top of the hyper-armor shoulder charge pretty much completely negates its traditional weaknesses.  Shoulder bash > leaping slash > slinger burst > true charged slash pretty much lets you move and rotate to any position you want and then go for the TCS, and if the enemy's gonna hit you you can just do it again.

The shoulder charge is definitely the most badass move in MHW though, and KOing a monster when it tries to roar in your face is fun.
Shoes...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 24, 2020, 03:14:02 pm »

Tried to fight

after the defense mission. Went with two close friends. Failed 3 times. I was the only one that did not cart once. Not sure what to do >_>
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 24, 2020, 03:47:41 pm »

I was the only one that did not cart once. Not sure what to do >_>

Sounds to me like you should do it solo.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 24, 2020, 04:15:29 pm »

They bought me the game on the condition we play it together 8 >

They both use ranged weapons.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 24, 2020, 04:54:49 pm »

If it's just a standard knockdown then tell them not to make any inputs until it's safe. While they're on the ground they are invulnerable and they can delay standing up until they've been attacked to no effect.
If it's that attack where the monster is breathing out an ice pool and your hunter trudges through it (a bit like trudging through a Barroth mud pile without rolling) then I can't say I've ever manage to avoid getting hit when trapped in that, not even a lance shield with guard up can block that and AFAIK you can't roll out of it.

Iceblight is pretty devastating for bow users, tell the bow user to bring enough ice resistance to get 20 ice defense (to negate the blight and damage) or slot in some resistor gems to negate the blight itself if they can't get to 20 ice defense. I don't know how bad iceblight is for HBG though, but any weapon that relies on stamina gets hurt bad by iceblight and water blight.

E: I don't know what the sheath times are like on the IG but you could all try bringing lifepowders and dust of life, then when someone's hurt and can't escape an attack you can drop a dust of life to heal them before they get hit. Alternatively bring wide range.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:57:23 pm by Ozyton »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 24, 2020, 05:34:17 pm »

They bought me the game on the condition we play it together 8 >

They both use ranged weapons.

Ozyton has given you some great advice already. Definitely take that advice and make sure that iceblight doesn't gimp the bow user especially.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:35:50 pm by Nighthawk »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 24, 2020, 06:35:43 pm »

That is exactly the kind of advise I was hoping for! Going to bring some of those things to their attention, I don't think they consider those things when making their builds.

Thanks folks!!!!!!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 26, 2020, 08:46:02 am »

Got this to see what's all the big deal about, having grand first impressions. Slime-covered rocks galore, thanks for showing that right in might menu. No, i'm not nostalgic about skyrim. There are fat black lines along the bottom and top of the screen, in windowed mode, what the actual fuck? New game. Here goes about a hour of thoroughly cringeworthy unskippable cutsenes. Lame, kingdom come had whole two, and they were not cringeworthy or unskippable. Cutsenes finished, finally. Ok, pick equipment, take tutorial quest, i'll probably play it later... And then game apparently just assumes that i do a mission in multiplayer and had already connected to someone and vehemently refuses to let me save, save and quit or even just quit itself. Amazing, ctrl+alt+del. Was there an autosave? Yes, of course, in the middle of cutsenes.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:00:11 am by MCreeper »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32