Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49167 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World - Commence the waitening
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 12:27:55 pm »

Yeah, it's a damn shame the PC release is going to be coming so late after the initial launch. Still, I suppose it's a good sign that they're taking their time; that would seem to indicate that they're being careful not to fudge the port.

Or, at least, that's what we're hoping. Capcom does some stupid stuff sometimes...

*coughreleasingstreetfighter5unfinishedcoughnodragon'sdogma2coughnotlocalizingmhxxcough*

Oof, sorry. I caught a cold recently and sometimes I just go into a coughing fit. Anyway, it seems like they're putting a lot of care and planning into this particular game, so I'm willing to be optimistic.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 01:27:37 pm »

Less than 24 hours to launch! I'm getting hype!

Not for people waiting for the PC release.. :(

Or the Switch release... :(
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 02:04:04 pm »

Less than 24 hours to launch! I'm getting hype!

Not for people waiting for the PC release.. :(

Or the Switch release... :(

It's probably not happening, no real reason to.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 02:09:55 pm »

That's the joke.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2018, 03:44:36 pm »

That's the joke.

Half the people I see are serious about it though.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2018, 04:13:02 pm »

To quote Ryozo Tsujimoto during an interview when asked about putting the game on the Switch: "We have no plans at the moment. Switch wasn’t even announced at the time we kicked this game off. At the time, the platforms we could see and have visibility on is PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and they were the perfect fit for our concept of using the cutting edge, current generation consoles."

In short, it ain't happening. Anyone who thinks it might happen is either being painfully optimistic or hasn't been paying attention to the news.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2018, 05:59:29 pm »

Supposedly putting games onto the Switch is relatively easy (compared to, say, the PS3) so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a Switch version sometime in the future with toned down graphics (REALLY toned down). If they are going to do it I doubt we'd see it in at least two years or so. By then I'll have it on PC though, so no worries for me.

As for the PC release, I'm hopeful that the port will be good, considering how decent the port of Dragon's Dogma was. But... I am a little worried if they are just now starting to work on the PC port...

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2018, 06:36:18 pm »

The switch is pretty meh for a "modern gaming experience" like they wanna deliver.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2018, 06:42:34 pm »

The switch is pretty meh for a "modern gaming experience" like they wanna deliver.

Why do you say that? And I DO want to see it come out on Switch. I just know devs have little time and money to do that after a certain stage.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »

It's mostly to do with the power of the system. Even Breath of the Wild, Nintendo's flagship game for the system, seems to struggle on the thing.

In the end it mostly boils down to how profitable Capcom believes putting it on the Switch would be.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 12:54:22 am »

Initial impressions.

Character Creator:
Pro-
Can use neon colors for hair and eyes
Can customize size, shape, and position of tattoos. Though not rotation.
Con-
No breast slider

Intro Scene:
I'm forced to control my character, but can only move along a strict path, and get interrupted by cutscenes every five seconds. It's like a gross mashup of a cinematic and a QTE. Honestly, this is what I think gamer hell must be like. Thankfully it's not terribly long.

Central HUB:
Full of needless stairs that make getting around tedious(edit: once I figured out the quick-travel system, this is not so bad). Also the whole area is super bright, like there are 5 suns or something; it's an eyesore.

My first expedition:
Game crashed halfway through. Upon loading the game back up, I lost all progress from the expedition, but also from the stuff I did in town before the expedition.

Loading screens:
They are long. About a minute of staring at a boring black screen every time.

Day 1 DLC:
It's stuff like hair styles and gestures, which really should have been included with the game purchase. Also it's ridiculously expensive, $1-2 for a single item. Shameless cash-grab.

Voiceovers:
I can understand not wanting to pay for voices for every single NPC line, but I'm disappointed to find that even some of the lines of NPC's commenting with useful information about the fight I'm engaged in are just text on the side of the screen with no actual voice.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:47:38 pm by Folly »

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 01:26:24 am »

Getting my own copy later today, so that'll be fun.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World - Release day!
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 01:39:46 am »

I haven't gotten to try the game myself yet for obvious reasons, but from what I saw of the tutorial in a video a while back it seemed like they were trying to go with something similar to what they did in MH4U where you start the game by 'fighting' an elder dragon (Dah'ren Mohran) to sort of give new players a sense of how awesome the game is going to be. It was more of a movement tutorial than an actual hunt, much like the MH5 video I saw. Compare this with the drawn-out tutorial in 3U where you go on about 5 or 6 gathering quests with all the dialog involved in between before you even see your first large monster, and even then I would argue the entirety of lowrank is a tutorial of sorts in that game. Yes, you still probably go through a few of those gathering quests like before but the difference is that first impression: you immediately know that at some point you're going to be fighting this thing and that drives new players to continue playing.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2018, 07:24:39 am »

I really liked that intro section from mh4u. Greatly made me interested in the genre.

It was way better than the crap intro of mh3.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2018, 01:11:25 pm »

Just waiting to get the download finished here. Can't wait!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32