Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49156 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:33:46 pm »

Official Website (Warning: auto-playing music)
Release dates:
PS4/XboX1: January 26, 2018
PC: August 9th, 2018
Switch: Half-Life 3

Quote from: Official description
Monster Hunter: World puts you in a living, breathing ecosystem as a hunter that seeks and slays ferocious beasts in heart-pounding battles that unfold across the vast ever-changing terrain. Venture on quests alone or cooperatively with up to three hunters via online drop-in multiplayer.
Quote from: Official bullet points
•Welcome to the new world: taking on the role of a Hunter, players are tasked with going on a research expedition to a newly discovered continent known only as “new world”.
•Living and breathing ecosystem: utilize the surrounding environment and wildlife to your advantage.
•Online drop-in multiplayer: when the battle is too daunting to take on single-handedly, hail up to three other hunters to assist during quests by sending up a sos flare to a worldwide server.
•Hunt to craft new Gear: defeat monsters and collect loot from fallen foes to craft equipment and weapons styled after the monsters that have been slain.
SEAMLESS gameplay: players and monsters can move from One map area to another freely and without loading screens whilst gameplay also dynamically transitions between night and day.

Greetings hunters, it's about that time again. A whole new generation of Monster Hunter is upon us and with it brand new entry to the series. Monster Hunter World, the first game in the fifth 'generation' of Monster Hunter games, aims to be the most ambitious entry to the series to-date, yet also has plenty of changes to make some of the more obtuse mechanics easier to understand for newer players. Wow I am really not good at writing these things, so, on with the discussion!

One of the new features in the game is a sort of 'clan' system which is essentially makes it a little bit easier for you to hunt with your friends. You can join multiple squads at a time for convenience. Currently askovdk is running the Bay 12 squad for the Playstation 4 version of the game, simply named 'Bay12' so go ahead and join that and hunt together =)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:19:25 pm by Ozyton »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World - Big game hunting with big swords
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:18 pm »

Early impressions: it's pretty fun (especially with a pal). The changes to the weapons feel well thought out and enjoyable in use. A few points of worry which will hopefully be addressed before the game is fully released:

- Some weapons are markedly more powerful than others. Can't properly test the elemental damage output of the faster weapons, but certain weapons, like Hammer, just seem unnecessarily hard-hitting on moves that aren't even that risky to use.
- Some of Anjanath's hitboxes are silly and need to be cleaned up (I'm looking at you, deadly leg hitboxes).
- Monsters roar pretty often, and roars don't feel as telegraphed as they once were in previous games, which leads to some annoyance.
- Monsters run a LOT. In older games you see a monster move zones maybe twice per hunt if you complete the hunt in decent time. I was consistently experiencing monsters running away four or five times in a single hunt. I understand that this might be intentional so people can utilize more aspects of the environment during their hunt, but considering there's a mantle with the specific purpose of luring monsters to new places, I don't think this is necessary, and it annoyed me more than anything. Double that frustration when facing flying monsters like Rathalos (yes, I did attempt this, though I didn't quite finish him off).

These are pretty small issues in an otherwise enjoyable experience, however. I'm fairly confident things will be more fine-tuned when the game is released.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 08:47:01 pm »

Apparently the thing with the roars is a bug or they tuned down the volume for them during the beta, as they barely make a sound.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 10:14:01 pm »

Did Barroth feel even easier than before to anyone? Probably tuned him down for the demo but I felt like Barroth was a joke.

And the environment weapons like para frogs, vine drops, the waterfall etc they feel great to use, if very situational. Though dropping a waterfall on Rathalos before he notices you is sure fun.  :P
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:18:06 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:33:14 pm »

- Monsters run a LOT. In older games you see a monster move zones maybe twice per hunt if you complete the hunt in decent time. I was consistently experiencing monsters running away four or five times in a single hunt. I understand that this might be intentional so people can utilize more aspects of the environment during their hunt, but considering there's a mantle with the specific purpose of luring monsters to new places, I don't think this is necessary, and it annoyed me more than anything. Double that frustration when facing flying monsters like Rathalos (yes, I did attempt this, though I didn't quite finish him off).

I wouldn't be surprised if the constant running is just a Beta thing, along with the shortened time limits and (possible) difficulty reduction. The hunt is shorter than normal and they probably wanted to show off the environment and various interactions, so they made them run around more than usual to give you a full "tour" before time ran out... That's my guess, anyway.

My first impressions were that it feels like Monster Hunter but different... A long-overdue "next-gen" overhaul, I suppose. It won't really feel like a true MonHun until I get to do some mushroom-collecting and craft some kelbi pants, though, so I found the demo a bit lacking. :P

I can't really comment on most of the weapon changes, since I've mained SnS exclusively since the PS2 days... So my impression is "SnS feels great and very similar to 4U but smoother" and "everything else is still inferior". :P

I already commented on a lot of stuff that I really liked in the other topic. It's not all good, though... As far as I can tell, it looks like kicking has been removed. How will I express my triumph over my slain enemies if I can't kick their corpse repeatedly in the head during the post-quest countdown? This is terrible.

Anyway, apparently some people have seen an extra monster (Pukei-Pukei?) spawn in place of Rathalos in the third mission, but nobody seems to know how to trigger it. If you haven't encountered it yet, time's running out!

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:47:28 pm »

One of the things I worried about while playing through Generations, and even to an extent 4Ultimate, was power creep for the player. Every generation it seems the player becomes more powerful, gets more tools to fight monsters with ranging from mounting to hunting arts to things like the slinger which lets you re-mount monsters that knock you off... the list goes on. It's never really been a glaring issue but they're really pushing the limits in terms of giving the player ways to make fights more trivial. Hell, even less "clunky" movement could be considered giving the player more power. By less 'clunky' I mean you seem to get animation locked a lot less than in previous games, just going by videos I've seen.

As for weapons being overpowered, it always seems that there's always going to be an 'optimal' or 'overpowered' weapon in these games. I remember charge blade being popular in 4u because of how stupidly powerful it was, while I only remember seeing someone use a hammer on a handful of occasions. Hell, one time I picked up a charge blade, not knowing what I was doing, and beating some monsters faster than the weapon I primarily used for hours. Thankfully it's very rare that a weapon will become so weak that it's completely unusable, but you will definitely be seeing people going around using the 'meta' weapons and the 'meta' armor, whichever those happen to be this time around.

Barroth being easy? Well, it's entirely possible that 1: Like I mentioned above there's so many new ways to deal with monsters that weren't available in 3 it could be seen as easier, or 2: you have gotten significantly better at the game since the last time you fought a Barroth.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 11:30:08 pm »

It's basically confirmed that the beta has weakened monsters.

Also the current beta is actually an older version compared to what some Youtubers are playing on right now. It explains the jarring discrepancy between performance as well as why their roars sound better and so on.

---------

Edit: The power of the new charge blade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5jD5_fyiAc

This guy just cleared all three monsters in the forest in 13 minutes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 12:38:48 am »

I played through the beta on PS4. Solo'd the first mission. Ran out of time on the second, though the poor dino was maimed with pieces of tail and armor all of the place and must have been close. Jumped in multiplayer and cleared the second and third missions without issue...though getting matchmaking to work took about an hour each time. I'm assuming the online stuff will be smoothed out in final release.

I spent the whole time using feather blade; flipping through the air and raining death from above, then sending swarms of beetles to suck out those sweet dino juices and bring them back for me to devour. Okay, it sounds kind of weird now that I think about it...but it was fun just the same. I'm pretty well sold on the game.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 01:06:10 am »

Is it just me or does rathalos look even bulkier??

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 02:51:49 pm »

Did Barroth feel even easier than before to anyone? Probably tuned him down for the demo but I felt like Barroth was a joke.

And the environment weapons like para frogs, vine drops, the waterfall etc they feel great to use, if very situational. Though dropping a waterfall on Rathalos before he notices you is sure fun.  :P
I felt the same way about Barroth, and judging from the fact that my brother (who has NEVER played a Monster Hunter game before) easily beat him on his first attempt, I would say that yes, he's been toned down. I think it's a combination of more forgiving hitboxes and a much more dramatically telegraphed charge (I seem to remember Barroth's charge coming out much faster in Tri). Also... I never saw him tail spin. Not even once. Which is spooky, because I remember Barroth doing tailspins often.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 05:11:01 pm »

I imagine some moves got left out for the beta to keep a surprise or two for people who mastered fighting crap before the game's actual release.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 10:25:18 pm »

Barroth was easier?  Damn, I found him to be the hardest.

The only Monster Hunter I've ever played was like, the very first one on PS2, and I uh never actually made it to the actual big stuff or anything, so basically that doesn't really count, I guess.  I thought this one was one was fun.  I basically only used the heavy bowgun with the shield and the machine gun special ammo, though - tried them all out in the practice mode, but only took that Greatsword out on an actual hunt (against Barroth).

I enjoyed it, though I didn't try multiplayer.

First hunt was easy, as advertised.  I managed to get 'em despite not noticing you could run and not realizing circle reloads your special ammo, so I kept doing poorly with my HBG.

Second hunt didn't go quite as well - I rolled with the GS instead, and I was kinda unused to getting my licks in with it.  Barroth kept running around and I kept going for big heavy whacks and such.  Second time around I picked my HBG back up, but something exploded out of the ground and instalkilled me while I was fighting.  It was some kinda huge wyvern, and it proceeded to totally kill me two more times and chase me across the map while I was trying to put Barroth down.  Timed out again.  Third time was the charm - the big gross mud thing took offense to my existence once I got Barroth down to the watery area, but I managed to shoot it to death that time.

Third was pretty easy again.  I had to do it twice though, on account of spending like ten minutes unable to find any tracks the first time.

I heard that the HBG is about big ranged damage, but I felt like I was really doing plinky-damage the whole time.  Barroth was understandable, since it was like, two-thirds of it was armor, but I was doing 5 against the others, and that was with the attack charm on.  I guess balance with being able to stay far away?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 10:59:01 pm »

I didn't pay attention to the numbers ever, will be one of the things I turn off immediately, but feels like you were outside of critical range.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32