Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49821 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World - PC release Aug 9th!
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2018, 11:19:02 am »

How's the difficulty in World? I've heard it's easier than MH4U which I'm accustomed to, but if it's so much easier that I can breeze through it then I might not bother spending $60 on it
Any MH without G-rank is going to be easier than MH4U by default. Including this one.

I'm loving the shit out of it though.
To be more specific, how difficult is it to kill a monster in High Rank MHW compared to High Rank MH4U? :P

I'd venture to say a good bit easier. The combination of faster sheathe times and the ability to heal while moving makes popping a potional basically unpunishable. If you get carted, it'll be because you were careless and didn't heal, or you got A) oneshotted, B) stunned, or C) paralyzed.

The difficulty ramps up with the later monsters, though, especially the ones they add through free DLC. Lunastra was quite a hurdle for me and my friends, even though we didn't have much difficulty with Teostra and the other elder dragons.

Ah, the good ol rathy. My fav animal in the whole series, next to the tigrex and rathalos.

Maybe the quests scale in hardness based on number of players present too?

The quests do scale based on number of players, but due to this I don't think you can solo "online" quests anymore.
The quests in World have very simple scaling: you're either fighting a singleplayer monster, or a multiplayer one (which is entirely dependent on whether or not a second player joined you at ANY point during a quest). Singleplayer monsters get stunned and staggered more easily, and have less HP. Multiplayer monsters have their HP and stun/stagger resistances multiplied (by something around 2.5x to 3x). I'm not certain about other statuses like poison and paralysis scaling up, as I haven't tested it myself.

Basically, if you're playing multiplayer, you're probably going to want three or four people. 2-man multiplayer can become a drag due to the scaling.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 11:22:46 am by Nighthawk »

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2018, 12:30:19 pm »

They've also recently added "Arch-Tempered" monsters as event quests in the console versions, which are extremely difficult compared to everything else the game, so if you find things too easy there's at least that to eventually look forward to.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2018, 02:39:33 pm »

So I've played it a lot since it came out yesterday and thought I'd write down my impressions from a previous non-MH player. I played a tiny bit of a NDS one, but only a little bit and didn't really get into it so I'm basically completely new to it (but do play a lot of dark souls type games).

So far I think it's great fun, I really like the crafting aspect and it's a nice mix between guided stuff and open world stuff. The combat is really fun, and there's so much choice and ability to develop stuff. Most of all though, it feels like a game driven by your skill rather than number rolls and behind the scenes dice - I can imagine getting really, really hooked on getting good at it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who's into 'learning' a game rather than just smashing through level after level. The story is ok (more below) and the graphics/atmosphere is good.

Observations/potential downsides:
- It's quite 'Japanese-y' in parts; that's in no way an objectively bad thing, but it's got a lot of 'anime' moments and as I'm not a big weeb I find it a bit grating at times. Some of the systems are a bit difficult to understand/different to what you might be used to as well. Not a bad thing, just the level of cringe/grating (or if you love that side of it) will depend on your enjoyment/tolerance for it.

- The combat is fun, but often you don't feel the hits 'connect' like in say DS or similar. It doesn't feel completely weightless, just that it doesn't quite have the crunch you might be expecting.

- You need to take the time to get into it - it's basically an MMORPG (you even have daily login rewards!) rather than a story RPG. Not a bad thing, but a friend of mine thought it'd basically be 'Japanese Witcher but with more hunting' whereas it's more like warframe but with hunting instead.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2018, 03:52:51 pm »

So I'm playing this and having fun, first Monster Hunter game I've owned. Just got done with the Bannoth quest. If anyone else wants to play you can find a link to my Steam and the Discord I hang out in in my signature.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2018, 11:19:26 pm »

- The combat is fun, but often you don't feel the hits 'connect' like in say DS or similar. It doesn't feel completely weightless, just that it doesn't quite have the crunch you might be expecting.

Uhhhhhh.

Hitstop would like to have a word with you.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2018, 11:31:30 pm »

Uhhhhhh.

Yeah, I dunno what weapon he's using. If you wanna feel the pain, you gotta bring the GS, the Hammer, Hunting Horn, or the Chargeblade.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 11, 2018, 01:06:17 am »

Switchaxe is pretty great. Elemental discharge when close enough and the monster down has you actually jump on the thing and stab it with the sword, then blow it up. Hitstop isn't as extreme as GS or Hammer, but you do feel it.
You're actually guaranteed the "mounting" elemental discharge so long as your swaxe is in the amped state; when the colored highlight around your resource meter is full and your switchaxe is glowing violently, you're amped. The swaxe also does extra phial effect on sword-mode hits while amped, which is neato.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 11, 2018, 01:50:30 am »

One thing I will say though is the hitboxes in this one are just ridiculously bad. I'm talking almost Monster Hunter 1 levels of bad, things are hitting when nowhere near the mark. This is annoying when you try to hit some monster parts because other parts intercept the hit first despite your weapon being a good 2 meters away from them sometimes.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 11, 2018, 05:38:10 am »

Uhhhhhh.

Yeah, I dunno what weapon he's using. If you wanna feel the pain, you gotta bring the GS, the Hammer, Hunting Horn, or the Chargeblade.

I mostly use long swords, but I've played around with the hammer and chargeblade - some hits do seem to connect well, but others seem to just sort of glide through them. Mostly it's on tails/similar and when doing combos.

None of it is bad or really detracts from the experience, just that it's not quite as...precise? as it looked in trailers.   
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 11, 2018, 06:27:14 pm »

The major drawback of switch axe is that you can still be hit by attacks and knocked off while mounted. On bigger, higher tier enemies who use wide-sweeping attacks more often, bringing a switch axe is a death sentence.

Against smaller monsters it can be a lot of fun though. Particularly if you build a paralyzing switch axe against an enemy vulnerable to paralyze, you can literally just stunlock some bosses to death.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 11, 2018, 09:25:09 pm »

I definitely recommend the Legiana 4-set if you're going with a bow. It adds an extra level to your combos, roughly doubling your overall damage output. Add an eyepatch as your last armor piece for massive damage when nailing those weak points.

This setup is particularly amazing against Diablos, whose wings are just massive weak points that are vulnerable to bows. His charges are also super easy to avoid with the bow's dodge move.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2018, 10:17:21 pm »

Uhhhhhh.

I mostly use long swords, but I've played around with the hammer and chargeblade - some hits do seem to connect well, but others seem to just sort of glide through them. Mostly it's on tails/similar and when doing combos.

None of it is bad or really detracts from the experience, just that it's not quite as...precise? as it looked in trailers.
Longsword doesn't have a lot of hitstop, except maybe on the spirit finisher (spam right trigger until your combo ends). It does have a little on basic attacks, though.

Also, you'll get basically no hitstop ever if you hit a part of the monster that is resistant to damage (gray numbers rather than orange). The hitstop is there to tell you when you're hitting where you should.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2018, 05:49:18 pm »

Well, all my performance issues with MHW have been fixed by this little gem https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/3/1745594817439431537/

The guy being the FAR mod for Nier Automata which fixed the horrible performance issues the devs didn't bother with is working on fixing MHW now. Amongst other things the devs were so ignorant when it came to all things PC that they entirely failed at thread priorities. Things that were supposed to be low priority were high and high ones were low, along with the highest priority of some threads simply being set to the highest possible, which was locking up my PC.

The tool fixed my issues and improved performance for my roommate.

It's easy to hate on Denuvo and blame it for the game's performance, but turns out it was just incompetent devs.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 17, 2018, 03:21:06 pm »

Damn. Nergigante is a b!tch. It was my first failed quest and I've failed it 3 times now. he hits so hard even with guard+5 and guard up a ton of damage gets through a lance powerguard. His 3-hit combo air dive basically kills me from full health if I block.

Not too sure what to do about it. Too many attacks leak way too much damage through guard in my opinion. If you invest in guard+5 and guard Up, at the very least a lance powerguard should block it all, not make you lose 25%+ of your health. Lance used to be able to entirely block hits as long as you had the stamina. I like the rest of the lance changes, but the massive guard nerf basically ruins guard-lancing.

Edit: Turns out that for some reason, the powerguard lets MORE damage through than a standard guard. My 4th attempt was still intense but went pretty well since I knew his moves by then and blocking his slam combo with normal guard only took off a little over a mega potion's worth of HP instead of killing me. Leaky guard with all that skill investment still sucks though :/
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:34:14 pm by Ygdrad »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2018, 04:38:29 pm »

I failed my first Nergigante quest too, embarrassingly. I'm not sure what caused my first 2 carts, but my third was I was trying to do an advancing guard but I hit the wrong button and did a forward hope right into one of his attacks. This was when I was still using the high rank chainmail armor. After I went and got some Uragaan armor it wasn't so bad. Think I still had Guard+4 when I fought him. Afterwards I tried doing SOSes with randoms but they kept carting so I just did it myself again in less time than an SOS.

Are you going into the battle with 150 health? If not that might be why it seems you're taking all that damage. Eat for defense up L (6 fish ingredients) and then use a max potion. Start cultivating the items to make max potions at the ancient tree so you don't have to worry about gathering all those items. Putting a fertilizer on top of an active one increases its lifespan and how many items you get per harvest.

EDIT: If we figure out how I could try joining you to help, but it'll probably just make his health pool larger. I'm not very far into the game so I probably wouldn't be carrying you, but I'd give him something else to aim at.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:42:25 pm by Ozyton »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32