Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49153 times)

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
« Reply #405 on: January 14, 2020, 03:49:34 pm »

Tigrex is a monster where weapon matchup makes a pretty big difference. Taking a guard-centric weapon like charge blade or lance makes the whole fight a lot simpler, as your game plan changes from "chase him around all day" to "stand my ground and calmly counter all of his extremely straightforward attacks."

Also, what in the world is the fighter/mage/rogue trio? I have never heard that terminology applied to Monster Hunter in any context and I'm quite confused.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 14, 2020, 03:53:00 pm »

So one thing I noticed yesterday is that a few of my graphics settings seem to have reset since Iceborne released. If you were struggling to run the game with the ambient fog enabled then go back into the settings and turn it back off. I also play with FPS capped at 60 since my computer isn't powerful enough to get to 120FPS at 2560x1440 anyways, and when I suggested this setting to a friend he commented that his CPU usage went down about 20%. Note that you should keep vertical sync disabled unless you enjoy the input lag.

In terms of monsters I can't help but noticed they changed how the fighter/mage/rogue trio fight. I seem to remember Barioth doing shoulder slams a lot more in 3U. I also remember Tigrex having a roar attack that wasn't a radial stun roar like a normal roar but instead a targeted air blast of sorts, but I don't think he does that anymore?

He does have that, actually. It's a radial stun, but if you're standing directly in front of him you can take damage/be staggered.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 14, 2020, 03:58:33 pm »

Also, what in the world is the fighter/mage/rogue trio? I have never heard that terminology applied to Monster Hunter in any context and I'm quite confused.
Tigrex the 'fighter', Barioth the 'mage', Nargacuga the 'rogue'.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 14, 2020, 04:20:15 pm »

Nargacuga doesn't turn invis anymore tho. Just sort of romps about with no armor whatsoever and gets stomped.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 14, 2020, 04:30:11 pm »

I thought it was the Lucent Nargacuga that turned invisible?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 14, 2020, 04:50:25 pm »

Yeah but that's the only interesting version of the thing IMO.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 15, 2020, 04:03:53 pm »

Upgraded my gear and beat barioth, breaking the claws goes a long way.  Beat the subsequent monsters too, next is tigrex.  Very happy with master rank difficulty, while ive only 3carted twice, to barioth and coral pukei pukei (forgot my armor had -6 water res), the monsters in master really make you work for it.  Theyre very aggressive with high damage and big attacks, with greatsword every point of damage feels earned.

Fighting brachydios, i was down to last cart with no mantles, chased it limping and when i thought it'd sleep instead it turned around and enraged, was sure I'd lost when my palico dropped a flash cage, shot it with slinger and barely managed to pull off a final charged shot for the kill, we alley-ooped him
Shoes...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 20, 2020, 04:18:58 am »

I just beat behemoth proper for the first time!  And I did it as the tank!  I'm so happy! (as in noone just exploited the endless mount AI that keeps him from doing the majority of the dangerous crap)

....I...may or may not have been in master rank gear... but the rest of the party was high rank and in my experience the rest of the party is usually the problem anyway. :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 20, 2020, 09:22:19 am »

Endgame greatsword build only needs the hands, which I thankfully already had.  I will never even look at that thing again.  By far the worst thing in monster hunter, and trying to get the overpowered gear in HR almost killed the game dor me.  Ive never killed it, don't want to.

In IB, I'll be doing the final boss tonight.  Still happy with the difficulty, though it's getting easier.  Shoulder tackle made greatsword much more mobile and aggressive, and the new slinger move makes you extremely spicy, sliding around the monster constantly and getting a TCS the instant its out of position. 
Shoes...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 20, 2020, 01:18:38 pm »

Insect glaive got supa good, which I believe more and more firmly the more I play it.

It has a dragoon-style jump dive that hits hard and marks the target for bug, as well as a grapple claw attack that you just get to use mid-air as a melee attack. Also some of the new elemental glaives are NUTS, running with 500+ in an element, easy. Fulgar Anjanath gets utterly wrecked by an ice glaive with 500 ice on it let me tell you hwat.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 20, 2020, 02:53:55 pm »

Wondering what theyll do with arch tempered.  A lot of the challenge in monster hunter was kind of baked into the limitations of the game, but this one's so smooth and slick and there's so many tools now, how the fuck do you make a challenge for the current breed of endgame MR players with rocksteady and temporal and clutch claw and speed eater and wide area and all the new iceborne moves

Even on greatsword I can basically stick to the monster indefinitely without sheathing as long as it doesnt fly, armoring all its attacks and getting instant TCS if it stops attacking for more than 2 or 3 seconds, and I'm not even good.

A little worried who they'll favor.   The only way to challenge the big boys is with bullshit like behemoth and arch tempered nergigante, and even then people will be speedrunning it within 10 hours of release.  Would rather we see stuff more geared to normal players.

Because for a normal person MR difficulty is pretty fun, not insanely hard but you feel the pressure, low margin for error.  Only serious wall so far has been MR kirin.  I played it to two deaths and said fuck it, its like trying to bite a porcupine.  Crit draw is apparently the way to go with greatsword
Shoes...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 20, 2020, 03:25:59 pm »

I don't have high hopes for arch tempered monsters. They were mostly a pain in HR and they'll probably be a pain in MR. Being a player who started with Tri and really got into the series with 4U, I'm still not used to abusing mantles every few minutes and I don't want to be forced to use them because I feel they're a relatively braindead mechanic; put on mantle, reap benefits for however long they last. It feels cheap, and certain mantles can outright trivialize certain monsters (Teostra is already pretty simple and he becomes a joke if you just put on a fireproof mantle).

Mantles were a mistake, I guess? Then again, that's my opinion on a lot of the new stuff outside of the QoL improvements, if I'm being perfectly honest. As much as I'm enjoying Iceborne a part of me still wants to go back to the good old days where combat was more deliberately paced and weapons were a little clunkier. I'm tired of whiffing Greatsword slashes because a monster's amazing smooth and realistic animation moved its tail slightly to the right just as my weapon was about to connect. I'm tired of feeling like I'm obligated to play MHW right now or else miss the currently available event quests. I'm tired of lengthy unskippable cutscenes putting side characters front and center like I'm supposed to care about them when the writing is as simplistic as it's ever been and they're all as flat as cardboard cutouts.

Sorry. That was a bit of a rant. I'm just... torn. I'm actually enjoying Iceborne a heck of a lot more than I enjoyed base MHW, but I can't help feeling that what they had in the old era of games was magic, and they lost a lot of that magic when they made the (frankly smart in a business sense) decision to appeal to a wider audience. I feel deep down, somewhere in the recesses of my shriveled cynical heart, that what I know as classic Monster Hunter is gone forever, and I'm going to miss it dearly.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 20, 2020, 03:38:48 pm »

I find mocking the dialogue and story in real time with friends in discord to be great fun.

They clearly want to set these people up as some kind of naturalist/scientist group. All they actually do though is flip the fuck out any time anything changes, then proceed to violently remove every apex predator from the ecosystem in a 500 mile radius from themselves. Then it turns out that the crisis is just some kind of naturally-occurring phenomenon that happens every 100 years or whatnot and everyone congratulates themselves on permanently altering the fabric of nature for no reason.

It's like if real natural scientists were only allowed a single tool for examining the subject of their study, and also that tool is sticks of dynamite.

Ninja Addition: Teostra and Lunastra are crimes against gaming. I am so bad at fighting them hate them. If they came out with something that just one-shot them both for free I would use it while cackling.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:40:45 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 20, 2020, 03:45:19 pm »

The storyline is real bad and occasionally doesnt make sense, but it's fun just for watching these characters try to be serious and have arcs while there's this little cat bumbling around, pretending to participate.

Mine is really fucking cute too, which makes it impossible to pay attention to the story.

I gave it blackveil vaal hazak body and no helmet so its just this floating ghost cloak with a little cat head sticking out
Shoes...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 20, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »

Yeah I had mine in the huge-ass blonde curly wig for a long time it made every cutscene amazing.

I approach it with a "Roast the B Movie" sort of mindset and it makes it great fun.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 32