Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 49837 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
« Reply #435 on: January 26, 2020, 10:57:03 am »

That sounds pretty bad. I don't remember in the previous games if the cutscenes were unskippable but it is a bit of a problem in this game especially when trying to play with friends. At least you can skip them after watching them for the first time. The way they REALLY want to force you to play online is a bit of an issue, there isn't even a pause function anymore. The only reason not to include that feature is because the time in the world is tied to real time to an extent, but it still sucks.

When you're in a mission you can choose 'return from quest' to go back to the hub so you can save. After selecting your character you should choose 'create online session' and make sure 'private' or 'only friend can join' is enabled, it's the closest thing to playing solo. I save fairly often when I'm at the hub, probably more than I need to, but it's a good habit since the PC release isn't quite as stable as consoles from what I've been told.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 27, 2020, 01:51:48 pm »

I will say this game is 100% meant to be played with other people. 110%, even. Playing it solo would be like playing an MMO solo from start to finish. If that's your thing, fine, go for it, but it is not how most people would enjoy it.

Anyway I discovered light bowgun this week. Did you know the Wyverncounter mine will stop a rolling Urugaan in it's goddam tracks? I know this now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 27, 2020, 02:09:42 pm »

I dunno, I definitely take issue with that statement. Playing with other people is definitely easier and a lot of fun, but my policy across all Monster Hunters has always been to solo content first before doing any of it in multiplayer. I didn't even do any multiplayer in Iceborne until well into the postgame.

I find soloing more fun for encountering/learning new monsters for the first time, and then multiplayer for (at least some of) the grind. The game is balanced equally well for both, with a few exceptions (Behemoth, Kulve, Arena mode, etc...). As someone who has also solo'd MMOs in the past, I can vouch for it not really being comparable at all. :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 27, 2020, 02:32:56 pm »

I agree with Dekafu. I played the 95% of the entire game - Iceborne solo and I loved it. It's challenging. It's challenging and gripping the way Dark Souls played solo is. There's a stiff challenge and you only have yourself to rely on. Granted, that's not everyone's cup of tea. But MHW is completely fine solo if you're of the mind for it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 27, 2020, 02:48:15 pm »

If you have a good grasp of your weapon's moves and the monster's attack patterns, singleplayer can actually be a smoother (potentially easier) experience than multiplayer in a lot of ways. You know the monster will be focusing on you most of the time (cats might take aggro occasionally), which means you can react accordingly to counter it more often. Your DPS will be much more consistent because you spend less time running after the monster when it's chasing someone else, and more time, y'know, hitting it.

In my experience, multiplayer is only easier because there are more people to divide the aggro, which means more time to down a healing potion (or a dust of life to help your buddies if necessary). It becomes faster than solo play only when everybody is playing very well and/or you have a game plan for how to lock down the monster.

If you want to experience the peak of easy multiplayer, party with a group of skilled players all using the Lance. It's hilarious just how trivial the monster's attempts to damage you are when everyone is camping in one spot ready to counter-thrust every little attack it throws out.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 27, 2020, 02:56:30 pm »

Guess I'm the minority here XD

I really don't enjoy solo as much as multi in this. I did solo entire MH games in the past, but world just feels so play-with-a-buddy oriented to me.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 27, 2020, 03:15:06 pm »

I feel the entirety of Low Rank i mostly a solo experience (or at least the 'village quests' from the older games) while high rank and up are more for multiplayer. 'low rank' is your extended tutorial that also acts as a barrier to enter into multiplayer so you at least know how to play and aren't having teammates completely carry you.

I do find multiplayer more enjoyable, but in PUG it's a similar experience to Warframe PUG where you don't really have much direct interaction with the other played unless they are tripping or launching you. Playing with friends is definitely the superior experience, at least for me. I played through both MHW and Iceborne solo because my friends just weren't as interested in the game as I am. I've played through the game roughly 5 times now  one by one they decide to pick the game up, and there's still a few ho haven't even beaten the final boss of Iceborne yet.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 27, 2020, 04:26:55 pm »

Guess I'm the minority here XD

I really don't enjoy solo as much as multi in this. I did solo entire MH games in the past, but world just feels so play-with-a-buddy oriented to me.
Sorry, I might have communicated poorly, there. I almost exclusively play MH (all of the games I've played) with at least one other friend. While I do feel that singleplayer MHW is easier in a lot of ways, I absolutely endorse playing with buddies with voice chat or in the same room if possible. The game starts to feel really good in multiplayer when you communicate what you're doing to your teammates. Even things as simple as saying, "Extending," to indicate that you're extending a clutch claw stagger (the new special stagger they added in Iceborne) by grabbing the monster will make your friend(s) aware that they can sneak in more damage while the monster is reeling. If you're a gunner, it's also a good idea to tell your pals when you're loading paralysis ammunition or the like so they know to stick close and be ready to inflict maximum damage.

There's nothing quite like having a dedicated hunting buddy, that's for sure.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 27, 2020, 04:33:30 pm »

See yeah, I have at least 2, often 3 dedicated buddies. The teamwork is real.

Last night we had a friend of one of these buddies get in trouble fighting Brachydios. They were trying to solo and hit the 45m mark. We had JUST finished a fight, but 3 of us suited up, chugged some food from Babushkat, and ran out to save her. We showed up and coordinated for one of each of us to claw stagger, deploy trap, and tranq with like no time left on the clock.

Felt like goddam navy seals.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 14, 2020, 09:19:31 am »

Lol

The best part is when they abandon their guns for actual in game weapons with magical powers. And of course it stars Milla Jovovich, Queen of video game movie adaptations.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #445 on: October 14, 2020, 09:30:49 am »

Well it's not like their guns were doing much good.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 14, 2020, 12:31:34 pm »

I have been trying my hardest to forget the "Monster Hunter" movie even existed, but thanks for the reminder I suppose?

I know why they don't just make a proper Monster Hunter movie, it just saddens me that they aren't.

At the very least they have actual Hunters in the Monster Hunter movie, so that's a pleasant surprise.

So about Iceborne. After months of procrastination I've finally got my end game equipment set up to fight the final few elder dragons, being MRKT, Safii, Alatreon, and maybe even Fatalis (unlikely). Now it's just a matter of trying to pull my friends into playing the game so I can do those hunts. I guess I could do PUGs, I just feel really bad when I'll inevitably cart.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 14, 2020, 12:37:12 pm »

I'm about ready to start those fights too. Just got back into it.

My game time is like 12AM tho lol

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 15, 2020, 08:09:11 pm »

Paul WS Anderson is a plague.  A few parts of the resident evil movies are so bizarre they're funny, like the wesker fight, but overall not worth watching. 

I can see what a monster hunter movie should've been in my head.  Start in the monster hunter universe.  Monsters have been disappearing and they've sent a hunter to track one (probably the ultimate antagonist monster, a legendary or just a flagship big boy like rathalos or diablos) and find out why.  He finds a portal deep in the jungle and sees his quarry go through.  While he's investigating, another monster shows up and attacks him, and they both go through the portal, ending up in medieval england.  With the countryside being ravaged by monsters, he's gotta teach the britons how to monster hunt if he wants to get back home and close the portal.  At the end he finds he can't get home, but that's okay because he's come to love this place and its people.  Maybe at the end find out that he's saint george the dragonslayer, for maximum schlock.

And there you go, you've got monster hunter without guns, you've got a natural way to introduce randos to how the world works with the protagonist teaching the kings men how to kill and craft, and a silly schlocky script in keeping with shit like Sonic and Detective Pikachu.  And then for the fans there's plenty of room for fish out of water jokes about monster hunter people.  He slays the monster attacking the village, the lord throws him a feast, when they unveil the table laden with beer, all kinds of food, a roast boar, he's like "wow is that all for me?"  Flat comedy shot of the lord and his people laughing, then hard cut to them looking aghast as the protagonist eats half the feast in like ten minutes.  The monster flies off a cliff, everyone's like "how do we get down there?" and then the protagonist runs past them and just jumps the fuck off, lands completely unharmed, looks up at them like what are you waiting for.  In the training montage have him swinging a greatsword around, he sets it down and three or four soldiers try and fail to pick it up.
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 15, 2020, 09:17:24 pm »

Ok, but if there isn't a hammer user sharpening their weapon, a hunting horn guy hiding behind a rock away from the fight playing buff music, or someone stopping in the middle of a hunt to cook a well done steak with a disembodies lady voice saying 'Mm, so tasty!', then is it really a Monster Hunter movie?

Sadly I suspect they never would have gotten the go-ahead to make an 'actual' monster hunter movie, or even something like what you described as a nice middle ground. I don't really know much about how the movie industry works but Hollywood probably gets some kind of benefit for throwing the US military in the movie in some way.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32