Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A LOT of suggestions!  (Read 5203 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: A LOT of suggestions!
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 02:47:03 am »

That's pretty much the reason. Also, for both better graphics and multiplayer:

a) Toady is not interested in either.

b) Either would take years to implement.

c) Either would lag like hell.

Neither is worth it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:50:52 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2018, 04:17:58 pm »

I actually enjoy the sneering elitism. Hell, I look down on graphics pack users. Look at those filthy peasants, how low and simple they are. It must be a blessing to have so little to worry about, and so little to worry with! Man, sometimes it hurts my neck, holding up my enormous brain, not to mention the strain on my hips from hoisting my pendulous manhood (because I don't use tilesets) aloft.

Seriously though, the game itself filters out people unwilling to make the effort, and that's the biggest issue - users who make the effort, do the research and consider their contributions will always be preferable to a great horde of, for lack of a better word, casuals.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2018, 11:57:14 pm »

Seriously though, the game itself filters out people unwilling to make the effort, and that's the biggest issue - users who make the effort, do the research and consider their contributions will always be preferable to a great horde of, for lack of a better word, casuals.
Exactly. I would not want the forums flooded with "HOW 2 I MAKE MY DWARVEVWES DIG!?!?!??!?!?".

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 08:59:56 am »

The question to ask if this a passion-project by Toady because games geared towards the wider audience was lacking something, for example depth or intellectual challenges or whatever else that could alienate "casuals" .. or is Toady doing this to make money?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 09:30:02 am »

Toady is doing it for the art. Donations just speed things along.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2018, 12:35:22 pm »

back to the suggestions
I really think toady should fix the path finding, I am really tired of having my mason taking the boulder nearest to HIM instead of the boulder nearest the workshop
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:54:15 pm by ☼FUN☼ »
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 05:53:33 pm »

back to the suggestions
I really think toady should fix the path finding, I am really tired of having my mason taking the boulder nearest to HIM instead of the boulder nearest the workshop
That would be a wasted effort. He's getting rid of workshops in favor of zones. From there, it's as simple as prioritizing the materials inside.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 08:14:02 pm »

back to the suggestions
That would be a wasted effort. He's getting rid of workshops in favor of zones. From there, it's as simple as prioritizing the materials inside.
wha?! Is that so? I didn't knew that
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2018, 08:22:09 pm »

back to the suggestions
wha?! Is that so? I didn't knew that
Information on development is all over the place, but yeah, this is mentioned fairly regularly.

Seems like it'll be a big save-breaking change, so either with Mythgen or later with Starting Scenarios (thematically, the latter kind of fits better I suppose as with the bigger space available you'd probably get teams working in worshop zones, perhaps apprentices too).

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2018, 10:47:39 pm »

Suggestion:
- in the gamelog write "X asked to be a <monster hunter / entertainer> here, request was approved".
- in the gamelog write "We traded X worth of goods to <civ> caravan and got Y worth of items."
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 07:50:08 pm »

He's getting rid of workshops in favor of zones.
I'm giddy with anticipation of workshops becoming zones instead of buildings...  :D

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 10:33:16 pm »

I'm giddy with anticipation of workshops becoming zones instead of buildings...  :D
A tantrum can't destroy a ZONE...  .. .. can it? :-P
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 10:35:07 pm »

Seems like it'll be a big save-breaking change, so either with Mythgen or later with Starting Scenarios (thematically, the latter kind of fits better I suppose as with the bigger space available you'd probably get teams working in worshop zones, perhaps apprentices too).
It could end up being with the Economy, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 10:40:04 pm »

It could end up being with the Economy, though.
And just to finish up...Moving Fortress Parts would be a fair place to add them in too, what with all the redesign of fortress bits and pieces.

So, sometime in the next 20 years, almost certainly after a major save-breaking release.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 10:57:41 pm »

A tantrum can't destroy a ZONE...  .. .. can it? :-P
But it can destroy the objects inside the zone.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4