Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: A LOT of suggestions!  (Read 5194 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A LOT of suggestions!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 11:19:22 pm »

Two suggestions:
The largest benefit I have seen happen with other games which add multiplayer is a massive increase in custom mods for new game content.

Within the last five years I have seen a massive increase in the number of games which are clones of dwarf fortress, but with better graphics. I am sure 99% of us will agree Dwarf Fortress is superior to MineCraft... so slightly better graphics would allow this game to explode in popularity.
What are you talking about?
Dwarf Fortress is superior in EVERYTHING!! especially graphics...
I wish that was true... because then Dwarf Fortress gaming community would be closer to the size of the MineCraft gaming community.  We all agree Dwarf Fortress is the better game... so what's holding it back from exploding with popularity?   Easy way to find the answer... find 10 gamers or more which haven't played the game and after two hours(if they last that long)... ask them "what would improve the game?"   With my testing of co-workers, family and friends....  the top three answers were the graphics, the user interface and no multiplayer.  It's sort of like finding a sports car with the best engine, best gas mileage, best price value and most reliable yet the outside looks like a 1970s pinto with only three gears.... it's not tough to understand why it's not more successful.  The more successful the game the more donations for Toady and more custom content from a growing community.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 11:29:32 pm »

Toady does not want either. And the developer always has the final say here. And imagine how much time moderating a large community would soak up.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 12:19:58 am »

look DF is never going to "explode in popularity" people are just too dumb to realise how great of a game DF is and far too lazy to spend more than 5 minutes to learn how to play. Just think of it, what does minecraft has that dwarf fortress don't? A fricking baby can play minecraft, now can a baby play dwarf fortress?

in my opinion DF is better off as an obscure game from the dephts of internet that few people know its potential
Have you seen the invisible kobold?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 12:27:10 am »

in my opinion DF is better off as an obscure game from the dephts of internet that few people know its potential
Exactly. Minecrap has a cancerous community. Bay12 is not cancerous.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 12:32:53 am »

Exactly. Minecrap has a cancerous community. Bay12 is not cancerous.
I have found most players from games are friendly in the forums.  Seems unreasonable to believe an entire group of people for a game are bad.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 12:34:49 am »

I have found most players from games are friendly in the forums.  Seems unreasonable to believe an entire group of people for a game are bad.
Not all. But about 60% of Minecrap players are pure cancer, compared to maybe 1% of DF players. The bigger your community gets, the more cancerous it gets, that's the general rule of thumb.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 09:23:23 am »

Two suggestions:
The largest benefit I have seen happen with other games which add multiplayer is a massive increase in custom mods for new game content.

Within the last five years I have seen a massive increase in the number of games which are clones of dwarf fortress, but with better graphics. I am sure 99% of us will agree Dwarf Fortress is superior to MineCraft... so slightly better graphics would allow this game to explode in popularity.
What are you talking about?
Dwarf Fortress is superior in EVERYTHING!! especially graphics...
I wish that was true... because then Dwarf Fortress gaming community would be closer to the size of the MineCraft gaming community.  We all agree Dwarf Fortress is the better game... so what's holding it back from exploding with popularity?   Easy way to find the answer... find 10 gamers or more which haven't played the game and after two hours(if they last that long)... ask them "what would improve the game?"   With my testing of co-workers, family and friends....  the top three answers were the graphics, the user interface and no multiplayer.  It's sort of like finding a sports car with the best engine, best gas mileage, best price value and most reliable yet the outside looks like a 1970s pinto with only three gears.... it's not tough to understand why it's not more successful.  The more successful the game the more donations for Toady and more custom content from a growing community.

There's something else games with multiplayer, easy-to-use interface, and a huge following of casuals has .. cheating griefers...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:26:45 am by Miles_Umbrae »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 10:29:24 am »

Not all. But about 60% of Minecrap players are pure cancer, compared to maybe 1% of DF players. The bigger your community gets, the more cancerous it gets, that's the general rule of thumb.
Conversely, the smaller your community the more prone it tends to be to sneering elitism, which is far worse than oversaturation
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 09:22:14 pm »

sneering elitism, which is far worse than oversaturation
How is it worse? It decreases oversaturation and makes the forum more pleasant by removing the filth from it. Sure, elitism scares newcomers off, but a clean community is worth it IMO.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 09:58:12 pm »

sneering elitism, which is far worse than oversaturation
How is it worse? It decreases oversaturation and makes the forum more pleasant by removing the filth from it. Sure, elitism scares newcomers off, but a clean community is worth it IMO.
It becomes a community that no-one wants to join. As older members gain new interests (or just die, anything could happen in the next 30 years), the community gets smaller. Less community means less mods, less wiki writers, less people sharing stories of crazy Fun in other forums. Therefore less chance for new people to discover the game.

Possibly less donations to support the work too, but I'm thinking there's not as much of a correlation there as you might expect.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 10:04:05 pm »

The thing that disproves your "the community gets smaller over time" argument is the fact that newbies do join. It's just that they're smart enough. I hate oversaturated communities.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 10:11:00 pm »

The thing that disproves your "the community gets smaller over time" argument is the fact that newbies do join. It's just that they're smart enough. I hate oversaturated communities.
We're also not a community of elitist dickheads (mostly). Nothing too scary about the DF forum preventing newbies from joining right now.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 10:39:54 pm »

Okay then. It's the game itself, I guess, which serves as a filter for newbies.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 11:06:38 pm »

Okay then. It's the game itself, I guess, which serves as a filter for newbies.
Yes, the game and it's reputation. We're niche enough already, there's no need to try and 'protect' our safe patch of the Internet with "sneering elitism".

(Agree with not needing graphics in the game as default.)

☼FUN☼

• Bay Watcher
  • dabbling forum user
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 02:34:04 am »

I think if they added graphics to the vanilla game it would acctually be harder to understand what's happening
I mean look at those crayon drawings that they make, now immagine that into pixel art form
0_0
Have you seen the invisible kobold?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4