Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reluctant NEET  (Read 2883 times)

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
Reluctant NEET
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:14:26 pm »

So, I've graduated high school this year, and now I find myself living with my parents at age 20, with no job, no higher education, no driver's license and no car, and I live out too far from town to feasibly walk there. (I tried once; it took me most of the day and I had to rest multiple times.)

As if that didn't close enough doors, I have no experience with anything(not even volunteering, I mean NO experience) and no references, either. It seems like I'm doomed to stay a NEET until I get kicked out of my home altogether. I have applied for several jobs online, and I've even gotten a few interviews, but I am still nowhere close to getting a job.

My pretty much nonexistent work ethic probably doesn't help either. I'm honestly kind of lazy, even though I often flip-flop between wanting to stop being lazy and being perfectly content just sitting at home playing video games all day.

halp pls
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Reluctant NEET
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 10:55:05 pm »

What kind of work are you applying for? If it's stuff like retail, fast food, or manual labor I'd recommend starting with the drivers' license. Unreliable transportation is probably a major factor, if not the deciding factor, in holding back your getting a job. You'll probably have to borrow someone's car for a while until you've saved enough to buy your own, but there is no shame in this. Just pay for the gas you use.

The next thing you should start saving for is a place of your own. You should be ready to move into someplace when you start looking - don't waste people's time by flim-flamming and backing out at the last minute. There's no problem touring a place and getting details, but don't sign anything and don't pay any money until you're certain that that's where you want to be. A lot of people will charge application fees and other nonsense to get something out of people shopping around without actually having to move them in, and will pressure you to sign, but know what you can afford and don't fall for their tricks. The best way to do that is to find roommates first, then start looking for a place to live all together.

I don't know what the cost of living is like where you live, but I and one roommate can afford a relatively spartan lifestyle and rent a small house in a shitty neighborhood with both of us working part-time at just a hair above the state minimum wage. Waiting and saving is to give yourself a financial buffer zone while your costs are still low. It will be tempting to spend those savings, but you will need them eventually. Don't squander them on things like eating out or video games, or you'll be caught with your pants down when you have to go to the doctor or your car breaks down. Also, if you haven't had any luck elsewhere you can sign up with a temp agency. It's not an excellent deal, but a lot of places recruit exclusively through temp services, and they'll take pretty much anybody and find something for them to do eventually. Plus you can always just refuse whatever they offer you if you've managed to get something better lined up in the meantime with no consequences to yourself at all.

I can't actually make you do anything. Whether you do all of the above, none of it, or something like it is entirely up to you. But even if you don't do all that up there, I cannot stress enough that it's vital that you at least have a plan. Write it down. Tell your family and friends about your plans. It's not vital that you follow your plan exactly, things happen after all, but a goal gives you a direction to travel in, and writing it down and telling people gives you some accountability. You'll get there.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 12:06:52 pm »

I'm honestly kind of lazy, even though I often flip-flop between wanting to stop being lazy and being perfectly content just sitting at home playing video games all day.
Well, you know how to start to fix the situation, then, right?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 05:53:15 pm »

this might seem a little shoehorned in but it straightened me out and will help in future life if you can handle it: join the military.

any branch, but i'd recommend either the airforce or navy for someone who frequents this forum. basic training is basic training for life. i still fold my bed with hospital corners if im not paying attention and i wipe things with a quick circular pattern like im wiping the floor by hand still. i can compartmentalize my thoughts even when dead tired and set myself up for success when planning things (like setting up dominoes, it's all set and the only thing to do is work it). it will get you a job, get you out of the house and get you experience in one fell swoop. you'll get used to living on your own and gradually having responsibility for yourself and your job.

but it will limit your freedom greatly you can still have fun on weekends and stuff but once you're in, you're in (pending medical issues). no quitting cuz its not fun anymore. its a commitment. if you don't exercise much (something i had to fix as well), you'll have to start and keep it up. you will have to deal with some assholes, but that's not military exclusive. the pay will be good but not quite civilian levels unless you're an officer (and being in the military can get you a college education so you can eventually be an officer too)

im sorry if that seemed kinda gushy but the air force set my life to a positive trajectory for the rest of my life. i was an idiot and didn't stay in and didn't take advantage of the time to get a degree, but the experience got me a decent job with Citibank and i can afford to go to college now.

edit*
this will also fix that laziness to a great extent. if i know i have to get something done and i try to laze out of it, i can still hear my Training Instructor (not Drill Sargent) chew my asshole open. its fine on days off but when somethings planned to get done, you know who's face im gonna be seeing in my dreams.

DOUBLE EDIT*
i should note this is mainly aimed at if you're american. if not, i'd recommend starting small and working your way up. you don't have to have a 30k a year job just yet. also, are your parents pressuring you to leave? if not, and they only want you to get out of the house and have some income for yourself, definitely take advantage of the time to save up like baffler suggested. if any of your family friends have a room open and they live closer to your job/potential job site, see if they're willing to rent it to you for a fair price. don't be afraid to jump feet first into retail as a starter job either, my first job was a janitor after i got out of the air force. i then got a job with loss prevention and then a tech job i held for years. you can build on your work experience and leverage that to your advantage to get a better job, you just gotta start somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 05:16:14 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:23:34 am »

Considering your situation, what you're calling “laziness” may be clinical depression. I recommend seeing a psychologist (not a therapist, a psychologist – the kind with Dr in their name – but a therapist will do if you can't find a psychologist) if you can.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 10:05:44 am »

not even volunteering

Start here. Find your local soup kitchen, church charities, second-hand stores, whatever is common in the US. Get in contact with them and sign up to help.
Love, scriver~

ragman le bon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 02:22:49 pm »

I live out too far from town to feasibly walk there. (I tried once; it took me most of the day and I had to rest multiple times.

Bike?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 01:37:29 pm »

this might seem a little shoehorned in but it straightened me out and will help in future life if you can handle it: join the military.

DOUBLE EDIT*
i should note this is mainly aimed at if you're american.

This is good advice wherever you are (I don't know why being American would make this different, other than that they tend to have slightly lower intake requirements?). It'll sort you out, give you direction and you'll get real life skills. As Jimbo said, go for a slightly more technical arm and make sure to state and triple state your affinity with computers.

If you're completely opposed to the military, I'd recommend doing volunteering and then taking up a few classes to start with. Nothing crazy, just volunteer two or three times a week at a food bank (or whatever will pay your travel costs) and then go to a class after/before it. If you're interested in computers, do classes in that, but they could be literally anything. Build up from there, but make sure you absolutely 100% make it to those no matter what. After a few weeks, you'll probably have found friends, a bit of direction and you can start looking for jobs.

Considering your situation, what you're calling “laziness” may be clinical depression. I recommend seeing a psychologist (not a therapist, a psychologist – the kind with Dr in their name – but a therapist will do if you can't find a psychologist) if you can.

It might, but it's probably not. I flip flop between wanting to sit around and be lazy and wanting to be productive - pretty much every member of the human race does.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 04:59:52 pm »

Hey. Been there, got out of it.

The masterkey is to move your butt. You said you had a few interviews, keep them coming. Insist until you have something.
In the meantime, do not stay inactive. Inactivity here is your main enemy. You can volonteer, that will give you some experience.

I'd advise against :

Mostly because :

but it will limit your freedom greatly you can still have fun on weekends and stuff but once you're in, you're in (pending medical issues). no quitting cuz its not fun anymore. its a commitment.

Don't take lifelong commitment because you're lost at 20. This is normal.

Here, that's what I did. Thanks to that, I could travel places. It takes a bit of intensive labour, but not very long (they say 4 hours a day, but you're likely to do a wee bit more) but you can quit anytime and without notice, and it will make you see places.

https://www.wwoof.fr/

Also, whatever they say : you are 20. You are very young. It is perfectly normal to be a bit lost at your age. Take some time to learn about what you want to do. Don't stay inactive, accumulate experiences good and bad, then you'll open your own doors naturally.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:23:52 am »

It all depends what you're into, and I agree with Cathar that getting (and staying) active is the key.

However, whilst you're still young and can do whatever you want without real repercussion, be wary that you don't spend 5-6 years doing lots of odd jobs/random things and have nothing to show for it. A few of a family member's friends have just come out of the 'travelling and travel jobs' stage, and they're all wondering why working picking grapes and in hostels isn't getting them the city job they were after. I would always, always recommend travelling though - it'll seriously change you for the better.

The WWOOF program and similar is great if you're into farming however it's probably not going to help you with a career in business/computing/anything other than farming. Whilst the military is a big time investment, you could be out by 25 or so with a lot of technical skills (and money) but you will have to sacrifice some freedom for it. Volunteering locally will allow you to build up more skills and be a big tick for employers, but you'll have to motivate yourself more than a set program.

It doesn't really matter what you do though, as long as you get active and stick to a schedule. All experience is good experience, and whilst you're getting that experience,  try to work out a goal and move steadily towards it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:16 am »

Alternatively, what you can do is to look for apprenticeship programs in a field that interest you. Especially if you live in a small village, artesans are often looking for apprentices, pay is not that great, but it will give you experience and a straight up path to a carreer.

Military is a good solution if you're confident you can take it...returns I have from veterans suggest that it might be harder than the average joe can take, but any of those solutions is prefferable to inactivity.

Also, I posted the wwoof programs because that's what I did when I was kicked out around your age. Take it as a last resort solution, get better if you can get better. It's not great, but it make you travel, learn some skills, see some faces, and more importantly not sleep under a bridge.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 12:41:25 pm »

A good alternative to WWOOF is helpstay:
https://helpstay.com/

What better way for an American to learn that living with your mom even until late 40s is no big deal, than spending a few months in Italy?
#mammamia #bloodyitalians #porcamiseria