Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: They Are Billions - Hardcore Survival RTS  (Read 17444 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
They Are Billions - Hardcore Survival RTS
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:37 pm »

I've been tracking this for a while, and it just launched into early access on Steam. Very positive feedback from people who've had beta keys, and I just picked it up myself.

Here's the gist: It's a single-player only RTS oriented around building a steampunk-flavored colony in the post-zombie wastelands. The primary mode, and the only one available right now, is a timer-based survival deal where you're aiming to last for a certain amount of time against increasingly heavy waves of zombies, both spawned on timers and random hordes formed from the passive mobs of them on the map.

It's all sounding pretty generic, I'd bet. The hook is that the resource management is complex but clear, and really tightly wound. You're going to be spending every minute scrambling to macro as efficiently as possible while also juggling micro for the forces you're using to clear out new land, build up passive defenses, and save up for research. Even the default difficulty on the easiest map feels really damn tense. Speaking of difficulty, there are two adjustable settings: duration, and enemy density. The latter is obvious. The former scales difficulty up as the time you have to hold out for is lowered, because it's compressing the attacks that normally occur over 100 days ingame down to 80 or 60 or whatever. That, and there's no reloading saves. When your colony falls, your save gets deleted.

There's lots of well-planned little points. Walls are strong, but you can only build them two-thick. Units can't pass through buildings--if you turn your colony into a messy underhive dealie, your soldiers are going to get stuck walking single-file through crooked alleyways trying to get to the walls before they're breached. If you use soldiers armed with guns, they attract more zombies than your archer scouts. Whenever zombies infest a building that supplies population or workers, all of the people based in that building burst out as new zombies for the horde, making any breach that reaches your residential districts a likely game over. Most to the point, they're not kidding about the name: the devs have the engine set to support ~20,000 units onscreen at once. If you don't clear all of the passive zombies from the map, the last wave of the game will drag them all in on the final assault.

You unlock new maps by beating earlier ones at given difficulty levels. The maps are generated with a set of general characteristics and visuals unique to each-ferex the first map will always generate with a lot of natural chokepoints between forests, mountains, and lakes (all of which are impassable terrain), since it's the first map and they wanted it to always be a bit easier. They've got a full campaign slated for launch in early 2018. The game's $25 US, on a small 10% sale for a week or so for launch, and IMO well worth it even with only the survival mode. The music and sound are pretty good, the art style is tasteful, the gameplay feels solid.

HERE is the official trailer.
HERE is a screenshot they've had up that might give you a decent idea of what you're looking at on higher difficulties if you're sloppy.
HERE is the last bit of a 180% difficulty match on the first map played by one of the youtubers I watched before buying. FWIW earlier in the stream he mentioned being a Diamond league Starcraft II player. The other folks I watched didn't have as much RTS experience and got shitstomped even on 100% difficulty.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: They Are Billions - Hardcore Survival RTS
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 10:27:17 pm »

Yeah, I've seen a bit of this, and is seems incredibly brutal.

Images from their steam page

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 10:47:07 pm »

I picked this up and played it a good couple of hours earlier today. It's a very solid game thus far. Although it does feel a little bit... A little bit repetitive and mechanical in the survival mode. It very much feels sorta like a game all about squeezing out efficiencies and margins in order to macro up the most effective way to be ready for the zombies, which, if you like that sorta thing, great. If you're not really into that I don't think survival mode is going to have a lot of longevity, but it's all pretty high quality (except for the writing, you can tell whoever wrote a lot of the descriptions and stuff isn't a native English speaker, it's not terrible, but it's noticeable.) And eventually there's going to be a campaign, no idea what the quality of that will be like, they say on their blog they expect 40-50 hours of gameplay, but it's hard for me to imagaining it being like a star craft style campaign with lots of variety and stuff making it sorta worth playing though, but we'll see!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:48:47 pm by Criptfeind »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 08:05:35 am »

That's definitely worth noting, you're probably going to want to be invested in the mechanics of optimizing build orders and juggling resource shortages to get a good amount of time out of it.

The semi-random maps do help with that, since they can vary enough (mostly regarding resource placement) to seriously shift around your priorities and force you to play differently.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 08:21:12 pm »

Well, I've been playing this some more, last night I managed to get my first win (on 100% difficulty), it took 3 games (Although I died like... day 5 my first game... Protect your tents people!).

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »

Yeah, clearing the map is VERY important, although I'm having quite a few problems with the 2nd map because of so many buildings of doom and a billion spitters everywhere forcing me to focus on microing my troops the entire time, which makes me forget to macro at times.

Edit. So I had an option of a thanatos as a bonus on day 14, very !FUN! because rockets attracts ALL the zombies. Would be good to use once you have defenses set up.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:15:03 am by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 10:07:11 am »

I built a couple of Thanatos to see if they'd be good aoe behind walls, but their explosions seem to damage your own defenses, rendering them more harmful then useful? At least, they seemed to be damaging my own gates, considering how quickly they fell.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 12:54:27 pm »

Thanatos requires micromanagement, good against a horde to thin it out, the issue is its very slow walk speed. Having a Thanatos or two to kill the large clusters, snipers to kill specials and a few soldiers to finish off the ones that get close, you can beat most hordes, at least in theory.

I have found the static defenses, like the spike traps, to be useful if you ever find yourself with lots of gold but little resources. They have the added bonus of being able to kill things without having a maintenance cost. That and the horde killing strategy may be what is needed to beat brutal difficulty.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 04:04:39 am »

Just got this - absolutely incredible. In my mind it's the best RTS since Red Alert 2/AOE 3/SupCom1. Everything feels so, so right, it's got a very solid steampunk type style, and everything enough variation to keep it interesting (mayors and random terrain mainly).

Very solid for Early access as well.

10/10 would get swarmed again.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 07:08:47 pm »

I've had my eye on this for quite awhile. I think I'll wait until coop releases before I buy it for myself and my mates.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 07:12:54 pm »

Hum, does anyone know if they are going to make multiplayer? I've not seen any news on it, but that'd be pretty cool.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 07:17:10 pm »

Hum, does anyone know if they are going to make multiplayer? I've not seen any news on it, but that'd be pretty cool.

Hi!

Multiplayer mode is not planned right now, but if the game is successful enough perhaps we will add it later.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 07:33:32 pm »

Nice. Hopefully they get enough that they add it. That'll be cool.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 07:35:33 pm »

Nice. Hopefully they get enough that they add it. That'll be cool.
Yeah, I can see my friends and I having a lot of fun with it.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 06:50:50 pm »

'Tis a fun and hard game. And the units have some interesting quotes, "Last night I dreamt of brains exploding." Certainly the kind of thing one wants to hear from a sniper when zombies are coming. Just don't tell them to attack themselves, because they can and will if ordered.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8