Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: They Are Billions - Hardcore Survival RTS  (Read 17483 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: They Are Billions - Hardcore Survival RTS
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 01:56:15 pm »

I'm expected something like that to happen lol.  This game is all about cutting as many corners as possible without messing up.  Just knowing the steps isn't enough to follow them, you have to make the mistakes and lose before you learn to how to avoid them.  Kudos on making it anywhere at all, I had to play several times on 100% before I won.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2018, 02:36:22 am »

If anyone is still following the game: they've added some extra content.  There are 6 ultra expensive wonders now, and when I say expensive I mean it.  Each of them requires 3 warehouses just to be able to store enough resources to build them... and they cost the same to research as they do to build (they're the only research projects that require things other than gold).  They do things like reveal the entire map, or make all of your units veteran.  There's also an inn that serves a weak bank, absorbs all your wood, provides oodles of workers and occasionally lets you hire veteran units at double the cost.  Finally, you can find abandoned buildings throughout the level; usually it seems to be shock towers, but I've found one radar tower.  These need to be claimed by moving next to them and then repaired once the power grid reaches them.  You can also loot them by demolishing them but rubble will prevent you from building anything else in their place.

My assessment?  All of those features are traps.  Keep in mind I'm playing normal difficulty on the desert map, which features faster zombies and is just generally brutal.  Anyway, the inn is alright; if it didn't have to be researched it would be OK but it does so its not worth the cost of entry.  Wonders seem to be entirely for inflating your score, as the price... my god.  You could pretty much build a market + bank and surround them with stone houses for the cost of a single wonder.  I love shock towers but the ones on the map are suicide.  I've never gotten an early shock tower so I've never noticed, but those things are loud AF.  I reclaimed one a full screen away from a doom village, and it basically summoned one prong of the final wave.  Never thought I'd see the day where stock zombie colonists defeated a shock tower, but its apparently possible with enough of them.  Mind you, this was before the first actual wave so I did not survive.

In other news, your soldier can now move explosive barrels around and detonate them.  Don't know if he could before, but he can now.  The explosives spawn alongside the resources you find through exploration.  One of them should be enough to kill the entire first wave, but I'm not sure soldier has the range to detonate it without committing suicide.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2018, 03:40:26 am »

I got an executor almost directly beside my town, day 12 it was mine. Yeah, had no worries about that side for a while.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2018, 10:00:28 am »

I find the shock towers useful if they are far enough out. They make a nice addition to edge-defense setups. Not necessary and not worth risking a lot to get, but still useful.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2018, 05:13:58 pm »

As far as the inn goes, I thought the veteran units were just a gold cost rather than needing colonists, food and other materials?? I found it quite useful as I got a good 10 or so veteran snipers and soldiers out of it which I used to reinforce wherever waves were coming from. Getting 100 workers without needing all the food reserves/space for housing really helps as well, and the gold boost helps out a bit too.

That being said, my starting position had tons of wood so I didn't really feel the loss with that.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2019, 05:33:26 am »

So the full version, with campaign, just dropped and...

Wow, the campaign maps are kind of annoying. Make sure you read the requirements for mission completion carefully. I just failed a map that took like two hours because I wasn't paying attention and did not meet the population requirement despite sweeping all the zeds off the map, which was the 'real' objective. Also, it keeps track of your retries and gives you a score penalty that persists for the entire campaign.

Edit: Also: Tactical maps. Better known as kite stuff around for half an hour as you pick them off one by one, followed by staring at the map for another half hour as you pixel hunt to find the bonuses on the map for extra research points.
Edit: Next morning, after clocking another 5 minutes on a mission where I spent two and a half times the mission time hunting for the bonuses... it was in a barrel in a room with like 20 other nigh identical barrels, 80% covered up by a wall.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:07:57 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2019, 12:31:50 pm »

So the full version, with campaign, just dropped and...

Wow, the campaign maps are kind of annoying. Make sure you read the requirements for mission completion carefully. I just failed a map that took like two hours because I wasn't paying attention and did not meet the population requirement despite sweeping all the zeds off the map, which was the 'real' objective. Also, it keeps track of your retries and gives you a score penalty that persists for the entire campaign.

Edit: Also: Tactical maps. Better known as kite stuff around for half an hour as you pick them off one by one, followed by staring at the map for another half hour as you pixel hunt to find the bonuses on the map for extra research points.
Edit: Next morning, after clocking another 5 minutes on a mission where I spent two and a half times the mission time hunting for the bonuses... it was in a barrel in a room with like 20 other nigh identical barrels, 80% covered up by a wall.

I haven't played it, but it seems to be a very common theme in reviews. Apparently the devs are releasing a big patch very shortly to drastically reduce the amount of annoyance in the campaign.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2019, 01:42:45 pm »

That's good. I haven't tried out the campaign yet, but am planning on it. TaB is a one of the few RTS' I really enjoy, so I'd like the campaign to actually be fun. :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2019, 05:11:09 pm »

I'm so tired
last night was amazing
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2019, 07:11:37 pm »

Lower difficulty levels now have the loot literally shine, so there's that.

The loot should have really been a score only thing or like little lore things. Not one of their best design decisions.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2019, 02:23:20 pm »

I'm so tired
last night was amazing
last night was amazing.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2019, 02:23:59 pm »

I'm so tired
last night was amazing
last night was amazing.
Oh, I SMASHED it last night.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2019, 06:39:27 pm »

Lower difficulty levels now have the loot literally shine, so there's that.

The loot should have really been a score only thing or like little lore things. Not one of their best design decisions.
Yeah... the fortress missions take long enough without having do a pixel hunt mouseover of every single object you come across.

I'm glad they fixed that. Hopefully the campaign tone down will come after. If nothing else it's nice to be out of my normal comfort zone of choke points but some of these are just egregious.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2019, 10:48:46 am »

What's really bugging me is just how random some of these maps are.

There was one map where I started with two different piles of gold just barely visible off the edge of my screen; that gave me a tremendous leg up until I derped like two hours later by not noticing a 1-tile gap in a forest that I didn't plug up that let them walk straight into a softer area of my base, yay...
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2019, 12:24:01 pm »

“Plug up” sucks ass because that’s a population going towards a tiny area which will almost never get hit.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8