Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: does obsidian mean magma?  (Read 1092 times)

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
does obsidian mean magma?
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:15:44 pm »

I've started a new fortress and I've hit a few obsidian layers. I know you can make obsidian from magma and water but does finding layers of it premade mean there's magma under?
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: does obsidian mean magma?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 09:43:14 pm »

No. This isn't Minecrap. There's a selection of igneous intrusive stones, look it up on the wiki.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 10:00:11 pm »

One surefire way to find out is to try mining some of the obsidian. If any of it's warm, there's magma nearby.

4powerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:13:02 pm »

No. This isn't Minecrap. There's a selection of igneous intrusive stones, look it up on the wiki.
woah dude it was a question, for your information I haven't played minecraft in YEARS, the reason I really asked was because I found black sand earlier, which can be caused by basalt from volcanoes
GENERATION 30:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
don't walk past the unoccupied beds to sleep on the floor and then complain about it

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 10:14:55 pm »

woah dude it was a question, for your information I haven't played minecraft in YEARS, the reason I really asked was because I found black sand earlier, which can be caused by basalt from volcanoes

It's OK. I just dislike that game.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:19:41 am »

As mentioned, obsidian is a normal layer material, However, magma pipes and volcanoes (which are really just pipes that reach the surface) are lined with obsidian, so if horizontal digging hits obsidian you've either hit a pipe/volcano (which will further warn you by being warm, as stated), or an obsidian layer in a neighboring geo biome.
The magma sea can be found in various kinds of rock (including magma unsafe ones), including obsidian, but obsidian there is just another layer, not an indication.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 08:17:25 am »

Often, when you find obsidian close to the surface, magma can be found at a higher z-level as well, usually as a magma pipe. I usually dig tunnels in all directions, looking for a magma pipe.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?