Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manager not respecting job conditions  (Read 566 times)

SpeedDaemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Manager not respecting job conditions
« on: December 15, 2017, 02:54:06 pm »

What I'm trying to set up is to have a "make 10 leather shoes" job fire off if I have less than 10 shoes available. It seemed simple enough... set item condition "shoes available less than 10"... but I just checked my clothes stockpile, and there's like 100 shoes in there. Playing around with the conditions on the manager screen, it seems to think there are exactly zero shoes available.

Am I doing something wrong?

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Re: Manager not respecting job conditions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 04:18:01 pm »

Are the shoes in the stockpile worn (i.e. they are tattered from use (XXCow Leather ShoeXX))? Also, since you have made shoes, dwarves probably claimed some, resulting in all the shoes in the stockpile not being "available" shoes. Try and making a whole bunch of shoes and seeing if "available" shoes still sits at zero. I know there are some obscure minor bugs with the manager right now, but it's usually pretty good at detecting if there are certain items available.

I also automate leather shoe production. However, I normally set the manager to order more shoes if the amount of leather available is above, say, 15. In that case, I know that if I have the leather to complete the order, plus some spare, then the shoes will be made.

Oh, if you could, could you post what your production order is?

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »

You could try changing your manager order to make 1 shoe at a time, instead of 10. That should at least limit the amount of excess stock.

Also, are the shoes stored in bins? The shoes might be temporarily inaccessible whenever a dwarf accesses that bin (for example, whenever someone fetches themselves a new pair of shoes), which could trigger the order. Many players seem to use binless stockpiles to avoid this kind of problem.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:36:15 pm »

Are you sure you're not reading the conditions incorrectly? The choices are "at most" or "at least", there's no "less than". You want "at most 10".

SpeedDaemon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:10:49 pm »

Are you sure you're not reading the conditions incorrectly? The choices are "at most" or "at least", there's no "less than". You want "at most 10".

Conditions for this order are "Amount of shoes available is less than 4" AND "Amount of tanned hides available is at least 20"

Quote from: Madrigal
Also, are the shoes stored in bins? The shoes might be temporarily inaccessible whenever a dwarf accesses that bin (for example, whenever someone fetches themselves a new pair of shoes), which could trigger the order. Many players seem to use binless stockpiles to avoid this kind of problem.

This might be it... I had one stockpile for all clothes, and a huge migrant wave with everything wearing out at once. The one clothier obviously was slower doing everyone's head/body/leg/handwear than the one leatherworker was doing just shoes, so everyone had new shoes, but was constantly hitting the bins every time a new article of clothing hit. I split it into separate stockpiles for each type of clothing, and it seems to have alleviated the problem a bit. Might just have to make the zone bigger and ditch the bins, though.

Oh well... at least I won't run out of shoes for a few years...  :D

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:02:48 am »

Ok. Must be misremembering how it works. Can you post a screenshot of your conditions screen?