Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Necromancer + Vampire/Werebeast?  (Read 9047 times)

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer + Vampire/Werebeast?
« on: December 15, 2017, 03:49:13 pm »

So, I've been looking around on the wiki for some information on this, but I'd like some clarification.

Right now, I'm inclined to think that you can become a necromancer while you are already a vampire or werebeast.  Is this true?  If it is, do you still keep the benefits of being a vampire or werebeast (i.e. do you still heal during the full moon?).  If you are a vampire who becomes a necromancer, do you still thirst for blood, and do you have to breathe?

Basically, I'm just wondering what effects the combinations of Necromancer + Vampire or Necromancer + Werebeast give you.

On a side note, why don't adamantine objects/weapons ever appear in world generation? (Although, I did read somewhere that adamantine swords could be found underground...)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:08:07 pm by Strato1 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer + Vampire/Werebeast?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 06:00:07 pm »

usually folks go vampire to bypass the undead and learn necromancy with no hassle.
going werewolf is mostly regen traits so the benifit of going were to necro is slowly realizing you got nowhere to go and all your undead will attack you as you gain the berserk trait with werebeast and aggro your creations
vampire to necro is getting blood vision, the whole red thirst doesn't seem to have any "if you don't drink any blood you die." just the adventurer will look forward to draining someone when you let go of controlling that adventurer so the combination is mostly an upgrade of being an undead lord.

to answer the question they stack on top of each other as necromancy is a skill one reads and learns and not a curse.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Badargo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:31:47 pm »

Just make sure you arent an elf as they cant become necromancers...

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 12:49:32 am »

Pretty sure they can't only during worldgen.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 12:06:22 pm »

And the Adamntine underground swords have been discontinued.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 10:32:42 pm »

I always go with progression this way:

First I become  a vampire, as it is insanely easy in this version ->then i become a necromancer -> then i become a mist zombie

In that order, it makes you essentially a god and its a fun little 'quest' to put yourself on.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 10:34:20 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

verminatorsupreme

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 04:08:22 am »

They can, but presumably only if they aren't from an elfven civ, as they worship some vague "force", instead of a member of a pantheon, which can include a god of death.

Fruitsbrain Weapon-tosser

• Bay Watcher
  • I must leave!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:09:02 am »

First I become  a vampire, as it is insanely easy in this version ->then i become a necromancer -> then i become a mist zombie

In that order, it makes you essentially a god and its a fun little 'quest' to put yourself on.
I was unaware Mist Zombie can be stacked onto Vampirism. How does the speed/Agility decrease interact with the physical attributes vampirism gives you?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »

I was unaware Mist Zombie can be stacked onto Vampirism. How does the speed/Agility decrease interact with the physical attributes vampirism gives you?

You dont really get much slower, so i guess the speed from vampirism overrides slowness.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:23 pm »

They can, but presumably only if they aren't from an elfven civ, as they worship some vague "force", instead of a member of a pantheon, which can include a god of death.

There's also the fact that the primary reason NPCs in worldgen become necromancers is to avoid coming to terms with their own mortality. Elves are already biologically immortal, so they (along with goblins) don't really have much need to become necromancers.

That said, there's no reason I'm aware of that it shouldn't be possible for an elf or goblin adventurer to become a necromancer.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 01:12:35 am »

They can do it. They just *won't* during world gen because, for the reasons mentioned above, goblins and elves have no interest in it. They already live forever.

...As for that: Honestly? I usually never bother with necromancy. But it can be fun to do. Vampirism is horrifyingly strong and it turns off the hunger system. Starving to death is a pain. So if I'm going for vampirism I'll usually just go for that. The only reason I bother with necromancy is for the sake of "Why not." Usually I just go to the towers and punch all the zombies to death to train up my skills. More fun *and* Fun than punching squirrels.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 06:49:21 pm »

...As for that: Honestly? I usually never bother with necromancy. But it can be fun to do. Vampirism is horrifyingly strong and it turns off the hunger system. Starving to death is a pain. So if I'm going for vampirism I'll usually just go for that. The only reason I bother with necromancy is for the sake of "Why not." Usually I just go to the towers and punch all the zombies to death to train up my skills. More fun *and* Fun than punching squirrels.
Necromancy also turns off hunger. What vampirism has going for it is sensing blood and not suffocating. The trade-off is not being able to regrow limbs, since you can't become a werebeast.

Does zombie stack with werebeast? Seems like the best of everything, other than getting along with living things.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:01:52 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 07:06:04 pm »

The trade off nobody ever seem to consider, be it with vampirism or lycanthropy, is to become a blight upon the world after retirement. Necromancy is arguably the less evil way to attain immortality, as if you live secluded with like minded people, you will not cause a lot of death inside your own civilization after you're done wandering around, and can even be of use - i've seen necromancer towers supporting the wars of their parent civilizations against elves and goblins, which is the reason I do not destroy them anymore without gathering intel about their activities

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 08:32:01 pm »

The trade off nobody ever seem to consider, be it with vampirism or lycanthropy, is to become a blight upon the world after retirement. Necromancy is arguably the less evil way to attain immortality, as if you live secluded with like minded people, you will not cause a lot of death inside your own civilization after you're done wandering around, and can even be of use - i've seen necromancer towers supporting the wars of their parent civilizations against elves and goblins, which is the reason I do not destroy them anymore without gathering intel about their activities
Or you could just throw yourself into a volcano and not retire.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 09:36:41 pm »

Necromancy also turns off hunger. What vampirism has going for it is sensing blood and not suffocating. The trade-off is not being able to regrow limbs, since you can't become a werebeast.

Does zombie stack with werebeast? Seems like the best of everything, other than getting along with living things.

Zombie makes you slow and lose normal healing though.

Meanwhile: I actually hate lycanthropy, because it makes me drop all my gear on the floor. Limb regrowth is minimal in usefulness as well because generally if I've lost a limb I'm about to die anyway. Especially if I don't have the strength/agility/endurance/NO_PAIN/etc that comes with vampirism. Necromancy also used to lock all of your skills at their current levels. Not sure if that's still the case.

Also you can get vampirism really easily. As for the not dealing with the hunger system part, that will be a problem by the time I can get ahold of a necromancy book. One does not simply waltz into a necromancer tower with a starting character. One does however beat up an unarmed civilian who happens to have doubled physical attributes and drink their blood with a starting character.

I don't think people who go for vampirism and lycanthropy usually care about retiring. Though it is a problem for people who do that, yes.
Pages: [1] 2