Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Herbdogg 7x7 -> 20x20 (former copyright question thread)  (Read 3231 times)

zava

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Herbdogg 7x7 -> 20x20 (former copyright question thread)
« on: December 16, 2017, 06:39:19 am »

I got this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not quite happy with the dwarfery but I like how it turned out otherwise.

Originally this thread was about copyrights among df tileset creators. My question was whether I had to ask the artist before modifying his work
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:49:27 am by zava »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: New guy here hello, a copyright question and my first project
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 07:31:45 am »

If you credit them and aren't making money with it, you're almost certainly fine. Could try contacting herb first though.
One wheel short of a wagon

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 07:43:03 am »

Hey I've been playing around with gimp the last couple of days trying to upscale the herbdogg 7x7 tileset because I find it so beautiful.

I don't know what the rules are concerning someone elses tileset. Can I just uploaded what I've done with it?

The most basic of copyright laws declare that it's alright to use and modify people's work, as long as you give credit to the creator and plan on not selling it.
For a more moral standpoint, I'd definitely contact the original creator and ask him if it's okay for you to modify his/her work.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 07:52:41 am »

Herrbdog is available in multiple sizes than just 7x7 if that helps:

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:58:04 am »

The most basic of copyright laws declare that it's alright to use and modify people's work, as long as you give credit to the creator and plan on not selling it.

If you modify somebody else's work they have every right to object, even if you credit them and aren't making money from it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:11:24 am by Taffer »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 06:46:11 pm »

This is... actually hilariously wrong, funnily enough.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 06:56:01 pm »

In the DF community it pretty normal, but I wouldn't suggest doing this with graphics from other sources, if not otherwise stated.

For what it's worth, I generally consider anything I do here open-source and freely redistributable.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 06:50:50 pm »

I've been looking into this a lot recently. I wanted to do the right thing when releasing my tileset even though I'm switching out all the borrowed content and will soon have it 100% my own. The fact of the matter is that pretty much everyone, with the exception of a few choice tilesets, copies from someone else when making a tileset. Look at the DF wiki tileset repository and you'll see that most of the tilesets cite someone elses work as the base for their tileset. I'm not saying it right I'm just pointing it out.

Some suggestions would be to: Resize a tile, Flip a tile, change the shading, change the colors, or make small changes to make it your own, combine two different tiles. Have fun making changes.

The question I'd be asking is if anyone on the DF Forum has a copyrighted tileset in the first place. Most people are okay with it if you cite them in the credit. Just my two cents.

My created content is free for sharing as well. Cheers  ;D
-Dragonmaster13

zava

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 11:02:15 am »

OK cool I almost forgot I had already posted this.

The thing is the 12x12 version and the 16x16 version are different from the 7x7. The dwarfs look chinese and the font is not the fat movie title style that makes the 7x7 so cool. In the 7x7 however the dwarfs have this empty look in their face that makes me feel bad. I want them to belook happy when they die in the most awful fun way. I had my first siege yesterday. My people died picking up equipment :(. "The goblin strikes **** in the head with his pike and the part explodes in gore"

Ok since I see that the general consensus seems to be go for it despite the fact that the artist has the right to object. If he does so I'm fine if I take it down I assume.
It's a beginners work but if you have any advice for improvement let me hear it pls. I'm also a fan of the CGA thin tileset. I like cheepicos tileset but there again the dwarfs look not happy.

Here is how it looks so far. I couldn't for the life of me not figure out how to recreate the shading after the transition. The inspiration for the faces are part cgi, cheepico, and herbbdog ofc.

The font just makes me smile.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:05:23 am by zava »

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 11:49:37 am »

I agree with Taffer's remarks, but at the same time isn't anything posted on the wiki under MIT and GFDL licenses? I suspect if the author does not want to be under those licenses (however they apply to character tilesets) then they wouldn't post them on the wiki. In other words, the author agrees to those terms by uploading them to the wiki in the first place.

I specifically keep anything I've created off the wiki, because I do not want anything I've created under those licenses preferring to provide my own "for personal use only" clause via the bfx_ReadMe.txt.

At the same time, I've definitely used parts of things on the wiki because they were under those licenses (with proper credit and links to the original via the download page, bfx_ReadMe.txt, etc).

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 04:24:42 pm »

I couldn't for the life of me not figure out how to recreate the shading after the transition.

Here's some auto shading:

zava

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 08:00:05 pm »

ooh cool. thanks! ill look that function up. I've been trying drop shadows and light source and it was just awful

zava

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 09:33:12 pm »

I worked some more on filling the gaps
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:50:02 am by zava »