Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NEW Dragonmaster's 16x16 Tileset (170 Colors, Unique Tiles for all Stones)  (Read 33422 times)

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WELCOME to the initial release of the
DRAGONMASTER TILESET

DOWNLOAD

ABOUT
This is a 16x16 tileset(s) for Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 (soon to be v0.44.02). This tileset was initially started to use a unique tile for every STONE, FLUX, & METAL/ORE in the game. This is a game about mining and I want my DF underground to be filled with noticeably different stones. After an initial proof of concept I found more ways to add depth and character to the game. Every time I would finish an idea I found I had two more to replace it and now A Year (2017) of weekends later & over 1,000+ hours of work here I am. Below is a list of some of the unique accomplishments that this tileset tackles:
  • Unique tiles created for ALL Unmined stones, ~60+. The stones in DF are divided into two Main categories (Layer or Mineral) and Four Layer Groups (Sedimentary, Igneous intrusive, Igneous extrusive, Metamorphic). I've spent over 200+ hours looking at the rocks associated with these groups, visiting rock museums (Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History), looking up information and colors online to try and bring a picture/color to each rock and incorporating any DF rock I could find into the tileset for Nostalgia. Most of the rocks in DF are really just generic, they serve no purpose. So I came to the conclusion that they should all look different for Identification and be all different colors for your building project needs. Some look like real life examples while other icons exist for ease of identification. The layer rocks have a blended layer tile while the mineral rocks have icons, more or less. Work in progress still, yes still. I'll make more changes when I get feedback.
    Spoiler: "Stones" (click to show/hide)
  • 13x different Unmined gem tiles for better gem recognition. Cut Gems can't be changed to more than one tile, as far as I know (50+ hours of research to find out "NO").
    Spoiler: "Gems" (click to show/hide)
    Spoiler: "Gems" (click to show/hide)
  • Color palette increased from 16 to 170 colors in game. I'm going to say that again... 170 COLORS IN GAME. (NOTE: Using mifki's "Palette Expansion Feature".)
    (I was able to implement the feature in several key areas of DF. The results are vivid and amazing! :o)
    Spoiler: "Fortress View" (click to show/hide)
    Spoiler: "The Underground" (click to show/hide)
  • Every STONE, FLUX, & METAL/ORE in game has a unique color and I found a way for the products (Chests, Chairs, tables) made out of that material to retain that unique color. The following shows all the metals in the game in bar form and chests made out of each metal.
    Spoiler: "Metal Colors" (click to show/hide)
  • Mined Stone (i.e. Boulders) for STONE, FLUX, & METAL/ORE (in inventory & on ground) now appear noticeable different for better representation & understanding:
    (I've never seen anyone ever use this feature before in a tileset so I'm going to go out on a limb and say I discovered it  ??? I know people have been trying to do it in TWBT for years without success cause I was one of them. Success! DONE.)   ;D
    • Cinnabar, Pitchblende, & Cobaltite all appear BIGGER to indicate higher density (Heavier).
    • Magma safe mined stones have a (Ring or Shield) around them to identify them as MAGMA SAFE.
    • Mined Flux stones now appear as a powder to easily identify them as flux.
    • Stones with a Medical use now appear to have a plus on them identifying them for use in the hospital.
    • Metals/Ores now appear as nuggets or chunks of metal.
  • Created some unique tiles with different colors for WILD/CROP Plants (Still a work in progress). I think I changed them all...
    Spoiler: "Plants" (click to show/hide)
  • All trees have their own unique colors. A standing Pine tree with a unique dark BARK will produce a light colored WOOD when chopped down. WHY? Have you ever chopped down a tree and found that the wood on the inside was the same color as the bark? NO. Okay well now it works that way in DF as well. That wood color should be ~90% unique from all other wood colors in game and will carry over into the products made from it (I'll try to post examples of this in the future).
    Spoiler: "Forest Colors" (click to show/hide)
  • There are a lot of unique new tiles to this tileset, created by me, to take advantage of the new material colors products can be made into (50% so far, more to come).
    Spoiler: "The Tilesets" (click to show/hide)
  • Using an old DF trick I made the menu a little less intrusive on the main map. Because its all about the little things!
    Spoiler: "Shorter Menu" (click to show/hide)
  • I also took the liberty to put my spin on GOOD vs EVIL Biomes.
    Spoiler: "Evil Biome" (click to show/hide)
    Spoiler: "Good Biome" (click to show/hide)
  • Lots of research was taken to make colors appear as real to life as possible. I do take a creative license approach towards unclear colored objects in question. Where multiple color choices for a particular stone occurred I picked a color that was not already represented to make the game a more colorful place. I also picked a generic yet plausible color for exotic woods (i.e. the internal color of Avocado wood). Please remember I only have 170 Colors to work with. STOP LAUGHING!  ::)

HISTORY
I've been playing Dwarf Fortress since v0.31.25. Over the years I've changed a lot of tiles on Obsidian & Phoebus Tilesets for tiles that I liked. I finally got to the point that I wanted to make my own tileset both with my own created content and a mix of DF tiles from other sources that I thought made DF awesome (I'll be crediting authors below). After a year of edits I'm at the point now where my created content passing a lot of the borrowed tiles. My plans are to eventually make all borrowed tiles disappear and replace them with my own versions in some way, shape or form as I get better at pixel art.

FUTURE PLANS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note: Minor work still to be done. Updates are coming!
==================================
=        DOWNLOAD             =
==================================

CHANGE LOG

INSTALL
PLEASE START A NEW SAVE GAME
Initial Release means this is not yet 100%. Some game tiles haven't been coverted yet but the tileset is playable. Save often, save frequently. Be ready for lots of unexpected FUN.
(PYLNP) I have designed this tileset to be easily installed and used with PeridexisErrant's LNP starter pack 0.43.05-r11 http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622. Just Drop the Dragonmaster tileset folder into LNP\graphics folder, start up the LNP App. Go to the Graphics Tab, then the Choose Tab and select "Dragonmaster". Hit the Install Graphics Button. On same page (bottom) under advanced, make sure Print Mode is "TWBT".  Next, hit the customize Tab and change the FONT to "FONT_Dragonmaster" & GRAPHICS_FONT to "GRAPHICS_FONT_Dragonmaster". Select a color scheme for everything not yet converted to 170+ colors and click "Play Dwarf Fortress!" Button at the bottom.

(Standalone) If you don't use the LNP software and want to install this tileset I believe all you need is a copy of DFHack and TWBT plugin. I'm sorry but I'm no good at manually installing TWBT or DFHack.  I just do tilesets right now. That being said I am willing to troubleshoot issues people have with the tileset. Please don't hesitate to ask (have patients with me I have a job and a family).

COMPATIBILITY
The only real requirements for this tileset is TWBT (Text Will Be Text) & DFHack. I'm not familiar enough with installation of either to help anyone with installing this as a standalone.

All testing was done using version (0.43.05-r08) of the LNP starter pack on Windows 8.1. TEST System specs, if needed, are i7 6600K, 16 GB RAM, SSD, & GTX 970. I didn't have the time to test this on linux, so of course now I see sad penguins when I close my eyes.  :(

PyLNP NOTE: I talked with PeridexisErrant about possibly including this tileset into a future starter pack, if he's willing. A few more things need to be done before I'm happy submitting it to be included in a Lazy Newb Pack near you. Soon. Of course you can still drop the Dragonmaster tileset into the PyLNP back version 43.05-r08 while you what for me to transition the pack to DF 44.

CREDIT (work in progress)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:36:18 am by Dragonmaster13 »
-Dragonmaster13

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BRAND NEW - Dragonmaster's Tileset! Enjoy!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 12:27:10 pm »

Reserved.
-Dragonmaster13

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 12:27:41 pm »

Reserved.
-Dragonmaster13

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 12:28:37 pm »

Reserved.
-Dragonmaster13

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Dragonmaster's 16x16 Tileset (170 Colors in Game)
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 07:37:20 pm »

This love it! Looks very psychedelic. The flowers look like they're embroidered onto the grass. I like how you named your main tilesheets – very user-friendly. Dragonmaster13, you said you're okay with this being bundled with Lazy Newb Packs?

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 08:03:57 pm »

Hello Jecowa. Yah, I'm looking forward to seeing the tileset make it to a Lazy Newb Pack. That would be a dream come true. I've been using the LNP for years. I have to get the tileset to DF version 44.02 since the LNP is already rolling out content for the update. Thanks for the reply.
-Dragonmaster13

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 02:11:26 am »

It's amazing that you figured out how to make this possible, I am pretty sure everyone else gave up trying to get materials to be different colors. Well besides mifki who probably tried to do it through twbt. Very well done.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 06:10:06 am »

It looks like you changed the names of a lot of colors in your "descriptor_color_standard.txt". Also there's a bunch of entirely new colors added to it. What effect do these color descriptor changes have on the game? I'm not sure if it's safe to make these edits without starting a new save.

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 02:53:37 pm »

As stated in the Install Instruction "PLEASE START A NEW SAVE GAME". Your right, you can't make changes to the raws without starting a new game. I didn't change the color tokens required by the game so it won't have an effect on the gameplay. As an example: the ASH_GRAY token is still ASH_GRAY.
-Dragonmaster13

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 08:08:58 pm »

Finally someone is using the palette expansion feature. I definitely like the striped background, text font, indication of partially-mined tiles (why does it affect some of them only?).

Dragonmaster13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 08:58:28 pm »

mifki!! TWBT works like a charm. Thank You!
My understanding was that you weren't advertising the "palette expansion feature" but it works nicely. I've updated the description to cite you directly for the feature. I tip my hat to the master.  :)

It took a lot of work to implement. I'm happy to be the first tileset to show it working (am I the first?). Will you still be supporting it in future TWBT updates, I kind of depend on it?

Answer to your question: I've only played with 176-178:T:MineralWall(Worn1, Worn2, Worn3) and all they do is override an unmined Stone Mineral tile while digging. I haven't found the override for the rest yet. Your instructions are awesome but I'm still doing a lot of trial and error to figure out what settings work for overrides and what don't. Has someone been tasked with doing a master working examples file of overrides.txt for the masses? Are you taking volunteers?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:58:52 am by Dragonmaster13 »
-Dragonmaster13

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 09:05:04 pm »

Are you guys talking about `realcolors.lua` that comes included with TWBT? I'm not exactly sure how it works. I drag it into the /hack/scripts/ folder, and then I need to type a command into the terminal to launch it?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 09:28:38 pm »

Are you guys talking about `realcolors.lua` that comes included with TWBT? I'm not exactly sure how it works. I drag it into the /hack/scripts/ folder, and then I need to type a command into the terminal to launch it?

The feature itself is the ability to specify (in raws for example) colour values greater than 100 and TWBT will use real RGB values from colour tokens in that case. realcolors.lua is just an example, it automatically assigns tile colours for materials based on their colour token.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Dragonmaster's 16x16 Tileset (170 Colors, Unique Tiles for all Stones)
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 09:34:03 pm »

Oh, nice! I love that it works just by installing the tileset.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 09:37:10 pm »

mifki!! TWBT works like a charm. Thank You!
My understanding was that you weren't advertising the "palette expansion feature" but it works nicely. I've updated the description to cite you directly for the feature. I tip my hat to the master.  :)

It took a lot of work to implement. I happy to be the first tileset to show it working (am I the first?). Will you still be supporting it in future TWBT updates, I kind of depend on it?

Sure, why not. It was an experiment first, but it doesn't affect or depend on anything else, so no reason to remove it. The only thing I'm not sure about the choice of 100 as the base value, it's easier to work with it, but if it were say 20, we'd get another 80 usable colours.

Answer to your question: I've only played with 176-178:T:MineralWall(Worn1, Worn2, Worn3) and all they do is override an unmined Stone Mineral tile while digging. I haven't found the override for the rest yet. Your instructions are awesome but I'm still doing a lot of trial and error to figure out what settings work for overrides and what don't. Has someone been tasked with doing a master working examples file of overrides.txt for the masses? Are you taking volunteers?

I'm not sure about the problem here, all tile type names are available either from TWBT readme or from DFHack sources (which may be more up to date). There's number of other tile types with "worn" in their name, so overriding them shouldn't be a problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3