Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What weapons should our soldiers use the most often?

The Melee Weapons. The closest we'll get to having an actual Dwarven squad. Do note that this means we'll be using mostly melee on enemies that have guns...
- 3 (15.8%)
The Pistols. Humiliate the aliens by killing them with tiny baby guns! Do note that the enemy's guns are much bigger than ourse even at the start of the game...
- 0 (0%)
The Rifles. Bring the fight to the enemy with standard space marine gear. Do note that space marines have some very, very high rates of turnover due to death...
- 6 (31.6%)
The Shotguns. Like a mix of a gun and a melee weapon. Do note that enemies can and will attack from long ranges, where shotguns aren't much use...
- 2 (10.5%)
The Cannons/Explosives. Sometimes the only true solution is to blow it up. Do note that these true solutions don't apply to allies or civilians...
- 8 (42.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OpenXCOM Awesome Guns: A Suspiciously Smooth Start Of Serious Slaughter  (Read 6205 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

Oh boy.

Oh boy.

Here it is...

XCOM: UFO Defense (AKA: UFO: Enemy Unknown in Europe and Australia) is the very first XCOM game, and the start of the now-famous XCOM series, and while it's somewhat hampered by some truly extreme micromanagement (you have to manually put almost every item in your soldier's inventories), repetitive music, and a whole slew of bugs, it was good. Good enough to, well, be the start of the now-famous XCOM series.

Though this game is now clearly showing its age, there's still a (somewhat small) modding community that's made a number of mods and modpacks that change the game.

You want a laser sniper rifle? There's a mod for that.

You want more armor types? There's a mod for that.

You want your game to turn into a busty space pirate simulator?

Yeah, there's a mod for that too. Don't ask how I know of it, just... It's out there.

The mod I'm going to be playing through is the Awesome Guns mod, which adds a lot of variety to the weapons in the game, including a shotgun, a machine pistol, a sniper rifle, and a proper assault rifle. Other changes include:

Aircraft weapons are much less accurate and powerful at the beginning of the game.

Alien plasma weapons cannot be immediately used (the Weapons and Items section of the mod's website says the alien weapons are controlled by the mind). They must be researched and converted for use by normal soldiers. Of particular note is that the Blaster Launcher and the Small Launcher cannot be used by soldiers (though Stun Grenades and Blaster Rockets can be researched).

There are more armor types, including two types that can be purchased at the start of the game (The Light Vest and the Heavy Vest). Flying suit offers less defense than the power suit, and needs Floater research and UFO navigation before it can be developed.

I'll be playing through the game on the easiest difficulty (renamed from "Beginner" to "I'm too young to die!" by the mod), to make sure that I won't lose soldiers so easily.

If you wish I can rename a soldier so that they have your character's name (I''ll pick anyone who's reached Squaddie rank or higher). I wouldn't advise this until I've got at minimum personal armor researched, but I will still honor requests to put characters into the game.

Just don't expect them to survive very long.

Before I begin:
I just want you to know before I start that I can't guarantee.... anything.

I can't guarantee my own integrity, my own ability to keep a schedule, my ability to make an entertaining not terrible LP, or, like I said, anything.

Another thing you should know is that in this game, soldiers come and go (read: die) easily. Very easily. I wouldn't advise asking to be added in until I've got power armor researched unless you're fine with the idea that your character may die at any time.

Actual start of the update... sometime. Most likely when finals stop kicking my ass. (Finals end next week.)

In the meantime, though, what would you like our first base to be named, where should it be located, what should our save file be named, and what should our weapons of choice be? (This will affect what weapon upgrades I prioritize, as well as what I equip most of my soldiers with.)

The current weapons we have available includes:
Spoiler: List of weapons (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 03:55:10 pm by AzyWng »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

It occurs to me that I should probably describe how the game's time unit system works. I've made slight mentions of it before but haven't really gone into great detail into what the stats are (or any detail at all really).

More explanations of more stats will be posted.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:39:41 pm by AzyWng »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

I love using shotguns in vidyagames, so that is my vote. Turnover rate is acceptable, in my opinion. We gain the most by using cover anyway.

Just include 1 support gunner for range, I suppose.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Sniper Team Go Go Go!

As a brief aside, I use tons of Sniper Rifles in UFO: Alien Invasion - Its the only starting weapon that can reliably one-shot aliens, so I use them as my main battle rifle.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile

Sniper Team Go Go Go!

As a brief aside, I use tons of Sniper Rifles in UFO: Alien Invasion - Its the only starting weapon that can reliably one-shot aliens, so I use them as my main battle rifle.

The Sniper Rifle in the Awesome Guns modpack, as with all other weapons in OpenXCOM, takes a percentage of the wielder's Time Units rather than a set number.

A fairly high percentage of the wielder's Time Units, at that (about 52% for a Snap Shot, for example). This means that units with Sniper Rifles won't be able to travel very far if they want to take at least one shot per turn.

The Thunderbolt, the Sniper Rifle's upgrade, takes 99% of a unit's Time Units, thus functioning similarly to the Sniper Rifles of the XCOM reboot.

There's also still the questions of where our first base should be (we can pick anywhere in the world, as long as it's on land) and what I should title the save file. What do you think would be good choices?

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile

At least on beginner you are unlikely to lose 50%+ of your squad every mission nor require levelling the map in terror missions.

That said blowing up everything is !FUN! and I recommend many explosions.

Setting up in Europe, in particular Greece/Turkey will cover more funding nations iirc so probably the best choice for the main base.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

At least on beginner you are unlikely to lose 50%+ of your squad every mission nor require levelling the map in terror missions.

That said blowing up everything is !FUN! and I recommend many explosions.

Setting up in Europe, in particular Greece/Turkey will cover more funding nations iirc so probably the best choice for the main base.

+1

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Knives.

Leeroy Jenkins Style Bitches.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile

I'm in.  Auto-cannon with incendiary rounds, single shot only, mostly snap-shots except where aimed shots might be needed to cover multiple targets.

Base Location: Greece/Turkey +1.
     Base Name: Secret Base/Ikea Factory/Labour Hire Inc.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXCOM Awesome Guns: A Suspiciously Smooth Start Of Serious Slaughter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 03:54:47 pm »

So, starting the game.

Starting off with "I'm too young to die" 'cause I don't wanna lose entire squads with each mission.

This is where Turkey is, right? Right?

Ah well, at least it's covering Europe and parts of Africa.

Spoiler: Now, for the name... (click to show/hide)

And that concludes our first mission in OpenXCOM Awesome Guns. Hopefully things will be smooth sailing from now on-

Ah who am I kidding. I've never beaten this game before, we're all probably gonna die.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 05:14:20 pm »

When you get thechance, please build a character for me built exclusively around melee and grenades.

Ive had some surprisingly effective times with that build.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 11:10:15 am »

When do you start building out the base infrastructure?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 11:42:39 am »

When you get thechance, please build a character for me built exclusively around melee and grenades.

Ive had some surprisingly effective times with that build.
Will do.
Not sure if I wanna go with a Stun Rod or a Combat Knife, though. I'll think of which to use soon enough.

When do you start building out the base infrastructure?
Whenever you want, actually. You can build new infrastructure at the very start of the game, as long as you have enough money. Infrastructure includes:
More living quarters for soldiers and staff.
More laboratories and factories for scientists to research and engineers to build stuff.
Defenses to keep the base safe (for a somewhat generous definition of "safe").
Storage for items and captured aliens.
Radars to detect UFOs.

Various research projects can unlock new buildings with which one can improve their base.

If the player has enough money, it's also possible to construct a new base, though you'll only have the elevator shaft in this new base.

Building each base facility is a matter of taking multiple days.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 06:53:16 am »

I'd build a new storage facility immediatly, if those were not changed. In TftD I regularly ran out before the first mission because I bought the bigger launchers and their ammo for my subs.

And an alien containment is always nice to have, as you can sometimes bring home heavily injured aliens that just fell uncounscious.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2018, 05:26:12 am »

I don't really know any thing about Xcom but this looks interesting.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: [1] 2