Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Too many visitors  (Read 5639 times)

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Too many visitors
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:43:56 pm »

Isn't there a limit too how many visitors your fort can have at one time? Shouldn't visitors leave after a while? Is there something I should be doing to encourage them to be on their way after a while?

With in the first year of my fort I had over 450 visitors and more continuing to arrive. As my fort started to become unplayable due to the slowdown that this many guests caused I started a new fort paying closer attention to how quickly visitors arrive. Before my first migrant wave I have 60 visitors.

Shadowdragon00

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill the elves with the bear you "borrowed"
    • View Profile
Re: Too many visitors
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 03:01:47 pm »

You could murder them all.Just make sure none of your dwarfs are in the tavern and drop rocks on there heads or fill the room with water. 

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:18:57 pm »

Why do you have a visitable location set up before your first migrant wave?

Also in d_init there's a VISITOR_CAP, which by default is set to 100.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 03:47:35 pm »

DF 0.44.01-02 suffers from artifact seeker visitor hordes that do not respect the visitor cap.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 09:50:48 pm »

Is there currently any work around for this or do I need to build a visitor murder machine before I build my first farm or still?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 03:58:33 am »

I would assume a mostly depopulated world won't have many artifact seekers to send at you, but apart from that it's waiting for that bug to be fixed.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 01:09:43 pm »

Is there any known way to mitigate the number of visitors that are in complete disregard for the standard visitor restrictions? I've seen a number of other people playing the game without the problems I'm having.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 01:22:34 pm »

Is there any known way to mitigate the number of visitors that are in complete disregard for the standard visitor restrictions? I've seen a number of other people playing the game without the problems I'm having.

NOPE

murder works, but the results vary
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 04:03:33 pm »

They're either lucky, playing a previous version, or playing in a boring completely depopulated world. It's a major bug in the current version. Don't worry, will be addressed soon.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 12:34:56 pm »

Mysterious tavern accidents can work wonders. Get all the dorfs busy elsewhere, and then 'accidentally' flood the room after locking the doors.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 12:58:57 pm »

In my experience, killing unwelcome guests doesn't help, because they are as innumerable as grains of sand, and a new one will pop onto the edge of the map the instant an old one dies. I wish there were a way to specify types of welcome visitors: "Scholars and performers welcome; vacationing monster hunters with no intent to hunt actual monsters need not apply."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 10:05:34 pm »

In my experience, killing unwelcome guests doesn't help, because they are as innumerable as grains of sand, and a new one will pop onto the edge of the map the instant an old one dies. I wish there were a way to specify types of welcome visitors: "Scholars and performers welcome; vacationing monster hunters with no intent to hunt actual monsters need not apply."
In my experience, monster hunters who don't hunt monsters are spies (with obviously no intention of venturing into your caverns). The real deal petition right away and get down to business.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 05:12:53 am »

This should be fixed in the next version: https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 05:23:18 am »

I tried turning my tavern to a murder pit full of wooden, then iron, spears, turns out they just keep coming...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »

My drop 5z, get stunned and caged trap worked in about 6 out of 40 visitors. 
And of the 6 captured, 2 died in the cage being dwarfs and hungry or thirsty. 
And of those 36 who survived the fall, were promptly drowned.
Of the 36 dead visitors, 2 of them were related to one of my miner. 

I now have over 80 engraved slabs of dead visitors.
At least it makes use of cluttered boulders.