Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 95620 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #1155 on: November 28, 2020, 10:50:50 pm »

It's neat, but it's even more unfair than the rest of an already unfair game.

Just like the simulations
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: November 29, 2020, 03:44:45 am »

why do people always go on about space bombs like those weren't in pre-disney darling battlefront 2, among other things, not to mention that star wars space fighting physics have literally always been completely wacky

One is a franchised out video game and one is a mainline movie. Hardly comparable.
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: November 29, 2020, 11:10:13 am »

About space bombs: the "bombs" from the tie bombers (and other faction equivalents in Battlefront) are proton torpedos, which move slowly to penetrate shields (thats a thing in Star Wars, move slow enough and you can get through *most* but not all shields). You can even see in the asteroids scene in A New Hope that they travel in a linear fashion like they are "launched" or self-propelled.

The bombs in TLJ are just magnetic dummy bombs, which is kind of stupid considering A.) better technology exists, and B.) literally everyone possesses that better technology. The only reason they did that was because "Star Wars space combat emulates WW2 air combat", but they took it too far when really Lucas just cut together some dogfighting b-rolls back in the day to inspire the special effects crew. There were always different rules for how heavy ordnance and capital ships worked. And yknow... bomber mechanics were already established... in the movies. So yea, it was dumb.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: November 29, 2020, 12:13:56 pm »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: November 29, 2020, 02:05:36 pm »

RIP, Darth Vader's bristollian body....

"When Oi left you, I was but a littl' bleeder."

"Oi am altering the deal, me ole mucker..."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:23:15 am by Starver »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: November 30, 2020, 09:15:14 am »

About space bombs: the "bombs" from the tie bombers (and other faction equivalents in Battlefront) are proton torpedos, which move slowly to penetrate shields (thats a thing in Star Wars, move slow enough and you can get through *most* but not all shields). You can even see in the asteroids scene in A New Hope that they travel in a linear fashion like they are "launched" or self-propelled.

Well, yeah, but BF2 had proton torpedoes and proton bombs as separate things. X-wings got proton torpedoes, Y-wings got the bombs, for example. The bombs followed a nice parabolic path "downward", even in space battles, where *bafflingly* they would always accelerate in the same direction, so I would e.g. flip so that the star destroyer I'm bombing is "down" then find that, whoops, turns out the shield generator I'm trying to bomb is still "up" somehow, even though I'm in space.

Of course, do note that the appearances list is almost entirely video games. Both the legends and canon articles claims that they showed up in Empire, but I can't damn well remember what that might be referring to.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:18:01 am by Putnam »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: November 30, 2020, 10:24:22 am »

Also would like to point out the sonic bomb in space from Episode II (space battle between Jango and Obi-Wan). Makes even less sense than a space bomb going "down", yet it was really cool.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: November 30, 2020, 10:31:45 am »

That'd be the Praxis Effect/Planar Shockwave thing (amongst other liberties), yes?

(It could charitably be said that the kinds of things often given as an excuse for non-spherical explosions, like the way something critically escapes whatever confinement field it escapes, could be deliberately invoked for a smart weapon that would like not to dissipate by the full inverse-square law if it can help it.  Though the better design - if you have that capability and a good idea of where it should aim itself, would probably be to explode out of thr 'poles' rather than the equator, with energy squeezed into two opposing jets. One aimed at whatever you're attacking, the other not pointing at anything you overly care about if you can help it. But you're likely not laying/firing your space-mines on a direct track between you and the target, always a bit to the side just because of general manouvering, so that's not an immediate concern - or a good way for a wise enemy to exploit your weapons' own 'smarts' by trying to run straight over them, and then a smarter-yet user of the weapons to draw the 'smart enemy' into dumbly going through a bit of space you actually want them to...)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:42:50 am by Starver »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: November 30, 2020, 04:11:09 pm »

Also would like to point out the sonic bomb in space from Episode II (space battle between Jango and Obi-Wan). Makes even less sense than a space bomb going "down", yet it was really cool.

Best thing about the movie by far. :P

bomb goes THOOOOOOOOOOOM
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: November 30, 2020, 06:29:31 pm »

bomb goes THOOOOOOOOOOOM
The scene is just great. There's no music in it either, it's just the sound of the guns and bombs.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 01, 2020, 04:12:10 am »

bomb goes THOOOOOOOOOOOM

the goddamn missile slowing down like it was a loony tunes cartoon tho.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 01, 2020, 08:48:58 am »

Y'know the bombs can easily be explained away by falling into the artificial gravity fields of the ships they're being fired at, tho I'm not sure the exact mechanics of how their artificial gravity systems were ever technobabbled away
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: December 01, 2020, 08:59:50 am »

Y'know the bombs can easily be explained away by falling into the artificial gravity fields of the ships they're being fired at, tho I'm not sure the exact mechanics of how their artificial gravity systems were ever technobabbled away
* Teneb waves hand

It just works.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 01, 2020, 12:48:53 pm »

yea I think shipwide gravity fields have always been handwaved, they don't even extend to the outer hull of the ship though (as seen in various Star Wars media).
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 01, 2020, 01:05:15 pm »

Personally I choose to believe there is no gravity generation and everybody is just running around with tiny magnets in their shoes.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 81