Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 97161 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #645 on: May 29, 2018, 02:42:10 pm »

The real story is that Lukas doesn't understand parsecs, but okay.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 29, 2018, 02:43:16 pm »

I mean, I'm sure he didn't, but the story explained in some of the EU books is actually fairly reasonable and interesting, hence why I'm sticking with it.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 29, 2018, 02:44:35 pm »

I mean, I'm sure he didn't, but the story explained in some of the EU books is actually fairly reasonable and interesting, hence why I'm sticking with it.

+1
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 29, 2018, 02:45:55 pm »

(It does have the neat implication that the speed of ships through hyperspace doesn't depend on the power of your engines, but on the quality of your flight computer and the guts of your pilot. Which would be a neat piece of worldbuilding if anyone actually remembered that. :P)
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 29, 2018, 02:48:09 pm »

I mean, nobody was concerned with that because it was demonstrably not true. The Falcon *was* a very fast ship in hyperspace, but when you reach the limits of hyperspace tech (available to the criminal underworld, Imperial ships are noted to be faster than the Falcon if they push it) and still want to go faster, THEN you have to do some fun things, like cut it really, really close to something big and dangerous.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 30, 2018, 12:34:45 am »

Haven't seen TLJ, saw TFA on tbs or some shit just recently, but as for Solo all I have to say is this:

Mario Van Peebles is the man goddammit!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 30, 2018, 11:20:48 pm »

The real story is that Lukas doesn't understand parsecs, but okay.

Nah, in the script it was originally noted that Han was trying to test to see how much he could con them, and Alec Guinness was supposed to give a tell that he knew it was false information.  That proved to not be obvious enough, and it was taken literally.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 30, 2018, 11:52:34 pm »

The 1977 novel (before the movie) says "timeunits" instead of parsecs, which puts the "it was a distance of the run" argument to bed, at least for author's intent.

However, the first published script for the movie, from 1979 says "parsecs" but immediately says "Ben reacts to Solo's stupid attempt to impress them with obvious misinformation". There's some dispute about whether that was actually in the shooting scripts, which have leaked since, dated 1976, however the original scripts were heavily marked with penciled-in direction and stuff since they were constantly being rejiggered and stuff, so it's perfectly possible some additional direction was penciled-into the early typed scripts, and only for the relevant person, Alec Guinness. Remember this was before word processing was a thing, so you just manually penciled notes in.

However, you can check for yourself with the actual footage showing Obi-Wans reaction to the claim. It's about 15-20 second in here, so just go from the top. Notice that after Solo's claim, Obi Wans eyes widen for a split second then he does a little sudden squint, like he's mulled over what was said and immediately going "hang on, wtf does that even mean?"

However, this is still compatible with the later "parsecs measures how short the run was" idea, though Obi Wan's doubting reaction can still work with that. Han could have meant that he shaved distance off the route, meaning he's a good pilot who'll get you there quicker, while Obi Wan didn't know what he meant, so is like "is this guy for real?" The fact that Obi Wan still went with Han Solo however, even with the possibly false bragging, is that he could sense Han Solo was a good guy.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:00:48 am by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 01, 2018, 10:10:17 am »

Saw Solo last night. *AGH* Mixed feelings ahoy. Y'all overreacting on the liberation "subplot", subplot is a pretty gratuitous label for it. I was cringing because I was expecting something more, but honestly, it was all fairly inconsequential. It's more like Lando's comical love subplot? That better encompasses the whole thing.

More notes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:22:05 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 01, 2018, 10:13:14 am »

Saw Solo last night. *AGH* Mixed feelings ahoy. Y'all overreacting on the liberation "subplot", subplot is a pretty gratuitous label for it. I was cringing because I was expecting something more, but honestly, it was all fairly inconsequential.

To put it in perspective, I haven't seen the movie either. I'm not talking about the movie, I was talking about the media narrative about the movie, and that's the one thing I saw mentioned the most. What's actually in the movie isn't relevant: the media spin is it's own story. The point is that you were "expecting something more" and that that was what affected how you approached the work.

e.g. from all that I know, and i've skipped reading most of your post to avoid spoilers since I might watch it on TV one day, is that it's all about sexy black pansexual dudes, and feminist liberation class warfare bots.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:16:03 am by Reelya »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 01, 2018, 10:15:47 am »

I mean, it has Feminist overtones.

lol, did anyone even mention that in this thread??? Or am I just going crazy? Maybe I'm getting the streams crossed with the Westworld discussion thread.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:17:38 am by Urist McScoopbeard »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 01, 2018, 10:20:57 am »

e.g. from all that I know, and i've skipped reading most of your post to avoid spoilers since I might watch it on TV one day, is that it's all about sexy black pansexual dudes, and feminist liberation class warfare bots.

Um ya, the whole "Lando is pan" comment is a bit overblown. It's just kind of a comedic romance. Feminist liberation class warfare bot pretty perfectly describes L3, she's also a pretty good pilot and nav computer. I don't think I really spoiled anything??? I will recheck what I wrote.

EDIT: will spoil for posterity.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 01, 2018, 11:12:21 am »

Darth Maul was a decent character cast in the role of a cardboard cutout in Episode One. This was to contrast Anakin, who was a cardboard cutout cast in the role of an interesting character. Maul had some cool dueling scenes though.

And Paul Bettany is always underutilized.

Um ya, the whole "Lando is pan" comment is a bit overblown.

They should've gone for Solo being pan... Then they could've had a little Hanky Panky.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 01, 2018, 11:19:47 am »

Right. Applying that to anyone except the lead role in the movie isn't actually progressivism at all. Plenty of movies have a token this or that as a side character. They didn't jump right in and say that Han was anything other than this 100% cisgender straight white dude because that's the line they can't cross. And piling the alt-sexuality onto the "designated minority character" is in itself "problematic".

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 02, 2018, 08:59:37 am »

BTW The Onion review of Rogue One.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS8qZkhOAoY
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 81