Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 97196 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #840 on: January 09, 2019, 04:20:42 pm »

I mean
sand IS awful

Episode 2 is pretty weird.  My most recent watching was probably improved by watching with a die-hard fan who pointed out a lot of plot points which the movie... more references than shows.  The political intrigue which follows from the first movie and builds up to the third movie.

The movie fails to deliver it properly, and should be judged for that.  Much like Boba Fett in 4-6:  He's narratively crucial, basically the reason the Empire is able to track the Falcon, but in his actual *appearances* just stands around and eventually falls into a big mouth.

Movies are supposed to hold the audience's hand to some extent, or at least eventually a clear explanation which reveals the earlier mystery points.  The Prequels technically foreshadow Anakin's fall, but it's usually... kinda like dogwhistles.  Signals that most people won't pick up on, unless you already *way* understand the lore.  So to a normal viewer, it looks like he goes straight from "I had a bad dream" to "Kill all the younglings" to "Oh no I'm evil".
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 09, 2019, 04:39:58 pm »

I've read some explanations of his fall that did make it a little bit more natural, but I'm not sure a single movie could possibly have covered it all in a natural way.  There almost had to be an info dump explaining it, which is the problem.

The pacing of all three prequels feels terrible in that sense.  They really needed three movies with Anakin as an adult and working through all of his problems to get to that point.  Spending one on him as a kid didn't set them up to succeed on that front, and I don't even remember what Anakin did in Episode II other than get his hand cut off.  At least I think that was in Episode II.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 09, 2019, 05:40:54 pm »

I mean
sand IS awful

Episode 2 is pretty weird.  My most recent watching was probably improved by watching with a die-hard fan who pointed out a lot of plot points which the movie... more references than shows.  The political intrigue which follows from the first movie and builds up to the third movie.

The movie fails to deliver it properly, and should be judged for that.  Much like Boba Fett in 4-6:  He's narratively crucial, basically the reason the Empire is able to track the Falcon, but in his actual *appearances* just stands around and eventually falls into a big mouth.

Movies are supposed to hold the audience's hand to some extent, or at least eventually a clear explanation which reveals the earlier mystery points.  The Prequels technically foreshadow Anakin's fall, but it's usually... kinda like dogwhistles.  Signals that most people won't pick up on, unless you already *way* understand the lore.  So to a normal viewer, it looks like he goes straight from "I had a bad dream" to "Kill all the younglings" to "Oh no I'm evil".
Some cut scenes also would've helped, like Anakin outright murdering another child in Ep1.

That movie probably would've worked better if Anakin started as a teenager, and would make the Anakin-Padmé romance less... problematic, since both would've been around the same age.

I don't even remember what Anakin did in Episode II other than get his hand cut off.  At least I think that was in Episode II.
It was.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 09, 2019, 06:04:20 pm »

I don't think I've seen Episode 2, outside of the big battle at the end and the Deathsticks scene.

Does reading Darths & Droids count?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:30 pm »

Clone Wars 2003 handled Anakin pretty well IMO. :V
Whole prequel trilogy shoulda been like that TBH~
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 09, 2019, 06:14:23 pm »

The other Clone Wars also has a pretty decent Anakin.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 09, 2019, 06:17:47 pm »

The other Clone Wars also has a pretty decent Anakin.
Quoted for truth.  I'm pretty sure I've talked about that before, but the Clone Wars series was *exactly* the content which the Prequels needed between dramatic moments (and... filler hijinks).

Obviously the Clone Wars has filler/action content too, but as a TV show it was able to actually build the characters.  Show their humanity, their virtues, and also their weaknesses.  If a remake can "ruin" childhoods, this is an addition which redeemed the Prequels.

almost as much as darth darth binks would have but waaa
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 09, 2019, 06:22:13 pm »

I've never watched that one, no doubt partially due to a distaste for 3D animation. Like, gross.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 09, 2019, 08:49:53 pm »

I've never watched that one, no doubt partially due to a distaste for 3D animation. Like, gross.

Main highlights: Padme does more stuff to try and stall the inevitable rise of the Empire and broker peace with the CIS. Anakin gets an actual gradual decline from hotheaded hero to being pretty ruthless. Obi-Wan is a sarcastic quiplord with a more fleshed out personality and a tragic character arc. Darth Maul comes back and is pretty cool though rather OTT at times. Sadistic Palpatine comes out to play a few times. The Confederacy is fleshed out so it's not entirely maniacal idiots, though it is still run largely by maniacal idiots. The conflict within the Republic about the war is explored a bit, as well as anti-Jedi sentiment. Clones with actual distinct personalities and emotional moments. Star Wars Vietnam was a thing.

C3-P0 gets tortured.  :D

Bad stuff: Jar Jar is still in it, and he looks even more terrible than normal. Droid humour usually falls flat. Lots of jumping the shark moments. Names are often very silly, but hey, that's Star Wars for you. It's rare for a battle to hold tension unless it involves one of the few characters you know can actually die before the Empire rises, which basically means clones and non-movie Jedi. Grievous is horribly incompetent compared to most depictions, including the movie version.

The entire first season.  :(
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 09, 2019, 08:53:04 pm »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:41 pm »

Relevant: The Auralnauts Star Wars Parodies.

"It's Heroin."

EDIT: Conversely, the Ep.2 version of these is my favorite.
EDIT2: More NSFW audio than I recall lol.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:07:28 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 09, 2019, 09:17:06 pm »

snip
Hey now, you take the Jar Jar stuff back. He's actually pretty damn good in the series. Trolls a lot, too.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 09, 2019, 09:21:56 pm »

snip
Hey now, you take the Jar Jar stuff back. He's actually pretty damn good in the series. Trolls a lot, too.

I will admit he's more useful than in the movies. Still looks atrocious in the style.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 09, 2019, 09:24:54 pm »

snip

I will admit he's more useful than in the movies. Still looks atrocious in the style.

That's because all gungans have stupid design.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 09, 2019, 10:36:52 pm »

Episode 3 by itself isn't quite as cringey on the padnakinme scale as Episode 2, BUT, Episode 2 has the only cute interaction between the two of them, when she busts out the aggressive negotiations line and for that instant they make sense as a budding couple, slightly lifting the rest of the movie above 3 on the cringe meter.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 81