Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question! DF v43.05 + LAA  (Read 1223 times)

m4ss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question! DF v43.05 + LAA
« on: December 30, 2017, 11:59:38 pm »

I am running dwarf fortress (LNP, version 43.05, with about 60 dwarfs, i have temp turned off because i heard it causes lag). Although i am getting 20 fps (calculation fps) when i play. I have read on forums about making df LAA, and i cant seem to figure out how to do it. I believe this will help my situation dramatically seeing as df is only using a couple hundred (peaked at a little over 600) MBs of my memory. I have 4 gigs and want to be able to use more so i can get better performance. Any suggestions on how i can get LAA to run?

Note: i have tried to use https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/ to make df LAA, it dose not seem to make a difference.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Question! DF v43.05 + LAA
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 03:01:55 am »

Are you playing 32 or 64-bit DF? 64-bit is already LAA.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 03:50:50 am »

Also, I fail to see why access to 4 GB (less in Windoze) rather than 2 GB would improve performance if you're not using the memory you already have. LAA for the 32 bit version prevents DF from crashing (for a while longer) when it runs out of memory, but that has nothing to do with performance.
I think you're trying to get DF to use more of the physical memory to avoid getting things swapped to disk, but LAA is completely unrelated to that, so I think you're barking up the wrong tree. (And no, I don't know how you'd get your OS to allocate more physical memory to DF if that's the problem, which I doubt, apart from the common sense one of minimizing the number of other programs running on the computer at the same time).
You're probably better off trying to look at the wiki, where there is a page containing info about FPS improvement measures (although it didn't do much for me).
Visitors consume FPS, as do animals, so the number of dorfs is not the only unit metric of interest.

m4ss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 10:55:21 am »

Also, I fail to see why access to 4 GB (less in Windoze) rather than 2 GB would improve performance if you're not using the memory you already have. LAA for the 32 bit version prevents DF from crashing (for a while longer) when it runs out of memory, but that has nothing to do with performance.
I think you're trying to get DF to use more of the physical memory to avoid getting things swapped to disk, but LAA is completely unrelated to that, so I think you're barking up the wrong tree. (And no, I don't know how you'd get your OS to allocate more physical memory to DF if that's the problem, which I doubt, apart from the common sense one of minimizing the number of other programs running on the computer at the same time).
You're probably better off trying to look at the wiki, where there is a page containing info about FPS improvement measures (although it didn't do much for me).
Visitors consume FPS, as do animals, so the number of dorfs is not the only unit metric of interest.

I tried to use more memory in generating a medium map and while generating. At year ~100 it chugs down to 1 and even less frames. While still using only ~600 MBs. If it’s not using more processing power than what’s given I don’t understand the lag. And would like to get rid of it.

m4ss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:56:50 am »

Are you playing 32 or 64-bit DF? 64-bit is already LAA.

Not sure. But I’m going to assume 32 bit seeing as how it is using so little of my memory. I believe LNP does not have a 64 bit version out yet.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:08:23 am »

LNP went 64 bits virtually immediately, and 32 bits was abandoned. World gen can take a very long time and is NOT what's meant with FPS normally. Longer history and more things happening slows things down a lot during world gen.
Also note that DF is essentially single threaded, so it will only use one core, but should use that one to close to 100% during world gen.

m4ss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:31:26 am »

LNP went 64 bits virtually immediately, and 32 bits was abandoned. World gen can take a very long time and is NOT what's meant with FPS normally. Longer history and more things happening slows things down a lot during world gen.
Also note that DF is essentially single threaded, so it will only use one core, but should use that one to close to 100% during world gen.
Interesting. So LAA won’t help me in my situation? Not using all my computers resources yet still experiencing a drop in frame rate is just expected?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 08:49:53 pm »

It doesn't matter how many lanes an uncongested road has if you're using a single car: you can only use a single lane. That's what single threading does: using a single core, with the other ones idle (or at least not able to help with that task).
World gen can be very slow. My standard world takes something like 3 hours for 400 years of history.
DF is simulating everything that happens in the world and updates the screen once per year (after the very beginning, when things may be fast), and each year can take many minutes to generate.

Since DF is single threaded you can do other things while waiting, as long as those things don't try to hog all the cores and/or the memory, or just leave the computer to chew on world gen while doing other things (you can also generate pocket worlds to speed things up).